Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Music Production Software DAW/Midi Controller

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Hi Musical types,

I have just bought myself a new PC for recording music (amongst other things) and am now wondering about DAW (Digital Audio Workshop) software.

Previously I have used garage band on my mac and liked it. Especially the virtual drummer thing for recording guitar music. I mainly need a few tracks and effects to keep me amused and wanted to try and record some demos with my band, nothing too fancy but stuff that sounds okay. However I also like to dabble in a little house/dance music using samples and cut piece of beats and samples. I have never had a midi controller thing which I understand will take me up a notch in terms of what I can do.

Does anyone have any recommendations of something that may suit. Needs to be reasonably cheap to start if possible.

Thanks all

BF

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If you're using PC then FL studio is a good cheap starting point, Ableton is really the holy grail though imo

Thanks for the advice. It does seem like Ableton is the daddy.

I have been reading about Ableton Live Lite, you can get it free with midi controllers. Then add free add ins to bulk it up to near Ableton standard. I like the idea of this as all the bells and whistles can be pretty daunting all at once. I am wondering if this is the way to go, at least while I am learning how to use it. Then buy the full version once I can use it?

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
Lots of good options - partly depends what other hardware you are using. I use Presonus Studio One, which comes free with Presonus audio interfaces and mixers. Easy to use. Also includes samples, loops, virtual instruments and effects.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007

I have been reading about Ableton Live Lite, you can get it free with midi controllers. Then add free add ins to bulk it up to near Ableton standard. I like the idea of this as all the bells and whistles can be pretty daunting all at once. I am wondering if this is the way to go, at least while I am learning how to use it. Then buy the full version once I can use it?

Really depends on a persons individual workflow. I have used Ableton, Logic Pro, Reason and Cubase in the past but FL Studio works best for me regarding workflow and getting ideas down. I mainly produce dance stuff and use VST's , samples and midi keyboard/controller. If you require a DAW to record actual instruments via midi input then Ableton or Cubase may be more suitable. These days many of the DAWs offer the same features, is more about personal preference and how you use them.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Really depends on a persons individual workflow. I have used Ableton, Logic Pro, Reason and Cubase in the past but FL Studio works best for me regarding workflow and getting ideas down. I mainly produce dance stuff and use VST's , samples and midi keyboard/controller. If you require a DAW to record actual instruments via midi input then Ableton or Cubase may be more suitable. These days many of the DAWs offer the same features, is more about personal preference and how you use them.

Nice

I guess it is a case of trying different ones until I find the one I like. I was looking at some budget midi controllers and some of them seemed to come with a range of lite or trial versions of DAW.

Thanks for the advice.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I'm a Cubase man but we also use Logic in the studio. They're all pretty great these days, tbh. It's difficult to go badly wrong.
You'll definitely need an interface & controller(s) of some sort, mind

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm a Cubase man but we also use Logic in the studio. They're all pretty great these days, tbh. It's difficult to go badly wrong.
You'll definitely need an interface & controller(s) of some sort, mind

I've got a little podcasting mixer and interface that I used with my mac, it needs upgrading I think but it will do for now. :)

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Like others I went through GarageBand, Logic Pro and finally settled on Ableton. Also found a load of (free) stuff from this guy: https://unison.audio which you can drop straight in.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

yeah that's probably a good plan. it's very easy to learn that stuff nowadays though, youtube tutorials can get you virtually anywhere!

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I'm an FL studio guy having moved from Reason some years ago. FL Studio can do anything I've ever wanted it to do. Much of my stuff is digital only however, as I just don't have the setup for proper analogue recording.

What you'll find with all of these things though is that once you learn one, you'll likely stay with it due to the intrinsic complexity. Choose one which is established and well supported and you can afford to keep up with. I don't think there's a wrong answer.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Another vote for FL studio here. The YouTube channel "In the mix" will teach you how it all works.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here