Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Online Bank Accounts for Teens

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Morning. Advice required please. My 17 year old needs a bank account. He and his Mum are currently visiting all the bank branches in Bishop Auckland in an attempt to open a bank account with someone but without much luck so far ("we are not the right type of branch" etc). The big banks require you to visit a branch but clearly only the right type of branch :rolleyes: and MrsKZN has already had a big fight with our own bank (TSB) about their crap service. Anyone got any recommendations for online banks please? Once 18 he may want student loans so does it matter which bank you bank with re that rigmarole? Thanks awfully!!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Find Starling an easy app to operate….rates highly on customer services…no issues in the two years I’ve run a couple of accounts with them.

Can’t comment on the student loan bit

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
weird. i remember when banks actively tried to entice in children and students, basic principle that once with a bank you rarely change. as a student i had all sorts of freebies, discount cards, even hard cash thrown at me.

if they're making it difficult, wait until 18 and can open a full current account.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
weird. i remember when banks actively tried to entice in children and students, basic principle that once with a bank you rarely change. as a student i had all sorts of freebies, discount cards, even hard cash thrown at me.

if they're making it difficult, wait until 18 and can open a full current account.

Indeed. It is rather odd that you cannot walk into any branch to open an account any more. We are going to try Nat West who have assured him that he can do it all online. We will see. He is going to get a part time job shortly so needs a bank account now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nationwide, which is still a mutual where members own it, without shareholders. It’s also kept branches open where other banks have closed down.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The branch in Goring Road closed down earlier this year

It’s the only bank open in Seaford, now, and has another branch in Peacehaven, whereas Newhaven hasn’t got a single bank branch. Everything has to be done via the post office or online.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Morning. Advice required please. My 17 year old needs a bank account. He and his Mum are currently visiting all the bank branches in Bishop Auckland in an attempt to open a bank account with someone but without much luck so far ("we are not the right type of branch" etc). The big banks require you to visit a branch but clearly only the right type of branch :rolleyes: and MrsKZN has already had a big fight with our own bank (TSB) about their crap service. Anyone got any recommendations for online banks please? Once 18 he may want student loans so does it matter which bank you bank with re that rigmarole? Thanks awfully!!

Student loans are arranged through a separate, dedicated company - so it doesn’t matter which bank the account is with. Not sure re needing to go into a branch, for example 16+ can open a basic bank account with HSBC online (may at some point need to pop into a branch to verify ID).

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Another vote for Starling here. I use it primarily as a second account but they are very good at answering questions (unlike sainsburys who answer every question with "ring the call centre")

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Student loans are arranged through a separate, dedicated company - so it doesn’t matter which bank the account is with. Not sure re needing to go into a branch, for example 16+ can open a basic bank account with HSBC online (may at some point need to pop into a branch to verify ID).

Thanks re student loans. It was HSBC they went to this morning who said that they were not that type of branch! They had live chatted online with them first who told them to fill out a form and take it and their ID to any branch and they would open the account there and then. Not so.

Anyway, the Nat West branch were correct in that you can open an account online with them!! So hoorah, account now sorted.

Thanks all for you suggestions and advice

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It’s the only bank open in Seaford, now, and has another branch in Peacehaven, whereas Newhaven hasn’t got a single bank branch. Everything has to be done via the post office or online.

Santander, HSBC, Barclays and Halifax are all open. Lloyds are closing shortly I believe

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Smile is on line only, although it has had some issues with its website in the last couple of years - none of which were serious but were occasionally annoying while they lasted. (edit - just checked and you need to be 18)

HSBC children's bank account is for under 18s, and the website say you can open it online if a parent is an existing customer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here