Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] January window

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I don't see why the club think Zeqiri needs a loan but Connolly doesn't.

Zeqiri wanted to be playing as often as possible, realised that he wasn't going to get the game time he wanted this season if he stayed and pushed for a loan. Connolly believes, rightly or wrongly, that he is best served training with the squad and waiting for his chance. Had we signed a striker, he may have thought differently, but we didn't, so he presumably reasoned that he would get appearances this season. Given DW's injury, he probably will. If he does, it will be down to him to make the most of it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yup. Akpom was also highly regarded when he came to us and switched off so far that Arsenal fans still think we ruined him.
Martinelli and Nketiah may well go out on loan with their A game intact, but maybe they too wouldn't give a toss. Albion might think once bitten, twice shy, especially as Hughton was soon confident he could make a player of Akpom.

Prior to coming to us (in the Championship, not the Prem) Akpom had gone on loan to Brentford, Coventry and Forest without scoring any goals, then managed 3 in 36 for Hull in the Championship. He NEVER had the ability that Nketiah and Martinelli already possess.

Look, I get we can't afford a £30million striker, while young foreign strikers take time to develop but if you're looking for Prem goals and you have a striker crisis then why not use the loan system? The right loan at the right time can work wonders - just look at how Jesse Lingard worked at West Ham.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
This isn’t hearsay. He has an attitude. Worst at the club.

I’m hoping our current league position, if we can just hang on a little longer will help convince a striker of the potential platform our club might be.

Not hearsay but proceeds to say things without any evidential backup ...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Fair enough, but this ignores the fact the Albion have gone in twice for Nunez and tried hard to get Nicolas Gonzalez. This shows they clearly aren't satisfied with what they've got.

And if you view their heat maps they both spend more time in the left channel drifting in. If the Albion feel this is an area they are short on then why wouldn't they bring in Martinelli, whose heat map is very similar to Nunez and - in particular - Gonzalez, but at 1m 83 he also gives you that height advantage over the likes of Connolly and Maupay, so something different we don't have when Welbeck is injured.

That comment might be, but if you have a look at post 48, you'll notice that I don't disagree. The club do recognise that the squad will be enhanced with another player in that position, but not any old player -- hence the documented pursuit of Nunez and Gonzalez, whose qualities you outline effectively. They think they're now in a position to just go for closely targeted players, given the broad strength of the squad. What we can offer players with outstanding prospects is a platform to showcase their talents in a situation where we're on an upward trajectory, in the most glamorous, competitive league in the world. The xG last year should have made such players take note. They probably did, but it didn't result in a transfer. What we can't offer their clubs is silly transfer fees, and the players hiked up wages or the promise of CL/EL football.
[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] has indicated why we haven't and shouldn't go for Martinelli. I doubt his heat map is too different from Connolly's either.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you are going to replace an academy player who makes one goal/assist per 260 minutes in the PL with someone who makes one per 230 minutes, like Martinelli, in the PL, then what is the point of the academy?

I'm sure Arsenal would be happy to get a bit of game time for one of their youngsters so that they can develop into good or decent PL players. But I much prefer Brighton giving that game time to a Brighton youngster so that they can develop into good or decent PL players.

I dont see how borrowing someone who has performed very moderately better statistically than Connolly in a much better team would be a "win" for Brighton when it means that the Brighton academy product gets less playing time.

Appears Tony Bloom very much agrees with me on that subject so I dont see the club spending cash, time and effort to develop other clubs youngsters anytime soon.

You say that Martinelli could develop into a good or decent PL player, and I agree with you. Sadly - right now - I can't say the same about Connolly.

You talk about Martinelli like he would be blocking an academy player, but who are you talking about? Zeqiri and Sima are on loan, while Ferguson is only 16. There is clearly a vacancy in the matchday squad for a striker because we keep including Locadia, a bloke we tried to offload to Germany, USA and back to Holland without any takers.

As for developing other sides youngsters, it seems German sides are very happy to take similar aged players from our top six (Sancho, Nelson, Ampadu, Nmecha, Sessegnon etc) and it doesn't seem to be doing them any harm.

I agree that by the end of the season Zeqiri and / or Sima might be ready, but they're not ready yet and we need cover for the second half of the season. Yes, I like Martinelli and Nketiah as good short-term fits who I think WILL improve our squad - for me, Connolly and Locadia are simply making up the numbers. We'll agree to disagree.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You say that Martinelli could develop into a good or decent PL player, and I agree with you. Sadly - right now - I can't say the same about Connolly.

