Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Any NSC parents who think their youngsters are on line too much. Please watch

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Sadly I can relate to the story, my nephew only 14 has tried several times to commit suicide and I know four friends who have taken their lives. The last because he thought he had covid, he had mental issues ever since one of our friends died in his arms after being stabbed in London in an unprovoked attack.

Mental health in youngsters is a serious concern, I see issues with my daughter getting frustrated with messages, it is easy to tell them to ignore stuff, but they are young and have not fully developed coping mechanisms. I myself came off facebook due to constant look at me, look at them, I hate this, I hate that, I am right, you are wrong.... Good knows how I would have coped with that at 14-16 - thank god I was down the local youth club and getting into music watching and finding new bands, a lot to be said against click and everything is at your fingers society today.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If I get a kiddo it wont touch a computer until it is at least 12, not a phone until 15 and not a smartphone until it moves out of my shed/mansion/castle.

Just hours into first using Internet back in 1999 I was dead certain we would all be addicted to screens and feared when the day would come when we could get online connection to laptops (or smartphones, as it rather turned out) anywhere. First thing I would do if I became a world dictator would be to turn off the Internet and destroy all infrastructure that supports it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If I get a kiddo it wont touch a computer until it is at least 12, not a phone until 15 and not a smartphone until it moves out of my shed/mansion/castle.

Just hours into first using Internet back in 1999 I was dead certain we would all be addicted to screens and feared when the day would come when we could get online connection to laptops (or smartphones, as it rather turned out) anywhere. First thing I would do if I became a world dictator would be to turn off the Internet and destroy all infrastructure that supports it.

A little ironic, given you've averaged c13 posts a day for 2.5 years on NSC!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A little ironic, given you've averaged c13 posts a day for 2.5 years on NSC!

Implies I know what I'm talking about...

Its a little bit "ironic" that youths spend a lot of time online despite it making them feel bad. A little bit ironic to live in a society despite thinking society is far from perfect. Its almost as if there are outside factors affecting how we live our lives.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Implies I know what I'm talking about...

Its a little bit "ironic" that youths spend a lot of time online despite it making them feel bad. A little bit ironic to live in a society despite thinking society is far from perfect. Its almost as if there are outside factors affecting how we live our lives.

ok mate.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

The more you deny a child something, the more they will want it and the harder they will try and get it. As the father to three kids, I'm sorry to say that your plan has close to ZERO chance of working.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The more you deny a child something, the more they will want it and the harder they will try and get it. As the father to three kids, I'm sorry to say that your plan has close to ZERO chance of working.

It also takes a very confident kids with brilliant social skills to navigate their world on a different plain to their peers. While everyone else is communicating via technology they are going to feels somewhat left out while writing notes to tie around their pigeons ankle.

The world is hard enough for teenagers without making them outsiders.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I can't imagine what it's like for teenagers these days. I remember it being awful for a variety of reasons and I hit my teens in the late 90's when the internet was still a relatively new thing. No big social media platforms or anything like that. For me it was just a place to download MP3s.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Yep, he's clueless unless going to force them to confine themselves to a remote part of northern Sweden where there is no connectivity till they are adults. Look forward to Ben Fogel visiting for one of his New Lives In the Wild shows.

But then how will Swansman stay on NSC for hour after hour, day after day, without such connectivity?!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The internet itself is a wonderful thing that supports, among other things, watching football matches played in other countries and sharing opinions on it.

Human beings use of it is questionable to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
If I get a kiddo it wont touch a computer until it is at least 12, not a phone until 15 and not a smartphone until it moves out of my shed

Good luck with that, peer pressure is an awful thing that children cannot ignore, lovely sentiment and intention, but it wont happen.
They will have one, before double digits, it is a given.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Interesting one - I would say I was online very young. We had a pretty tech savvy family so probably mid-90s we were on 28k dialup and I was probably about 10. Definitely had many benefits in my career and overall learning, but the world is very different now. I imagine if social media was around as it is today, back then my experience could have been very different.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Very interesting. The lure of the screen; like the telly this is a substitute in the mind of modern human for a cheering fire. Humans are really quite primitive. Space invaders appeared when I was around 22 (41 years ago :eek:), and after almost missing my train connection while playing at Croydon station, I took the decision quickly to never play computer games (again). I have stuck to it.

Unfortunately I suspect that if someone has mental health vulnerability and is too trusting, exposure to other people (in any format) is always a risk, and when other people are hidden behind internet anonymity then we all know where it can lead. Meantime we can't watch the kids 24/7 and too much control can be counter productive. I am very sure what teenage me would have done were I prevented from being able to do what my mates were doing (it would have been sneaky rebellion) but, luckily, I have a fairly good sense of peril and, although I like risk I don't enjoy danger.

Best of luck to those of you trying to protect vulnerable youngsters.

D

Deleted member 22389

That's exactly what I said, but my daughter's 7 now and she's watching a lot of the YouTube kids channel. Her friends watch it too, and you feel like a bad parent not letting her watch it.

I'm more worried when she's becomes a teenager, there's too much crap and misinformation on the thing, and I don't want it to create mental health issues around appearance or making her feel she is not good enough.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
That's exactly what I said, but my daughter's 7 now and she's watching a lot of the YouTube kids channel. Her friends watch it too, and you feel like a bad parent not letting her watch it.

I'm more worried when she's becomes a teenager, there's too much crap and misinformation on the thing, and I don't want it to create mental health issues around appearance or making her feel she is not good enough.

Well the TV companies could start by banning such disgusting programmes as Love Island!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Been thinking on this a fair bit this morning and I'd like to caveat this with the knowledge that I am not a parent. I have no idea what it takes to raise a healthy child.

With that said: There's a level of responsibility on the parents to ensure that children aren't spending too much time pressed up against a screen, isn't there? Social media platforms categorically need to do more to protect children (and adults for that matter) so please don't think I'm laying the blame at the parents door because, again, I've no idea about raising kids. I can only imagine how hard it is.

I think about having kids sometimes and then remember that, even at 37, I still feel like a child myself. I can barely remember to make sure I do enough washing so I have pants to wear; how on earth could I be responsible for another life?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I understand that which is why I need to properly brainwash Mr or Ms Kiddo into a raging hatred of modern society before the temptations makes Kiddo too difficult to stop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here