Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What Is Your Main Source For Listening To Music At Home?

What Is Your MAIN Source For Listening To Music At Home?

• Hi Fi separates for physical formats only.

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Hi-Fi separates with a streaming amp or server

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • All in one 'Music Centre'

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • A Radio

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Computer connected to speakers

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Computer connected to headphones

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Phone connected to speakers

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • Phone connected to headphones

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • DAP (Digital Audio Player) via headphones

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Still love my old Logitech Squeezebox Touch connected to amp and separates for radio listening (Soul Betty, Radio Paradise, FiP, Caroline Flashback, Kiss West Coast) and a Tidal HiFi quality account.
But I also still play many CDs via amp and speakers because there is a lot of music still not available on streaming, especially compilations of various artists.
All those playing via itunes, is the quality not shit? At least with Tidal HiFi and my Squeezebox it is still cd quality.

edit - £100 for the Squeezebox 10 years ago has to be one of my best ever purchases, talk about vfm.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Interesting to see all the different mash ups, and how many people still have a physical collection of music, even if it's in storage or not played much.

For me, getting rid of my old Roksan power amp and a 7 channel mixer being fed with multiple sources and replacing it with a Yamaha network amp has been a revelation.
I put one of the turntables into storage, but still use the other one as the new amp has a phono stage. Ditched the old Technics tuner, because the new amp has FM, AM and internet radio. It also has enough inputs to still take my CD player, CD recorder and twin tape deck. The TV is also connected to it via optical, and as it has a dedicated sub woofer input too, I added in an Elac sub to compliment my very old but still very loved Monitor Audio floor standing speakers.
It also connects to the router via ethernet so I stream my Deezer hifi subscription at 16/44.1

In all honesty though, I find myself streaming Deezer through this set up much more than I play my vinyl, CD's and tapes. So my main home listening is still via hifi separates in the front room, but now with the emphasis much more on streaming.

However, I've ripped all my CD's and am gradually working through my vinyl. So my physical collection is stored as FLAC files and listened to a lot on shuffle play on my Sony DAP when not in the front room.

Music lovers have never had it so good really. The options are endless now, and we can mix in the new without having to do away with the old.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Cd's through a stack stereo.:(

I don't think I'm an audiophile. For a start I've been bewildered by all the named equipment and specifications in this thread. I think it's my preference because:

1)It's what I grew up with

2) I'm shit with technology/computers.

3) I realy like having a physical product. It makes me feel more connected. not sure why, it just does.

One of the things I've really liked about living in Tokyo is that Japan is old school and has a huge market for listening to music in a physical format. Unfortunately even that is being eaten away by the digital revolution. There are two large Tower Records in the city which until recently had a whole floor dedicated to rock/pop cds. Now they've been reduced to a fraction of a floor. Although one is sharing with Vinyl.

It's a sad state of affairs for me as it becomes increasingly difficult to find albums by bands other than the biggest and most popular acts.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Probably already been said but no option for Alexa/Google smart speaker.

I've had Echo devices for a while and got myself an Echo Show a few months back. Great sound quality and plenty loud enough. You can bluetooth anything from your phone too if Amazon music doesn't have what you want.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
1 - Hi-Fi separates in the living room.
2 - Quality Roberts radio / CD / SD card player in the kitchen-conservatory.
3 - One of those, all-in-one midi hi-fi things (DAB / CD / Tape) in my loft, now my office space. 6Music till 1, then CD's afternoon - couldn't stand that Keaveny chap, and Craig Charles is worse!

Thinking of moving number 1 up to number 3 - as I spend more time there now.

Have never really got into streaming, partly because when on the computer for work, I'm using up bandwidth already.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Probably already been said but no option for Alexa/Google smart speaker.

I've had Echo devices for a while and got myself an Echo Show a few months back. Great sound quality and plenty loud enough. You can bluetooth anything from your phone too if Amazon music doesn't have what you want.

Yeah, apologies, I missed out smart speaker option, as well as Other. Can't seem to edit poll now either.

I think phone connected to speaker will have to cover that option now.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sonos and Spotify or 6 Music. Still have tons of CDs and a CD player but not used it in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Sonos and Spotify or 6 Music. Still have tons of CDs and a CD player but not used it in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any chance of editing the poll for me please?

Big mistake not adding smart speaker. Have a feeling it'll come out as top option judging by responses so far.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I stream most music and radio but cannot get the Albion commentary which is annoying so have to dig out an old radio . I normally watch the Albion on a stream though.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
'Alexa play Chris Country' tends to work for me

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Sonos linked to Amazon Music and Deezer

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't really have one main way

When I'm not watching anything in particular, my TV is on the music channels (currently on 'now that's what I call the 90s).
Weekday my alarm clock radio wakes me up with DAB
Weekends my alarm clock radio wakes me up to my ipod
When I work from home, I usually listen to podcast through my TV soundbox (like a sound bar, but bigger), but for some tasks I need to concentrate and barely pay attention to the podcasts, so play music from my maacbook through the soundbox.
If I'm home and not working, I'll listen to music via my macbook speakers, sometimes with earphones if it's late
If I'm in the office or out and about, I'll listen to music from my phone via earphones or airpods (depending on how long I'll be out).

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
In the 70's as a DJ I would hump box loads of vinyl around.
Come the invention of the CD I burnt all my vinyl on to disc.
Then came Mini Disc so I burnt my CD's to Mini Disc. What a waste of time.
Now I've 4 Alexa thingies around the house and it is so easy.
Alexa, play Radio Caroline Flashback, everywhere. Up it comes all around the house.
For even more fun, buy your Mum one and link it to your account. Go online and play Ace of Spades, volume 10, at 1 in the morning!
Want more fun. Drop in to your Mums with a voice saying 'I can see you'.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I have a Denon amp hooked up to Canton floor standing speakers, all wired up through my TV/PS5.
I tend to find music on YouTube and then use a downloader so I don't have to listen to the annoying bloody adverts every 30 seconds. I then Bluetooth it to the amp from my phone.
If I'm playing certain games, usually racing games, then I'll use Spotify on my PS5 in the background and I have a pair of Audio Technica headphones for that so I don't disturb the Mrs.
As soon as we move out of the flat and get a house, I'll be reinvesting in a pair of Technics 1200/1210's so I can get back into mixing and being a vinyl junkie again.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
music room has Arcam Alpha 8 amp/power amp, Rega P3 , PMC twenty5-21 speakers, vinyl only zone really although I have a CD player in there

TV room has a sonos soundbar and Cambridge amps/cd B&W 601s3 speakers

man cave has old Arcam A6 AE109 floorstanders 2 decks and CD . . . and a PA and 4 guitar/bass amps

we're not short of things that make noise. spotify on my phone for the car.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here