Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Top 6 on merit after 10 games

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not in the bottom 6 conversation, for the entire season.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Is this the first time in the top flight (Div 1 and PL) that our goal difference hasn't been negative after 10 games?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I do think though that other clubs are really starting to wake to how good a manager GP really is....

Our Tony needs to give him a new contract so if anybody does rock up - he will cost a fortune for them to take him (and the bloke deserves what he is cleary worth to us)

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I do think though that other clubs are really starting to wake to how good a manager GP really is....

Our Tony needs to give him a new contract so if anybody does rock up - he will cost a fortune for them to take him (and the bloke deserves what he is cleary worth to us)

He’d already cost £15,000,000 allegedly. That would make him the second most expensive manager in the history of football behind Nagelsmann

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Assuming they were all fast asleep exactly 7 days ago.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Wow, we must have stuffed someone during that run?

Yes, we beat Man City 4-1 at the Goldstone, our other wins were a 2-0 win at home to Boro and a 1-0 win away against Wolves. Our losses were a 2-1 reversal at home to Swansea and defeat by the same score line away to Forest.

Our draws were home to Coventry (2-2) and Liverpool (3-3) we also drew 0-0 at West Brom. There were some goals in that side.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn

I really hope that GP is as level headed as he comes across in interviews and realises that his success lies in managing the players we have rather than the "top quality (pre-maddonnas?)" in the "top sides/bigger clubs"

He is a tactical genius and TB and those in the know realise this. lets hope he stays at the Albion

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I really hope that GP is as level headed as he comes across in interviews and realises that his success lies in managing the players we have rather than the "top quality (pre-maddonnas?)" in the "top sides/bigger clubs"

He is a tactical genius and TB and those in the know realise this. lets hope he stays at the Albion

Yes we are greater than the sum of our parts. It’s a brilliant team effort, hope Potter stays a long time, as no guarantee of success at a big club. Look at Nuno at Spurs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes we are greater than the sum of our parts. It’s a brilliant team effort, hope Potter stays a long time, as no guarantee of success at a big club. Look at Nuno at Spurs.

Hang on - are you suggesting there are people who believed Jose-Lite would be a success at Spurs?

That job was doomed the moment they went past manager #3 on the wish list - the club is rotten to the core.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We are where we are deservedly now we've played 10 games and some of the big guns. Not expecting us to finish where we are come end of season but around 8th is certainly doable.

Exactly OBR. And the only two fixtures to fear for the rest of the year are Man Utd & Chelsea away. I’m looking forward to seeing all of our top players fit and firing soon with the exception of Welbeck. We’re still missing Webster’s attacking thrusts and aerial danger at set-pieces; when Lamptey & Bissouma can do 90 mins, we’re going to be a very difficult problem for all our opponents, starting next week against the Trillionaires.

Yep echo the sentiments of the OP, fabulous start to the season by Potter and his football, if he keeps this up past Christmas he’ll deserve all the big plaudits he gets on here, let’s see and exciting times. Well timed because bottom 3 is looking brutal this season, might it actually be the Saudi boys lol

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
ALREADY down to 7th, dropped a place in a few hours and we’re the only team outside the bottom 3 without a win in the last 5 games. #PotterOut

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I think following completion of the tenth game, the worst we can be is 8th. It seems to be accepted that after 10 games you are where you are in the table by merit, not just a run of easier games.

With performances like yesterdays and Man City second halves we have shown that we can compete and do very well against the best teams in the League. we are unbeaten away, and have picked up points in all but two games

There is no doubt we are top ten on merit, and all indications are that we are well placed to maintain that throughout the coming months.

I think we still have to improve before we can say with any confidence that we are a top six side,and I dont think many of us believe we are, but the "long term" goal of being a top ten club may be closer than many of us thought at the start of the season. I actually think that qualifying for Europe (mad as it seems to be seriously saying that) this year would not be a good thing long term. While we have a great squad, the extra games would possibly be too much for us at present, and next season we could suffer in a similar way that other clubs have done.

A couple of seasons consolidating around 12-8th , with maybe a cup run would be a remarkable achievement and allow us to build the in depth squad that is needed for the European tour.

One not of caution though, while we are sitting pretty at the moment we are only a quarter of the way in, we have some tough games ahead, and there is still time for it to go wrong. I must say though that with each week that goes by, that scenario seems to be becoming less and less likley

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Exactly OBR. And the only two fixtures to fear for the rest of the year are Man Utd & Chelsea away. I’m looking forward to seeing all of our top players fit and firing soon with the exception of Welbeck. We’re still missing Webster’s attacking thrusts and aerial danger at set-pieces; when Lamptey & Bissouma can do 90 mins, we’re going to be a very difficult problem for all our opponents, starting next week against the Trillionaires.

City away?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here