Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
So angry that he won’t just say.
He’s a strange person.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
There is something rotten in the County of Sussex

It's probably in one of those huge piles of Brighton and Hove rubbish that the binmen haven't cleared up :moo:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
So angry that he won’t just say.
He’s a strange person.

I know what you mean. I loved Matt as a player but he can’t keep coming out with this vague, cryptic criticism and then not elaborate on it.

I think we’re all worried about what’s going at Sussex so if he does care as much as says he does why can’t he just come out and tell us all, who don’t have inside information, what the issues are?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I know what you mean. I loved Matt as a player but he can’t keep coming out with this vague, cryptic criticism and then not elaborate on it.

I think we’re all worried about what’s going at Sussex so if he does care as much as says he does why can’t he just come out and tell us all, who don’t have inside information, what the issues are?

I agree. It's all vague hints and asides that it's not about money ... but he won't say what it's about. It's true that the young players were left unprotected last season but Andrew has acknowledged that (and much of that was down to The Hundred).

I think it was a big mistake not giving Wright a F/C contract and I also think it was a big mistake letting Wells go - but they were both Dizzy decisions and in the past now. Prior seems to be saying that there's still something afoot but not revealing any more is tantalising.

But, as I said, it's also very strange that Sussex aren't talking to him (or Grizz) - there's something odd there.

For those interested, there's a fans forum on 24 November - should be a liverly affair.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

As far as I can see young players are getting opportunities at Sussex they never would at other counties.
Has it been perfect? Far from it. Is it nice losing? No . Will all of them make it? No. All of this, is how it goes.
I’m pretty sure they’ve had an exciting and rewarding summer. I notice Orr has signed a new contract.
Also - Andrew’s explanation for the player exits makes sense. Salt is a Manchester man, Jordan is now T20 captain of one of the best-resourced counties. Why wouldn’t they leave? Same goes for Briggs, Topley etc Finch was crap anyway. Wells and Nash probably needed a change.
It’s hardly new news that it is difficult for Sussex (and a smaller counties) to compete with the test counties when it comes to keeping players.
I am not defending Andrew. He may well be rotten. But I’d need to hear a lot more evidence than prior is providing, to believe there is some secret Sussex-specific conspiracy. He strikes me as angry and bored. Maybe he can’t handle not being the centre of attention.

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
As far as I can see young players are getting opportunities at Sussex they never would at other counties.
Has it been perfect? Far from it. Is it nice losing? No . Will all of them make it? No. All of this, is how it goes.
But I’m pretty sure they’ve had an exciting and rewarding summer.
Also - Andrew’s explanation for the player exits makes sense. Salt is a Manchester man, Jordan is now T20 captain of one of the best-resourced counties. Why wouldn’t they leave? Same goes for Briggs, Topley etc Finch was crap anyway. Wells and Nash probably needed a change.
It’s hardly new news that it is difficult for Sussex (and a smaller counties) to compete with the test counties when it comes to keeping players.
I’d need to hear a lot more evidence than prior is providing, to believe there is some secret Sussex-specific conspiracy. He strikes me as angry and bored. Maybe he can’t handle not being the centre of attention.

If players are communicating with Prior it would be unreasonable of him to than go to press and name names.
Appreciate you are sticking up for hierarchy but somebody has to be blamed for Sussex ending up with a 4 day side that apart from 2/3 players was nothing more than a good club side. You just cannot expect members and paying public to turn out when standard is so poor. We have been poor for several years. It is wrong to say many of senior players left to better themselves. As it happens most of them have but initially they left because unhappy at Sussex.
We were unfortunate that Head had such a poor year. Not using it as an excuse but should think he was shocked to find himself as one of only 1/2 senior players in some games

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
If players are communicating with Prior it would be unreasonable of him to than go to press and name names.
Appreciate you are sticking up for hierarchy but somebody has to be blamed for Sussex ending up with a 4 day side that apart from 2/3 players was nothing more than a good club side. You just cannot expect members and paying public to turn out when standard is so poor. We have been poor for several years. It is wrong to say many of senior players left to better themselves. As it happens most of them have but initially they left because unhappy at Sussex.
We were unfortunate that Head had such a poor year. Not using it as an excuse but should think he was shocked to find himself as one of only 1/2 senior players in some games

I’m not sticking up for the hierarchy. There needs to be accountability.
Mostly I’m just surprised and disappointed to see a fine Sussex player make his points like a child.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I’m pretty sure they’ve had an exciting and rewarding summer. I notice Orr has signed a new contract.
I am not defending Andrew. He may well be rotten. But I’d need to hear a lot more evidence than prior is providing, to believe there is some secret Sussex-specific conspiracy. He strikes me as angry and bored. Maybe he can’t handle not being the centre of attention.

