Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Trick or Treat?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Anyone else eaten all the sweets their Mrs bought for kids knocking on the door, Sunday?

Feck ‘em. The happy world of Haribo! :lolol:

(Admittedly I feel a bit sick now)

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Anyone else eaten all the sweets their Mrs bought for kids knocking on the door, Sunday?

Feck ‘em. The happy world of Haribo! :lolol:

(Admittedly I feel a bit sick now)

Aren't they all posh types around yr neck of the woods.
Don't they have butlers to knock on ones door.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Aren't they all posh types around yr neck of the woods.
Don't they have butlers to knock on ones door.

We don’t get too many teens, usually little ‘uns who’ve made an effort with their parents. I feel bad now. Will need to replenish stocks tomorrow in time. Here’s hoping for stormy Sunday though so no one goes out…and I can eat the replenishments too!! :)

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I don't subscribe to this Americanised ritual of begging.
I leave the dog out so no one comes through my gate and I have a very long driveway.
One **** threw an egg at my house when I lived over there and I made him clean it off, he wasn't very happy.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I bought treats for years, then kids stopped knocking the door.
I think that coincided with me getting my dog and the lights outside having to be adjusted so that he didn't bark when anything set them off.
I always feel very sad on 1st Nov that I have a large amount of my favourite sweets to eat before I have to buy the Xmas ones. You can't have refreshers and love hearts in the Xmas stash so they have to be eaten. :shrug:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’ve always wanted to jump out on a party of youngsters and absolutely terrify them by slicing one of them to death with a scythe.

It’s American nonsense…… What’s wrong with putting fireworks through the old ladies letterbox..That’s English.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I have a friend who is a health freak and she said the best deterrent is to hand out seeds and nuts. She said that word soon gets round that it ain't worth knocking on her door

We used to just do knock and run or as someone said, piss around with a firework.

Never trick or treated, that's defo become common over the last 10-15 years. Bloody Yanks do this crap. It's harmless fun though so I'll answer the door if I get a knock and give sweets, but it's also a very odd thing to do to someone you don't know haha

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
First year that we've grown our own pumpkin but given that I've just gone down with Covid it's going to be a bit high risk for any kids lured to our door!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I’ve always wanted to jump out on a party of youngsters and absolutely terrify them by slicing one of them to death with a scythe.

It’s American nonsense…… What’s wrong with putting fireworks through the old ladies letterbox..That’s English.

images.jpeg

As my looks aren't far off this, I can scare the crap out of them as I answer the door.

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
We seem to have this discussion every year, but to everyone saying it's an Americanism imported in recent years, we used to do Trick or Treat in the early 70's in Haywards Heath with many other, separate, groups of local kids. More active than nowadays, I'd say.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
We seem to have this discussion every year, but to everyone saying it's an Americanism imported in recent years, we used to do Trick or Treat in the early 70's in Haywards Heath with many other, separate, groups of local kids. More active than nowadays, I'd say.
Likewise, albeit in the 80s in Leeds...

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I can never recall Trick or treating as a kid, and certainly no one ever came knocking at the door. or Halloween being made a big thing of,

We always concentrated on Bonfire Night, and always made a guy for "Penny for the Guy" We always made a healty amount which brought sweets etc

. I cant recall the last time I saw any one out doing "penny for the guy", which is a shame, I suppose with the reduction in bonfires and fireworks nights in Gardens the need for a Guy to burn has reduced

I do recall a few years ago opening the door to a 6ft apparition dressed in black with a scream mask and plastic knife, fine for me but would have scared the 95 year old lady next door into her grave. I can understand young kids dressing up but mid and older teens seems a bit dodgy

It does seem now that unless you put a pumpkin lantern outside you don't get any visitors, at least round here, although all the local kids from a few years ago are now a bit old and the babies are a bit young, so we probably have a few years peace!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here