Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Koemans sacked: What is the value of a single quality player to a manager?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 2719

I would suggest its quite high.

With Mr Koeman getting his marching orders, how much was this due to the loss or Mr Messi?

Did Murray raise Chris Hughtons and Poyets stock? Zamora lift Mickey Adams success?

Which managers have been blessed with match changers?

For the record I don't believe Barcelona we're ever going to deal well with it, even just the physiological loss of Messi was going to be huge IMO.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At least with the Albion reverting back to type we can be certain the usual disciples won't be clutching their pearls at the thought of losing their beloved leader.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I don’t think it matters who takes charge, the club is ****ed. I don’t see them playing Champions League or Europa League next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

I don’t think it matters who takes charge, the club is ****ed. I don’t see them playing Champions League or Europa League next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So was Messi the messiah or Satan for Barcalona?

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
An interesting point. I think you can look at how the manager does over a long period of time to determine if it’s luck with the right player or if they always do well. Micky Adams I think benefitted massively from having Bobby Zamora. Hughton benefitted from Murray but also deserves credit for getting the best out of Murray, if memory serves me right Murray hadn’t done much between Palace’s promotion season and joining us.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
They've lost more than just Messi and are suffering for their poor recruitment for the last decade. They're only 3 points( albeit with one more game) behind Atletico who don't have those issues though

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wouldn't say a single quality player because even Zamora needed Watto. A good manager needs two or three good players to manage a successful team.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A top quality player can paper over a lot of cracks in a club. Look at Man Utd, they won the PL in Ferguson's last season primarily because Robin van Persie was basically on fire and won it on his own, he got injured as soon as Ferguson left and the whole edifice came tumbling down, even though the squad in 2013/14 was not really any different to the one of 2012/13. Maybe Hyppia would have found things easier had we held on to Ulloa that summer?

D

Deleted member 2719

An interesting point. I think you can look at how the manager does over a long period of time to determine if it’s luck with the right player or if they always do well. Micky Adams I think benefitted massively from having Bobby Zamora. Hughton benefitted from Murray but also deserves credit for getting the best out of Murray, if memory serves me right Murray hadn’t done much between Palace’s promotion season and joining us.

I agree Hughton knew how to use Murray, but I thought this was always going to be short term success to be so reliant on Glenn was a role of a dice. As was Bobby and Adams, yes they were stepping stones, but potter is building a brand hopefully we can all get behind.

I love the Potter of happy to 'make an Albion superstar method' and not buy them.

Potter is so rounded IMO and is always thinking of the bigger picture of the team and club, not just the here and now.
Hopefully, he can keep his consistency and the team set up with Ashworth etc.

Even if we had the money now, I would not want a Salah, It would be like having a Lamborghini and living in a shed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A top quality player can paper over a lot of cracks in a club. Look at Man Utd, they won the PL in Ferguson's last season primarily because Robin van Persie was basically on fire and won it on his own, he got injured as soon as Ferguson left and the whole edifice came tumbling down, even though the squad in 2013/14 was not really any different to the one of 2012/13. Maybe Hyppia would have found things easier had we held on to Ulloa that summer?

I always felt Hyypia might have had a teeny tiny chance had the club convinced Stephen Ward to stay.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I always felt Hyypia might have had a teeny tiny chance had the club convinced Stephen Ward to stay.

The team Hyypia had was absolute garbage. If you look at what he was given, he didn't stand a chance. He also got the tactics wrong, given the lack of quality he had available to him, but ultimately you need to have good players - which he didn't.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The team Hyypia had was absolute garbage. If you look at what he was given, he didn't stand a chance. He also got the tactics wrong, given the lack of quality he had available to him, but ultimately you need to have good players - which he didn't.

Useless manager, you don’t play football that needs greyhounds with tortoises. He also failed abysmally in his next job at Zurich. Yes he had a shit squad but he was just as shit as them as a manager

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

I think he was both to be honest. A critical focal point that made that team what it was. They lost great players in the past (Iniesta, Xavi, Puyol, Suarez) but always had Messi there to dig them out of jail. The problem is that as every great player left, the dependence on him increased

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Not sure it matters. They have buggered up their money which is why that had to sell Messi. Messi didn't want to go and they didn't want to sell him. Sacking the manager smacks of further desperation.

They and Real have carved up Spanish TV money in an obscene hegemony for decades, a mini Spanish super league. So **** 'em :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here