On the other hand while less youngsters will get opportunities at other counties I would argue the opportunities they would get are better. They will have experienced pros , captains and coaches to take responsibility, pressure off and teach them, and they might win games

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
On the other hand while less youngsters will get opportunities at other counties I would argue the opportunities they would get are better. They will have experienced pros , captains and coaches to take responsibility, pressure off and teach them, and they might win games

I’m guessing they were hoping the likes of Head, Meaker and Van Zyl would have helped with that.
They just happened to be all useless last season. Van Zyl was embarrassing.
FWIW, I met one of the young Sussex players recently. The impression I got was that he loved being involved. He definitely didn’t come across as wounded by the experience.
Salisbury said they were fired up for next season. Make of that what what you will.
Again, I’m not defending the heirachy, I’m just challenging some of the presumptions made by some supporters.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Prior has a point, but it is about money which is why we haven't attracted or retained real talent. It also doesn't help when the entire pace attack is called up by England for one format or another, and never seen again. Robinson and Archer won't be back, (even if Archer gets and stays fit (which I am not convinced he will). We don't want to produce Test players who disappear, but we do need players who are good enough to be on the fringes of internationals but don't get picked, and so can play for us.

You can put some kids in the team, but not all at once. Its like watching an Under 20 team take on hardened pro's, and getting repeatedly thrashed. Bags of talent and enthusiasm, but getting crushed by those who know how to grind out results. They weren't even competitive most games. A couple of reasonable sessions followed by a massive stuffing.

Somehow they need to find at least one good opener, plus a couple of other batsmen who can be relied on, plus a couple of pace bowlers who actually know where the wicket is. Finn may be a short term answer but he and Brown are effectively grandad's compared to the rest.

The days when you could retain and keep and play world class overseas players are also gone - they have too many other more lucrative alternatives now.

Franchises are here to stay and money talks.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Yes, its a bit Same Old, Same Old.....but its true.
Lots of people can see the club sliding down the slippery slope, but no one seems accountable.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Salt earns most of his money by playing in 20/20 competitions. He definitely left because Sussex were going nowhere and not because of money.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Also - Andrew’s explanation for the player exits makes sense. Salt is a Manchester man , Jordan is now T20 captain of one of the best-resourced counties. Why wouldn’t they leave? Same goes for Briggs, Topley etc Finch was crap anyway. Wells and Nash probably needed a change.

Is that Andrew's reasoning behind Salt leaving? His Wikipedia biog has no links to Manchester ...

Probably just a Man U supporter.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's not just Prior who's unhappy with the club. There's a lot of discontent from clubs and parents about the slimming down of the pathway programme, aimed at developing promising young players. In particular, the decision to concentrate on privately educated kids (at least at younger ages) is leaving a lot of potential players out of the loop. BACA is doing a decent job at bringing players on but a lot of decisions are made earlier. Richard Halsall, head of pathway is leaving (as mentioned by Prior), I'd love to know the reasons for that.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
It's not just Prior who's unhappy with the club. There's a lot of discontent from clubs and parents about the slimming down of the pathway programme, aimed at developing promising young players. In particular, the decision to concentrate on privately educated kids (at least at younger ages) is leaving a lot of potential players out of the loop. BACA is doing a decent job at bringing players on but a lot of decisions are made earlier. Richard Halsall, head of pathway is leaving (as mentioned by Prior), I'd love to know the reasons for that.

Strange that Sussex have never made a statement about Richard Halsall leaving. Nobody would have known if it wasnt for Prior

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Could that not be due to the cuts in funding for the programme from the ECB? I thought as part of the financing of the Hundred, the development funds were cut right back

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Could that not be due to the cuts in funding for the programme from the ECB? I thought as part of the financing of the Hundred, the development funds were cut right back

Possibly. I don't follow everything that closely but I've not seen a similar row breaking out in other counties - Kent's not part of The Hundred franchise either but I don't recall any ex-players having a go at their administration.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Strange that Sussex have never made a statement about Richard Halsall leaving. Nobody would have known if it wasnt for Prior

He wrote a farewell letter to clubs. He does say that he was offered other roles at Sussex but decided to leave. There's clearly some unhappiness though.

"... I leave with promises I made unfulfilled and potential not fully achieved with regard the Pathway. There will have to be a period of consolidation before the Pathway can again look to grow ..."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here