Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Very Flattering Piece in the Telegraph today about our Mr Potter

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
My immediate reaction was please stop talking about him.
In case you don't have a subscription I will paste it below.

Sorry, Brighton, but Graham Potter is good enough to be next Manchester United manager
In orchestrating the fightback against Liverpool, Potter proved that he could do wonders for a club in the Champions League

By
Chris Bascombe
31 October 2021 • 10:51am
Graham Potter
Potter is developing a fan club that includes Pep Guardiola and now Jurgen Klopp
There’s a touch of the Electric Light Orchestra’s Jeff Lynne about Brighton’s Graham Potter.

It’s a natural consequence of that Midlands accent and the modest way Potter casually shrugs off the compliments of Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp — unavoidably sounding like Lynne downplaying the tributes of Roy Orbison and George Harrison.

Behind that beard, it is possible there is an unassuming genius. That’s why VIP membership of the Potter fanclub is growing. Guardiola has often sounded like its chairman and head spokesman in his praise for the Brighton coach. After Saturday’s 2-2 draw, Klopp was again compelled to acknowledge how tricky it is facing a manager who shares his risk-and-reward principles.

Link > https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...am-potter-good-enough-next-manchester-united/

Last edited by a moderator:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My immediate reaction was please stop talking about him.
In case you don't have a subscription I will paste it below.

In orchestrating the fightback against Liverpool, Potter proved that he could do wonders for a club in the Champions League

By
Chris Bascombe
31 October 2021 • 10:51am
Graham Potter
Potter is developing a fan club that includes Pep Guardiola and now Jurgen Klopp
There’s a touch of the Electric Light Orchestra’s Jeff Lynne about Brighton’s Graham Potter.

It’s a natural consequence of that Midlands accent and the modest way Potter casually shrugs off the compliments of Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp — unavoidably sounding like Lynne downplaying the tributes of Roy Orbison and George Harrison.

Behind that beard, it is possible there is an unassuming genius. That’s why VIP membership of the Potter fanclub is growing. Guardiola has often sounded like its chairman and head spokesman in his praise for the Brighton coach. After Saturday’s 2-2 draw, Klopp was again compelled to acknowledge how tricky it is facing a manager who shares his risk-and-reward principles.

Again, please don't do this. The Telegraph has copyright to that article and NSC does not. And they're subscription for a reason. If we want to keep quality sports writing in this country then people need to pay for it somehow,

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The Telegraph is a quality read on most things, sport at its best. Even though I think it has a political blind spot.

But these articles are hardly beacons. We all know that at some stage a force above will come in for Graham.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We're doomed.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
He may be good enough for Man Utd, but are the Man Utd hierarchy good enough for Graham Potter? There’s not a huge amount of direction at that club at the moment.

I’d like to think Potter knows the value of a stable job and realistic expectations (NSC not included :lolol:) .

Not sure he’d get that there.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Also known as "too good for Manchester United".

GP was interviewed in Swedish media last week and when asked about interest from bigger clubs he just said "I've completed two years of a six year project".

There will be talk anytime a big club sack their manager or in this case even before (personally I think Ole will manage United for the rest of the season) but that really doesnt mean it will happen.

Now, people are going to say "in the end they are all the same, looking for fat pay and glory", but if you look closer you should realise that GP is not your average manager and not your average individual.

I really think 3,5 more years at Brighton is the most likely outcome.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
There's no reason to worry, whether Potter leaves or stays.

1) This is a tightly run club, with long term succession planning.

2) We have Barber, Ashworth and his Brighton DNA running through all the staff.

3) We've just been discussing just how impressive our recruitment is, with recent hires, and the pipeline of future players, both academy and those we don't know about. Bear in mind we've only got a rear-view mirror to judge it by.

4) We will - of course - have been doing the same with the management and coaching staff. Why wouldn't we?

5) It's highly likely that we'll have identified a list of potential candidates for the position of Potter v2.0, possibly including internal candidates. We may have already sounded/filtered some of them out. The recent departure of Simon Rusk may offer a window on this process.

That's what TB and his staff do. They plan ahead.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was wondering about this very subject this morning as I walked the dog. Logic would say that GP certainly has the potential to build a dynasty at a struggling big club.

Two questions

1) Would he be given time? He was being slagged off and ready for the sack from about 1/3rd of NSCers of L’il Ole Brighton late last year and we are generally pretty patient in comparison to the fans of big clubs

2) Would your Ronaldos and other superstars accept being dropped and told to reign in the individual showboating and be part of a team. He has no decent history as a player or manager, yet.

Put the two together and it would be a massive gamble, do big clubs take gambles? I don’t think they do :shrug:

Or should I say, I bloody hope they don’t!!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I was wondering about this very subject this morning as I walked the dog. Logic would say that GP certainly has the potential to build a dynasty at a struggling big club.

