Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] An Irrational Hatred of Leicester City

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
They cheated their way to the Premier League by writing off debts. It was because of Leicester the punishment of deducting points by going into admin was introduced.
They, apart from Leeds, are the most homophobic club, I’ve ever come across.

Fans rather than club, presumably.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
They did seem to have an unusually large contingent of “specials” wanting to goad the away fans rather than watch the game last night, I’ve put it down to cheap tickets and being the half term holiday. Bland old stadium but a perfect playing surface, a bit forgettable really.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
No strong feelings about Leicester, but one positive thing I did notice about their fanbase is the high-proportion of British-Asians who turn-out to watch them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Fans rather than club, presumably.

Yes, their fans. One was prosecuted for his homophobic rant.

They did seem to have an unusually large contingent of “specials” wanting to goad the away fans rather than watch the game last night, I’ve put it down to cheap tickets and being the half term holiday. Bland old stadium but a perfect playing surface, a bit forgettable really.

I've been to the Kingpower several times, but gave up going when a fair proportion of their face weren't watching the game at all, but turned sideways chanting obscene chants at us, just a few feet away. Big brave men trying to intimidate women and children.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
They cheated their way to the Premier League by writing off debts. It was because of Leicester the punishment of deducting points by going into admin was introduced.

…and rewarded them with a full england international match I seem to recall. Wasn’t it manderic who owned them before Pompey ( or after them)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I've been to the Kingpower several times, but gave up going when a fair proportion of their face weren't watching the game at all, but turned sideways chanting obscene chants at us, just a few feet away. Big brave men trying to intimidate women and children.

The same with Derby County, 50 something year old men, abusing elderly Albion fans in the Amex SE corner. An East Midlands dickhead trait?

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
So many lickers and gormless youngsters more interested in entertaining the opposition fans rather than actually watching the game.

Mind you, hadn't been to an away game since pre-covid times and we seem to have picked up more of these types ourselves too.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Have to agree with Thunder Bolt on this, the single worst instance of vile homophobic behaviour I have ever seen was at a game at the Walkers Stadium when we were both in the Championship, back in the Withdean days. They were utterly disgusting, and plenty of them too, certainly not an isolated few. I think we beat them on that occasion, was it an Easter Monday game? Subsequent and previous visits have also been unpleasant, and certainly up until the efforts made by the football authorities (ha) their fans were vile whenever I went there. I haven't been for four or five years, but it doesn't surprise me to hear they are still at it, and I doubt it had anything to do with cheap tickets and half term.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Bit rich, pretty sure the vast majority of neutral fans would say we were much more of a meh football club than Leicester if they had to choose considering the history of the two clubs!

Goal music and those clackers every game though... Awful.

If I was a sheep I would find what the majority thinks very interesting and important but now I'm not, so Leicester is a meh club and Brighton isnt.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Have to agree with Thunder Bolt on this, the single worst instance of vile homophobic behaviour I have ever seen was at a game at the Walkers Stadium when we were both in the Championship, back in the Withdean days. They were utterly disgusting, and plenty of them too, certainly not an isolated few. I think we beat them on that occasion, was it an Easter Monday game? Subsequent and previous visits have also been unpleasant, and certainly up until the efforts made by the football authorities (ha) their fans were vile whenever I went there. I haven't been for four or five years, but it doesn't surprise me to hear they are still at it, and I doubt it had anything to do with cheap tickets and half term.
They pride themselves on being a “family” club apparently. Glad they’re not my family :lolol:

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
They pride themselves on being a “family” club apparently. Glad they’re not my family :lolol:

The family club thing probably refers to that fact that they are all inbred! :D

Don’t mind Leicester but as has been said on here by others they did rather cheat financially to get where they are now. Plenty of small traders would have lost out significantly through that. Wasn’t there also a scandal when they went to La Manga, I seem to recall them being called Molester City for a while!

But I don’t mind them, the ‘new’ Leicester at least!

Derby - in the play offs at the Amex I have a picture of their ‘lads’ looking for trouble outside and being largely ignored by groups of 60+ Albion fans hell bent on ….. getting the train home!

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Went to college in Leicester. It was during a period where they seemed to be stuck yo-yoing between divisions. Never caught a game while there, but I have a little bit of a soft spot for them. When they won the PL, my tenuous connection gave me a reason to feel good about it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Went to college in Leicester. It was during a period where they seemed to be stuck yo-yoing between divisions. Never caught a game while there, but I have a little bit of a soft spot for them. When they won the PL, my tenuous connection gave me a reason to feel good about it.
How did you find Leicester as a place? You go to some towns for football and think this looks interesting I’d like to come back one day and have a proper look around, I didn’t really get that feeling with Leicester. It reminded me a lot of Wolverhampton, sort of functional but non-descript.

TheRealist

Nov 17, 2019
They absolutely did cheat their way to the Prem by writing off their debts. And then massively gambled on FFP when they were in the Championship years later. It really annoys me when people bang on about how great it was for football that Leicester won the league. The same people will then complain about Chelsea, Man City and Newcastle take overs ruining football. Leicester are just another example of what's wrong with football.

Exactly! The destroyed football by doing what no other teams have ever done and was not punished at all for…oh wait.

The thread heading says ‘hate’ but much of the thread betrays envy. They have won the PL (and since then the FA Cup) on the FIELD, not in the boardroom.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
How did you find Leicester as a place? You go to some towns for football and think this looks interesting I’d like to come back one day and have a proper look around, I didn’t really get that feeling with Leicester. It reminded me a lot of Wolverhampton, sort of functional but non-descript.

I don’t know Leicester very well but I assume the recent finding of Richard III’s remains has given the place a bit more focus historically. Isn’t there also the remains of a Roman bath house? As a ‘cester’ you would think there to be a fair bit of history there, maybe it’s hidden away by now!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Don’t dislike them at all. They play great football, develop great talent and are outperforming some of the big clubs.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH

Functional but non-descript seems pretty fair. It was alright.

I remember my parents first taking me there and driving through a fairly shitty part of town. I said something about it not looking very nice and my dad commented that he didn't know why I wanted to come there. punish:

Oh well, worked out in the end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here