Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Shane Duffy - 100 Premier League appearances.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1454787297988202498[/tweet]

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can’t tell you how happy I am for Shane, he is an Albion legend and however it’s happened he has turned things around brilliantly going from player of the season to surplus to requirements and a nightmare at Celtic to what is looking like a shoo in for the Albion. I was shocked he was picked yesterday too, so pleased for him. :shrug:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Anyone who has any doubts that he is a PL quality player really knows very little about football. Well done Shane

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are there any Albion fans who don't love big Shane?

Yes quite a few.

Just go back to Duffy to Celtic thread, there's an awful lot of pointless drivel written by many who thought he was gone, never coming back, so they were safe to put the boot in.

But you don't even have to look back that far.

Salah was going to do Duffy all ends up, all afternoon yesterday.

But inexplicably I've read him as the weakest link in defence AFTER yesterday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and in the interests of full disclosure, despite my love for the big lug I never saw 'this' in Shane's future.

Like many others I had him starting this season at Forest while sliding into the place of footnote in Albion history.

I'm so happy for him to be wrong about that, but as said, others less so.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes quite a few.

Just go back to Duffy to Celtic thread, there's an awful lot of pointless drivel written by many who thought he was gone, never coming back, so they were safe to put the boot in.

But you don't even have to look back that far.

Salah was going to do Duffy all ends up, all afternoon yesterday.

But inexplicably I've read him as the weakest link in defence AFTER yesterday.

Well l must be honest, l thought he was gone, never coming back, after his much publicized problems at Celtic, but surely he has proved all of us wrong now.

Not many defenders could be siad to have Mo Salah in their pocket, and prevent him from scoring for the first time in heaven knows how many games.

Impossible to understand people who don't rate him now.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Leaving aside the magnificent Dunk-Duffy-bodies-on-the-line combo, big Shane's goals have dug us out of many a hole. Memory might be failing but wasn't he actually top scorer a couple of seasons back?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Leaving aside the magnificent Dunk-Duffy-bodies-on-the-line combo, big Shane's goals have dug us out of many a hole. Memory might be failing but wasn't he actually top scorer a couple of seasons back?

Second top scorer in the 18-19 season with 5 PL goals behind Glenn Murray who got 13.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Let's be honest, Shane himself has said he thought his days here were gone. No shame in writing him off after the year or two he had had. Credit to the big guy for fighting back

Also credit to Potter for giving him the chance, many wouldn’t have done after his utter shitshow in the green hoops.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Are there any Albion fans who don't love big Shane?

Apparently quite a few when it wasn’t going right for him last season. A lot of I told you so’s and he’s not up to it.

Always be a legend in my eyes and made my night, the day we went up dancing around and singing songs with him in the lanes.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Can’t tell you how happy I am for Shane, he is an Albion legend and however it’s happened he has turned things around brilliantly going from player of the season to surplus to requirements and a nightmare at Celtic to what is looking like a shoo in for the Albion. I was shocked he was picked yesterday too, so pleased for him. :shrug:
Pleased (and yes, surprised too) to see him doing so well for us. Still think that when Webster is back up and running, Duffy may be alternating with Veltman depending on who we're playing (or playing when Veltman is playing RWB in Lamptey's absence).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He was terrific yesterday. I think he got caught once high up the field when he went to close down Firminho and failed, leaving a huge Mane-sized gap behind him but thankfully Dunk got there to tidy up. Not much he could do about the second goal, just a perfect ball in. Other than that he did what he does - blocked and blocked and blocked. I've not uttered a sour word against him, he has always been IMMENSE for us, and I really thought breaking up that D&D partnership was a mistake, even with the more cultured Webster coming in.

He's just a brilliant blood-and-guts defender, he always leaves everything out on the pitch for us. I've never once thought "oh no, Duffy" when I see him in the lineup. He'll be an Albion legend.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
While the tweet is correct the thread title is inaccurate given that Duffy appeared for Everton in the PL.and therefore should be Shane Duffy - 105 Premier League appearances.

I bet your fun at parties.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
After Ben White impressing enough to form a back 3 with Dunk and Webster it was obvious that some of the unsteady Duffy performances around 2019 meant he was the odd one out, and the Celtic loan looked a good move. At that point all seemed right with moving him on, allowing our defence to evolve, and even Shane himself was well up for the new challenge in Scotland. But since his return he has looked every bit a Premier League centre back so well done him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He was terrific yesterday. I think he got caught once high up the field when he went to close down Firminho and failed, leaving a huge Mane-sized gap behind him but thankfully Dunk got there to tidy up. Not much he could do about the second goal, just a perfect ball in. Other than that he did what he does - blocked and blocked and blocked. I've not uttered a sour word against him, he has always been IMMENSE for us, and I really thought breaking up that D&D partnership was a mistake, even with the more cultured Webster coming in.

He's just a brilliant blood-and-guts defender, he always leaves everything out on the pitch for us. I've never once thought "oh no, Duffy" when I see him in the lineup. He'll be an Albion legend.
This is the bit I don't get regarding us dyed to the wool Albion lifers.

We've been bought up on a diet of blood and thunder, backs to the wall, thou shalt not pass centre backs.

Sure every once in a while we get a little treat.
A midfielder who likes to pass forward.
A winger who can occasionally run.
A player who can kickie ball into goal.

But they've all be backed up by a double hard b*****d.
It's all we know.

The Duffmans linage is embedded in all of us.

How can you dismiss him?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here