Two questions

1) Would he be given time? He was being slagged off and ready for the sack from about 1/3rd of NSCers of L’il Ole Brighton late last year and we are generally pretty patient in comparison to the fans of big clubs

2) Would your Ronaldos and other superstars accept being dropped and told to reign in the individual showboating and be part of a team. He has no decent history as a player or manager, yet.

Put the two together and it would be a massive gamble, do big clubs take gambles? I don’t think they do :shrug:

Or should I say, I bloody hope they don’t!!

If Mikel Arteta (first manager job) and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (signed from ****ing Norway) are not gambles, then what are they..?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Also known as "too good for Manchester United".

GP was interviewed in Swedish media last week and when asked about interest from bigger clubs he just said "I've completed two years of a six year project".

There will be talk anytime a big club sack their manager or in this case even before (personally I think Ole will manage United for the rest of the season) but that really doesnt mean it will happen.

Now, people are going to say "in the end they are all the same, looking for fat pay and glory", but if you look closer you should realise that GP is not your average manager and not your average individual.

I really think 3,5 more years at Brighton is the most likely outcome.
And of course, even now Mr. Potter will be considerably richer than most people in this country. I know this doesn't apply to pl footballers - if they're on £100K a week it's disgraceful and disrespectful if they don't get £150K a week on their next contract - but I suspect GP is a little more grounded than that.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If Mikel Arteta (first manager job) and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (signed from ****ing Norway) are not gambles, then what are they..?

So simple, club legends. Potter is not a legend even at lowly Saints.

A gamble on a legend who fans will give time (although Arsenal fans were wanting Arteta out earlier this season) is very different to a appointing a mediocre player who never played for any of the big clubs, and has been involved in two relegation struggles and hasn’t won anything at a decent level :shrug:

I think you are gagging to follow GP at a big club aren’t you? :lolol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So simple, club legends. Potter is not a legend even at lowly Saints.

A gamble on a legend who fans will give time (although Arsenal fans were wanting Arteta out earlier this season) is very different to a appointing a mediocre player who never played for any of the big clubs, and has been involved in two relegation struggles and hasn’t won anything at a decent level

I think you are gagging to follow GP at a big club aren’t you?

Sure, obviously I understand the multitude of reasons why they went with club legends. But they are without any doubt "chances" in terms of coaching ability. And over the years I think big clubs, even ignoring legends, have been more willing to take chances than people are willing to give them credit for. Rodgers, Wenger, Houllier, Grant, Pochettino, Pellegrini and Villas-Boas are some of the names that I immediatly think of. Spurs appointing NRD this summer is also not very different from someone approaching GP.

Oh yeah I love big football clubs...

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Sure, obviously I understand the multitude of reasons why they went with club legends. But they are without any doubt "chances" in terms of coaching ability. And over the years I think big clubs, even ignoring legends, have been more willing to take chances than people are willing to give them credit for. Rodgers, Wenger, Houllier, Grant, Pochettino, Pellegrini and Villas-Boas are some of the names that I immediatly think of. Spurs appointing NRD this summer is also not very different from someone approaching GP.

Oh yeah I love big football clubs...

You will no doubt correct me if I’m wrong but hadn’t all the managers you mention actually won something of substance prior to their appointments?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's ok. [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] thinks he's a "gormless Benny" so I'm quite sure nobody at a big club will even consider him. Potter has just been very very lucky and actually doesn't know what he's doing.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You will no doubt correct me if I’m wrong but hadn’t all the managers you mention actually won something of substance prior to their appointments?

Well... not really. Some did, some didnt: Wenger won a league title with Monaco sometime in the 80s and the Japanese Super Cup one or two years before going to Arsenal. Rodgers had won nothing. Avram Grant had a couple of Israelian league titles. Pochettino had nothing even resembling a title before going to Spurs. Pellegrini had a couple of South American league titles.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It's ok. [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION] thinks he's a "gormless Benny" so I'm quite sure nobody at a big club will even consider him. Potter has just been very very lucky and actually doesn't know what he's doing.

Think you are being a bit mean against THPP now. Good result yesterday so he will be mourning for a few days before appearing again, and then he will find you rubbing it in... just mean, man, especially considering how much he will suffer after the Newcastle game next week. Give him a break.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I wrote last week I wouldn't touch Utd with a barge pole until Ferguson was completely out of club.

Some one raised an eyebrow at that.

About 3 days later Jonathan Liew wrote much the same:-

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...nally-dump-fergusonism-and-make-a-clean-break

I think you'd need you head read going to Utd in the current circumstances.

This.

I've also written on here about how, while initially giving Fergie a chance to make his mark when many wanted him out turned out to be successful in the long term (or, perhaps, given where I'm going, the medium term) no one has ever adequately replaced him, nor will they all the time he's looking over them like a helicopter parent micro managing his kids doing the laundry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here