Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] January window

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
We’ve got the best squad I can remember, we’ve got a great management team from top to bottom.
We’ve got the worst forward options since we moved to the Amex.
In the championship we had better forward options than this.
It’s going to spoil our season. We’d have won tonight if Hemed and Baldock were our back up strikers instead of those two jokers. I actually feel for Potter, bloody hamstrung with his striking options.
January is a massive window for us and we HAVE acquired decent strikers in January before.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Squad is fine. Think Potter thinks so as well. Sima or Zeqiri would have stayed if he thought there was a lack of strikers.

Maupay, Trossard, Welbeck and Connolly, could be a lot worse.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sack the board.

Or perhaps not. :shrug:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Welbeck looks at a football pitch these days and pulls a hamstring, Connolly I can’t remember the last time he influenced a game at PL level & Maupay is up and down like a whores knickers. I’m with the OP.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Squad is fine. Think Potter thinks so as well. Sima or Zeqiri would have stayed if he thought there was a lack of strikers.

After the last 9 months are you honestly including Connolly and keeping a straight face? I like Welbeck but he’s never fit for more than 6 matches.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
After the last 9 months are you honestly including Connolly and keeping a straight face? I like Welbeck but he’s never fit for more than 6 matches.
And trossard ain't a striker.

We desperately need another striker. We are not man city we can't survive without them

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Connolly is a decent striker already with the talent to be a good one. Welbeck was fit for the majority of last season and hopefully he will play a similar amount of games this season.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Connolly is a decent striker already with the talent to be a good one. Welbeck was fit for the majority of last season and hopefully he will play a similar amount of games this season.

Where's the evidence to suggest he's decent already and how long should we wait for that talent to bear fruit? That chance in second half tonight was a virtual pass back. Maybe needs a loan out to shake him up.

Having said all this I do totally appreciate that the search for that elusive striker is lovely theory but a difficult reality. With our money we punch at a certain level and you can take a punt but with always the risk that you get another Locadia or Ali J.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
January transfer window. Oh sh*t. Another five thousand bleats about not shelling out tens of millions of Uncle Tony's money for a striker*.

*That will of course, be an anguished cry for any striker. Gawd, it will be a bore ..................

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Looking at the overall package of goal scoring forwards/match winners.

Maupay, Welbeck and Trossard’s the best we’ve had in the EPL 5 seasons, with Trossard having found his confidence.

Welbeck’s injury spells are inevitable, it’s dogged his career I think.

A 15 goal a season striker to add to the above may well be the dream of all of us and most probably Bloom, but they’re a rarity and countless numbers of other clubs across the major nation top flights in Europe are also after that elusive player. Some willing to pay wages on another planet to us.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012

Connolly tonight had that chance when clean through, timed his run, was in a position he loves just left of the middle. I was expecting him to take a touch onto his right foot and cut across the defenders opening up his favourite finish or clipped to go down. Instead he tries a first time effort with his wrong foot which was just poor on every level.
Why? Confidence and lack of matches. Is he going to fix that here? IMO now no. Needs to go out on loan or sold in Jan for his own sake and so we can get a more experienced replacement.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Where's the evidence to suggest he's decent already and how long should we wait for that talent to bear fruit? That chance in second half tonight was a virtual pass back. Maybe needs a loan out to shake him up.

Having said all this I do totally appreciate that the search for that elusive striker is lovely theory but a difficult reality. With our money we punch at a certain level and you can take a punt but with always the risk that you get another Locadia or Ali J.

He is skilled with the ball, slippery, makes good runs. Agree his finish was something similar to the one 41-England-caps Welbeck did against Leicester in the league or the finish from Cristiano Ronaldo in the beginning of second half against Atalanta - poor. But that happens to all players at all levels, not used these three.

Another two seasons would be a fair wait. By then he will be 23 and need to perform on a regular basis if he wants to stay in the PL without dropping down a division first.

As for a loan, wouldnt mind it. Would be good for him. But he is useful at this level as well already.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Connolly tonight had that chance when clean through, timed his run, was in a position he loves just left of the middle. I was expecting him to take a touch onto his right foot and cut across the defenders opening up his favourite finish or clipped to go down. Instead he tries a first time effort with his wrong foot which was just poor on every level.
Why? Confidence and lack of matches. Is he going to fix that here? IMO now no. Needs to go out on loan or sold in Jan for his own sake and so we can get a more experienced replacement.

It was a bad shot and a bad decision indeed. I've seen everyone from Ronaldo/Messi to Welbeck miss chances while clean on goal though, it doesnt tell the whole story.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia

Trossard isn't a striker, and never will be.

Maupay is inconsistent

Connolly needs to be loaned out

Welbeck's always going to pick up injuries.

Given the above, if Maupay picks up a serious injury we're absolutely screwed.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Trossard isn't a striker, and never will be.

Maupay is inconsistent

Connolly needs to be loaned out

Welbeck's always going to pick up injuries.

Given the above, if Maupay picks up a serious injury we're absolutely screwed.

Trossard is about as much of a striker as Phil Foden: not really, but also you might not need a traditional striker with a player like that.

Connolly is shite. Terrible attitude and not a very good footballer at this level.

You dont know anything about his attitude. Judging him based on hearsay or haircuts says a bit about your own attitude issues however.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
It's always been looking at the right player for the right price, whatever the window and whatever the state of the squad

If we keep the momentum up in the league we could go into January in quite a strong position with regards to attracting players who are potentially better than what we've got

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
A couple of strikers would be good, other than that we’re well set.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It was a bad shot and a bad decision indeed. I've seen everyone from Ronaldo/Messi to Welbeck miss chances while clean on goal though, it doesnt tell the whole story.

Those fellas make the occasional error of judgement and/or poor decision. Connolly needs a loan somewhere to prove he has something. The PL isn't the place to prove himself or (as appears the case) learn

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Are you seriously giving Connolly a pass because two of the worlds best players for the last decade miss a couple of chances ??? Every great player has off days although over a season they are quickly forgotten because they go on and bang 20+ goals in Connolly will be lucky to start another PL game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here