Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What Is Your Main Source For Listening To Music At Home?

What Is Your MAIN Source For Listening To Music At Home?

• Hi Fi separates for physical formats only.

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Hi-Fi separates with a streaming amp or server

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • All in one 'Music Centre'

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • A Radio

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Computer connected to speakers

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Computer connected to headphones

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Phone connected to speakers

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • Phone connected to headphones

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • DAP (Digital Audio Player) via headphones

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm wondering if listening to music at home on the Hi-Fi has, or is becoming, a thing of the past?

Many of us of a certain age would have grown up with the all in one 'Music Centre'. Then probably progressed onto Hi-Fi separates when we moved out of home. Vinyl on the turntable. Cassettes on the tape deck. Then CD's in the CD player, and either a separate tuner or radio via an integrated amp.

We're told vinyl sales are still increasing, so surely more and more people must own and use a turntable. It was cassette week recently too, and sales of cassettes are said to be on the rise.

Has streaming really moved people away from physical formats and therefore 'Hi-Fi', or are more people buying streaming amps and having the best of all world's? Or do the majority of streamers only stream and use a phone/computer or tv, primarily connected to wireless speakers or headphones?

I ask because it occurred to me that a lot of people I know don't have a Hi Fii at home any more. Or in the case of youngsters, never had one in the first place.

Poll to follow, If I can work out how to do one.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have gone from vinyl to cassette to mini disc to CD but for over a decade now an Ipod and Iphone, speaker is now a Soundbox and my stereo system and four speakers are now just dust collectors. Apple Car Play in the car with Harmon Kardon speakers, love it.

No Spotify or Apple Music subscription. I am old school, I like to own my music not rent it

The poll is going well it seems…… :wink:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Radio/youtube on either a Sony DAB portable, Windows desktop when working as background music with a sound-bar, or iPad.

I have a full HiFi separates stack including a Rega turnable, Sony non-DAB tuner and full working cassette player! Plus 100’s of vinyls owned all the way back from 10 years of age onwards, in great condition. But I’m incredibly lazy about playing the vinyls, the palaver of it all and changing albums over.

My Apple Music playlists when in the car. Bang & Olusen.

Never owned an iPod or saved music to a hard drive.

Instead I’ve a load of personal youtube playlists, by categories.

A great Sonos speaker’s in our home, but mainly used by Mrs.W.

Last edited:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I have a JBL OnTimeTime Machine Alarm Clock/Dock for iPod - gives me radio and my own music on iPod.
Sometimes use my phone with a Samsung sound bar.
Part of decluttering and downsizing meant getting shot of all my vinyl and cassettes. I have a loft full of cds that I am loathed to chuck out but, unless I somehow lost all my digitalised music, they will just gather dust.

rbridd

Aug 9, 2005
I'm still old school with a big pair of Isobariks in the front room fed by turntable, and CD player.

I built myself a pair of monoblock Class D power amplifiers last year, but after many, many experiments, retained my old Naim 32.5 Pre-amp but upgraded the Hi-Cap power supply with home built TeddyReg regulators and better power caps..

Most of my listening is through a home built Raspberry Pi streamer, (Wolfson DAC and home built PSU with regulator based on the TeddyReg design.), playing mostly FLAC encoded music from the NAS.

My daughters drive me nuts by listening to their music on their phones, or through computer speakers, claiming it sounds just as good as the hifi.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I listen to all music (and TV) at home through my AV Receiver. It's got internet connection and I spend most of the time switching between Spotify and Internet Radio for music. I also have a turntable connected to it which I tend to use at weekends occassionally.

My CD collection is in my parents' garage. They keep pestering me about getting rid of it. I'll probably sort through it when I'm back in the UK next month. I copied all my CD music on to a hard drive (along with other music I've "acquired" over the years). Most of that music is copied on to my phone and I only listen to that through headphones when I'm out or Bluetooth to a car whenever I hire one.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
My hi fi seperates died several years ago and were not replaced.
I have a cd player, but only really listen to cd's in the car these days, and even then only rarely.
I don't bother streaming.
Albums used to be "an event", not just a series of unconnected songs which I'd what streaming feels like.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
For background music, I just use an Amazon Alexa for the radio - mainly BBC 6 Music, Triple JJJ from Oz or KEXP from Seattle.

For proper listening, my actual music collection is just over 850GB of hi-res FLAC and similar format files stored on an Astell & Kern SE200, played through Bang & Olufsen headphones.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I have all my old vinyl and CDs ripped to MP3 and loaded on an external hard drive, which is plugged into my magbox connected to the TV. So, I listen to all my music through the TV from the hard drive/magbox and also watch all my TV streamed through the magbox.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We have a Naim Unity Atom with all my music stored on a WD Passport in uncompressed format plugged in the back.

It is connected to the TV and has built in DAB and internet radio and Spotify.

The speakers are still the old faithful TDLs from when I had a full separates system and a huge vinyl / CD collection.

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Alexa plays music from my wife's Apple Music account, via any one of our four Echoes. She also wakes us up with random tunes.

But when I want to hear my own (much rockier) music (ripped from CDs, cassette and vinyl), I'll play it through my PC speakers. Or phone/headphones if I'm gardening. Or the car's USB socket and speakers if I'm driving.

Does anyone stream music through their phones in the car?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I'm still old school with a big pair of Isobariks in the front room fed by turntable, and CD player.

I built myself a pair of monoblock Class D power amplifiers last year, but after many, many experiments, retained my old Naim 32.5 Pre-amp but upgraded the Hi-Cap power supply with home built TeddyReg regulators and better power caps..

Most of my listening is through a home built Raspberry Pi streamer, (Wolfson DAC and home built PSU with regulator based on the TeddyReg design.), playing mostly FLAC encoded music from the NAS.

My daughters drive me nuts by listening to their music on their phones, or through computer speakers, claiming it sounds just as good

Edit failed to paste . See below

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

My daughters drive me nuts by listening to their music on their phones, or through computer speakers, claiming it sounds just as good as the hifi.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DvswW6M7bMo

Did you inspire this?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here