Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our best performance in the PL?

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I watched the full 90 minutes this morning and it left me wondering whether that was our best performance in our four and a quarter seasons in the PL?

The factors I am considering are that Liverpool are absolutely flying this season, it was away and in front of a full house. Also the actual manner of how we played, there was no hint of smash and grab.

Other games I considered:

Arsenal away win - arsenal were not that great that season but it’s up there.
Tottenham home win (3-0) - Spurs were in free fall so discounted it.
Man United home wins - Under Mourinho I always felt there are average but that 3-2 was excellent.
Winning at Liverpool last season. Because they lost 6 home games in a row and there were no fans that win did feel a bit cheap but I also don’t think we played as well as we did yesterday.
Man City last season - a lame duck match with them down to 10 for most the game.

All of the above are wins so arguably should be considered better then yesterday but I still think the case could be made for that being the best all round performance so far…

What ones have I missed?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't think you can so easily discredit the Spurs win.

That was a team fresh from the Champions League Final and we didn't just beat them.

I was sat back in my chair for the last 30 mins flicking through The NewYorker and smoking a cigar, safe in the knowledge the 3 points were already ours.

As last season proved that ain't as easy as it sounds for #TeamsLikeBrighton.

If yesterday turns out to be the catalyst for something generational then yeah sure.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I don't think you can so easily discredit the Spurs win.

That was a team fresh from the Champions League Final and we didn't just beat them.

I was sat back in my chair for the last 30 mins flicking through The NewYorker and smoking a cigar, safe in the knowledge the 3 points were already ours.

As last season proved that ain't as easy as it sounds for #TeamsLikeBrighton.

If yesterday turns out to be the catalyst for something generational then yeah sure.

Fair enough, I had forgotten about the Champions League element however as I recall Poch was sacked a month after we bit them which shows how much they were in a downward spiral.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That 3-0 win at West Ham early in our first PL season was epic. Really made me feel we could belong and survive at this level.

I think one of our greatest performances was in that 2-3 at home to Man U when we were absolutely robbed at the end. We battered a top side and got nothing, but through being so gutted, I was stlll just thrilled by the performance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair enough, I had forgotten about the Champions League element however as I recall Poch was sacked a month after we bit them which shows how much they were in a downward spiral.

They should have beaten us with Steve Bruce as manager.
They should have been competitive with Steve Evans as manager.

As it is we still owned them for the entire 90 minutes.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Only seen four from the CH era so cant say anything about that.

In the Potter era I think the opening game against United last year was probably the best one. Spurs game in the first GP season was also very good. Both wins against Leeds last season were also pretty nice, just like win against City.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
You're confusing results and performances. I'd agree the 2-3 loss to Man U was a better performance across 90 minutes. Yesterday we were good from 40 minutes through 85.

There are I'm sure other games too where we've been 'on it' for a longer period as well.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In the light of history, I think the departure of Poch will go down as the start of the decline. I wonder if they've finished paying off Mourinho yet - or does he own the ground now? :wink:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
That 3-0 win at West Ham early in our first PL season was epic. Really made me feel we could belong and survive at this level.

I think one of our greatest performances was in that 2-3 at home to Man U when we were absolutely robbed at the end. We battered a top side and got nothing, but through being so gutted, I was stlll just thrilled by the performance.

The West Ham game was a great result, but despite the score line there was a lot of backs-to-the-wall defending until we’d got the penalty to go 3-0. And they were a bottom-half team that year.

I can’t think of a game where we’ve looked so good against such quality, in-form opposition - who played their strongest possible team with no significant injuries, suspensions or early red cards - as yesterday, and away from home as well!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Chelsea.

When it finally happens.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Spurs 3-0 was one of the few games (against a 'big' side) where I felt we were in total control from whistle to whistle, in every department.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Yesterday was probably our best ever EPL performance. It wasn't perfect though. And Liverpool's defence/defensive midfield is very average this season. Even Brentford put 3 past them so not getting too carried away.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Albion 3-0 Spuds

We outplayed, out fought and out ran the $$$$ CL finalists in both halves.

So good, for once you could lap it up and relax in real time. The third goal was scored in the 65’, leaving time for 30 minutes of euphoric Amex singing.

Context too - they started with the full works of Kane, Son, Vertongen, Eriksen, Alderweireld, Lamela.

Sissoko and Ndombele couldn’t handle it and tried to hurt our players with coward’s challenges.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Given how massive they are, the away win at Leeds, and beating the greatest manager ever in Bielsa

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here