You talk about Martinelli like he would be blocking an academy player, but who are you talking about? Zeqiri and Sima are on loan, while Ferguson is only 16. There is clearly a vacancy in the matchday squad for a striker because we keep including Locadia, a bloke we tried to offload to Germany, USA and back to Holland without any takers.

As for developing other sides youngsters, it seems German sides are very happy to take similar aged players from our top six (Sancho, Nelson, Ampadu, Nmecha, Sessegnon etc) and it doesn't seem to be doing them any harm.

I agree that by the end of the season Zeqiri and / or Sima might be ready, but they're not ready yet and we need cover for the second half of the season. Yes, I like Martinelli and Nketiah as good short-term fits who I think WILL improve our squad - for me, Connolly and Locadia are simply making up the numbers. We'll agree to disagree.

Connolly is the academy striker he would be blocking. Yes he is with the senior squad now but he is from the clubs own academy and still developing. I know you + the rest of the mob "cant say Connolly is promising" but obviously the people actually working with football percieves it in a different manner and thats why you wont see some Arsenal youth prospect getting play time ahead of him.

I dont know what German teams has to do with anything. The Bundesliga is a worse league, the clubs dont have the financial muscles to have 20+ competent players (like Brighton has) and a couple of the ones you mention, like Sancho and Nmecha, were not loans but transfers, meaning you are developing your own players which is preferable for a number of simple reasons.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Connolly is the academy striker he would be blocking. Yes he is with the senior squad now but he is from the clubs own academy and still developing. I know you + the rest of the mob "cant say Connolly is promising" but obviously the people actually working with football percieves it in a different manner and thats why you wont see some Arsenal youth prospect getting play time ahead of him.

I dont know what German teams has to do with anything. The Bundesliga is a worse league, the clubs dont have the financial muscles to have 20+ competent players (like Brighton has) and a couple of the ones you mention, like Sancho and Nmecha, were not loans but transfers, meaning you are developing your own players which is preferable for a number of simple reasons.

WE are not "The mob"

He will NEVER be able to cut it at our level

Get over it

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Headline in The Argus yesterday was GP saying that we have recall options on some of our loaned players (this would apply to Zeqiri, but not Sima).

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
January transfer window. Oh sh*t. Another five thousand bleats about not shelling out tens of millions of Uncle Tony's money for a striker*.

*That will of course, be an anguished cry for any striker. Gawd, it will be a bore ..................

If Tony bloody Bloom hasn’t got the dosh then he should stand aside and let the Arabs in.

I’m not a JCL. I was there in the bad times under Hypia.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Headline in The Argus yesterday was GP saying that we have recall options on some of our loaned players (this would apply to Zeqiri, but not Sima).
That is because even if we recalled Sima he is already at his "play for no more than 2 clubs in a season" limit.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yup. Akpom was also highly regarded when he came to us and switched off so far that Arsenal fans still think we ruined him.
Martinelli and Nketiah may well go out on loan with their A game intact, but maybe they too wouldn't give a toss. Albion might think once bitten, twice shy, especially as Hughton was soon confident he could make a player of Akpom.

Nketiah won’t be going out on loan unless he signs a new contract, his current one expires in less than 9 months.

This is the player who’s salary demands made Palace wince, groan and then pull out in the summer. That’s Palace, a team prepared to spunk £75k+ pw on a striker (Edouard) who had never scored in a top league but still refused to pay Nketiah’s astonishing demands.

He is like Tammy Abraham, he wants a kings ransom before he has earned the right to wear the crown.

Another player who will never ever play for the Albion.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
oooo that's controversial, Uncle Tony is God to 99.9999 percent recurring of the NSC membership.
I am of course taking the piss.
When the time is right we will probably sign a 30m or 35m striker but even that doesn’t guarantee you anything.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Nketiah won’t be going out on loan unless he signs a new contract, his current one expires in less than 9 months.

This is the player who’s salary demands made Palace wince, groan and then pull out in the summer. That’s Palace, a team prepared to spunk £75k+ pw on a striker (Edouard) who had never scored in a top league but still refused to pay Nketiah’s astonishing demands.

He is like Tammy Abraham, he wants a kings ransom before he has earned the right to wear the crown.

Another player who will never ever play for the Albion.

Easily sorted by a win / goal bonus

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Locadia didn't make the 19 v Man City even with Welbeck injured and i doubt he'll be in the squad tomorrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here