Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who do you drop to get Lamptey back on the starting lineup?

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
After today's performance, I think GP has a huge headache in selecting his team for next week against Newcastle.

Assuming Lamptey's ankle is OK and fit enough to start, do you drop Veltman (very unfair I think), Duffy (also harsh) or March or Moder in order to accommodate him?
Or a bit like Ali Mac, is he destined to be SuperSub for a while longer?

Maybe it's not a bad tactic to bring him on in the second half when the game gets stretched and players are tired.

And of course, with other potential starters on the bench like Gross and Webster, not to mention Maupay, it will be interesting to see what sort of team selection Potter decides upon my ext week.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
After today's performance, I think GP has a huge headache in selecting his team for next week against Newcastle.

Assuming Lamptey's ankle is OK and fit enough to start, do you drop Veltman (very unfair I think), Duffy (also harsh) or March or Moder in order to accommodate him?
Or a bit like Ali Mac, is he destined to be SuperSub for a while longer?

Maybe it's not a bad tactic to bring him on in the second half when the game gets stretched and players are tired.

And of course, with other potential starters on the bench like Gross and Webster, not to mention Maupay, it will be interesting to see what sort of team selection Potter decides upon my ext week.

What a headache to have!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Dan Burn (a walking catastrophy waiting to happen)
Pascal Gross (too slow)
Neal Maupay (couldnt score in a brothel)
Aaron Connolly (Aaron Connolly)

.. oh, they were already on the bench... hmm...

Seriously speaking there is definitely some luxuary problems right now with about 15 or 16 players you'd like to see start every week.

I think GP and the staff means what they say when they say that they will be taking it slow with Lamptey and that his first month could perhaps be as much as a month away. Dont really mind considering how fearsome he is against tired legs. Eventually he will need to start though.

And then there's also Webster who I dont think will remain on the bench. And all these midfielders... and Maupay...

Better qualify for Europe next season so that everyone can get as much playing time as they deserve.

SCassidy

Dec 2, 2020
Personally don't mind him starting on the bench so long as he comes on by the 60th minute. I appreciate he'll want more than that - and I'm not saying he definitely shouldn't start - but a fresh Lamptey against tiring opponents is lethal.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
By my recogning we have 16 outfield players seriously competing for 10 starting spots:
Dunk, Duffy, Webster, Burn, Veltman, Lamptey, Cucurella, March, Bissouma, Mwepu, Moder, Lallana, Gross, Mac Allister, Trossard, Maupay.

Connolly, Locadia and Alzate are more in and out with promising youth players sometimes displacing them.

Injuries aside, it should be Lamptey and Cucurella as wing backs, Dunk and Webster in the middle with Duffy/Burn/Veltman as the 'best' XI.

However sometimes we'll possibly have seven defenders playing (as below) and that'll be fine. It doesn't even look too defensive.

Sanchez
Veltman Duffy Dunk Webster Burn
Lamptey Bissouma Moder Cucurella
Maupay

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
By my recogning we have 16 outfield players seriously competing for 10 starting spots:
Dunk, Duffy, Webster, Burn, Veltman, Lamptey, Cucurella, March, Bissouma, Mwepu, Moder, Lallana, Gross, Mac Allister, Trossard, Maupay.

But that just isn't the case, is it?
Nobody is competing for Dunk's position, so you're down to 9 from 15.

The same applies to

Curcurella.
Lallana (for 60 minutes)
Trossard.

6 from 12.

Webster will make than 5 from 11.
Biss should be in the Dunk category, 4 from 10, and we'll find out soon enough whether he returns or not.

So as much as we can all be amazed at the tinkermans mind-blowing selections from a bingo machine.
What he's actually doing is bolting a specific attacking variation with 4 positions, onto a tried and tested chassis.

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
A great thread. All the pundits would say " What a great position for Potter to be in". When everyone is fit GP going to have a headache for sure.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Connolly, Locadia and Alzate are more in and out with promising youth players sometimes displacing them.

Injuries aside, it should be Lamptey and Cucurella as wing backs, Dunk and Webster in the middle with Duffy/Burn/Veltman as the 'best' XI.

However sometimes we'll possibly have seven defenders playing (as below) and that'll be fine. It doesn't even look too defensive.

Sanchez
Veltman Duffy Dunk Webster Burn
Lamptey Bissouma Moder Cucurella
Maupay
You forgot Welbeck (when fit)!

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
We’re going to have to have another first team playing in La Liga or the Bundesliga at this rate!

:falmer::bigwave::ffsparr::moo::D
This must be our best squad ever. Going toe to toe with Liverpool, and then in the second half being able to bring on Lamptey (surely future England player), Macallister (an Argentina international) and Gross (our leading assister in the PL).
And you look at the talent on loan and in the U23s. The strength in depth is fantastic.
Now waits for someone to point out we have no decent strikers....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This must be our best squad ever. Going toe to toe with Liverpool, and then in the second half being able to bring on Lamptey (surely future England player), Macallister (an Argentina international) and Gross (our leading assister in the PL).
And you look at the talent on loan and in the U23s. The strength in depth is fantastic.

You're forgetting the fact we have no decent strikers....

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Now waits for someone to point out we have no decent strikers....

Calling BW2.....

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I would think that this is exactly the kind of 'problem' that GP has asked to have / has engineered.
Given that he is very much one for putting out a team, formations and tactics that are tailored to each specific opponent that we face each week, who all have their own strengths and weaknesses, He now has the ability to choose what he sees to be just the right combination against whoever we are facing - and all of them are able to adapt to the specific demands / system / tactics that he wants to deploy for that specific game.
Given that we do not have a squad with the riches of City / Chelsea / Liverpool, this is the very best situation that we can be in (given our relative lack of cash compared to them).
The fluidity of the squad matches his fluidity of tactics between (and often within) each game.
The days of having a single starting 11, with very much second-best players on the bench for each rigid position, regardless of the opposition, are gone...
In my view of course - but what do I know compared to GP, I was wondering where our goals were going to come from yesterday when I saw the team sheet

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As per, there is no such thing as a specific best 11 anymore. He’ll pick (or try to) the best 11 to suit each game. As others have said, that means a core 6-8 that pretty much always play, and the other positions being rotated based on who we’re playing, ie playing Burnley? Pick Duffy. Playing Man City? Pick Veltman.

My thoughts, anyway.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Duffy and Veltman are both one booking from a ban so places will open up shortly to Lamptey and Webster.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Duffy is useful in some scenarios but he is the weakest link and can be dropped.

Veltman Dunk Webster are our best back three. Burn is a useful option but not first choice.

Lamptey is first choice RWB.

That's about it, I reckon. Except when we push Tariq further forward, then Veltman moves behind him

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For me it's Veltman behind Lamptey, Webster behind Cucurella and Dunk in the middle, with Biss and Mwepu protecting them, Trossard, Lallana and March false nining.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
It depends on the opponent and the score. In quite a few position now there are a couple of options. Some players can also play in slightly different positions, Potter seems to be improvising more. Lamprey on, March moves into midfield, Trossard upfront. If we are losing or at home to a team further down the league, then expect to see Lamptey as the right wing back but who makes way is anybody’s guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here