Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Is a 'Smart' Speaker Your Main Source For Listening To Music At Home?

Is a 'Smart' Speaker Your Main Source For Listening To Music At Home?

• Yes

Votes: 49 53.8%
  • No

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • What's a smart speaker.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Poll to follow.

Happy now? :p

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Sonos speakers but not the smart versions

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I have a number of discreet Amazon Echo speakers hooked up to a number of regular Lithe Audio speakers throughout the house. It’s a good way of getting a good, smart and linked-up Bluetooth setup without spending a fortune.

Would recommend.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Nah dont really need assistance in putting on music, changing tracks, lower/raising volume and those kinds of things. Never really understood that it takes intelligence to do it but if "smart speakers" are smart, then so am I I suppose.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nah dont really need assistance in putting on music, changing tracks, lower/raising volume and those kinds of things. Never really understood that it takes intelligence to do it but if "smart speakers" are smart, then so am I I suppose.

I'd say they are pretty smart. They've got people paying good money to willingly bug their own homes. :wink:

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
I make my own music with a Taylor 814CE and a Hohner Prinz, a Peavey Vypr amp and a set of headphones.

Mrs Razer is the one that listens to sh1te on the smart speakers.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Alexa Studio keeps me happy

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Either my record player via amp and speakers or play my iPod through an awesome minirig speaker. I take the speaker and iPod when decorating, I can dominate any unsuspecting neighbourhood with my music.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Nope. We don’t own an smart speaker. In the office and kitchen we have dab radio’s that also have built in blue tooth so can stream tilde to them. In the other rooms we have a separates hifi systems. For me the main source of music is Vinyl. For my Husband it is his music server. It has all our cd’s loaded on it and can also be used for streaming tilde.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Walk into the room, bark out whatever random song you fancy listening to, hear it immediately. It would've blown my tiny mind as a teenager in the 80s, and I still find it amazing now, tbh.

Then there's the wireless blutooth, so I can mince around the house with my little earplugs in listening to albums I haven't even bought. Its alien technology. What a time to be alive.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Personally, No.... I have a 27" iMac with a pair of Bang & Olufsen BeoLab 17's either side of it in my little home office which crack out some great sound via Deezer Hi-Fi or YouTube Music. Seeing as I spend half my sodding evenings in here I thought I'd do it properly...

Mrs Nose - I bought her a 'Bose Home Speaker 500' and it's in the kitchen. I occasionally use it for BBC R2 when I'm having breakfast at home (1 day a fortnight at best), but she uses it most for "Alexa, set a timer for 20 minutes" as she throws something in the oven. :rolleyes:

I've no issues with smart speakers, and yes - Sonos do some belters, but I'm more into my Stereo sound (old fart I suppose..)

I do find myself sauntering into the kitchen to cook myself something and confidently shouting "ALEXA, PLAY.... umm... errr...." and then get stage fright. I can't think of anything!! I usually default to Level 42 for some reason :facepalm::mad:

Last edited:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Yes,... I use a Sonos setup... 1 x Soundbar, 2 x Sonos 5, 2 x Sonos 1 plus a voice capable Sonos One.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Personally, No.... I have a 27" iMac with a pair of Bang & Olufsen BeoLab 17's either side of it in my little home office which crack out some great sound via Deezer Hi-Fi or YouTube Music. Seeing as I spend half my sodding evenings in here I thought I'd do it properly...

Mrs Nose - I bought her a 'Bose Home Speaker 500' and it's in the kitchen. I occasionally use it for BBC R2 when I'm having breakfast at home (1 day a fortnight at best), but she uses it most for "Alexa, set a timer for 20 minutes" as she throws something in the oven. :rolleyes:

I've no issues with smart speakers, and yes - Sonos do some belters, but I'm more into my Stereo sound (old fart I suppose..)

I do find myself sauntering into the kitchen to cook myself something and confidently shouting "ALEXA, PLAY.... umm... errr...." and then get stage fright. I can't think of anything!! I usually default to Level 42 for some reason :facepalm::mad:
You do know that any pair of Sonos speakers can be a stereo pairing... 1 minute setup via sonos app.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The idea of another voice asking me what I just said fills me with dread. So I press buttons to play Spotify via bluetooth through my hifi system.

If I am feeling really decadent I take a record out of the sleeve, place it on the turntable and then lower the needle (heaven until someone asks me if I can turn it down).

Living with three teenagers I am not sure I am ready for something to follow my instruction without throwing their hair over their face and mumbling 'do I have to?" or 'in a minute'. This is the same logic that dictates that I don't have a dog.

With this post I intend to apply for my old man resisting new technology pass.

You can include all the car paraphernalia in this, how hard it is to open the boot myself and why the funk do i need my mirrors to hug the car every time I get out of it. I won't say know to a new car stereo with bluetooth connection but to me the other stuff is just more shit to go wrong.

Regards

'Grumpy old Badfish'

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I make my own music with a Taylor 814CE and a Hohner Prinz, a Peavey Vypr amp and a set of headphones.

Mrs Razer is the one that listens to sh1te on the smart speakers.

I think it is nice that she listens to your music :lolol::lolol:

Sorry couldn't resist.

Out of interest do you record your music, I have recently bought a new PC to record music on and am wondering what recording software to use? I had a macbook until recently and used Garage Band, In a new world now though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here