Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Latvia v England

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Did anyone else see the big WC Qualifier last night? I taped it and watched it this morning. Another hugely impressive win for the Lionesses, continuing their 100% record in qualifying so far.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did anyone else see the big WC Qualifier last night? I taped it and watched it this morning. Another hugely impressive win for the Lionesses, continuing their 100% record in qualifying so far.

Tee hee....'hugely impressive' win over the team ranked below 100th in the World (sandwiched between Nepal and Tahiti, and below teams like the Faroe Islands, New Caledonia and Guam)

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Tee hee....'hugely impressive' win over the team ranked below 100th in the World (sandwiched between Nepal and Tahiti, and below teams like the Faroe Islands, New Caledonia and Guam)

And therein lies the problem with womens football. FIFA, UEFA and the local FAs just dont invest in developing the womens game in so many countries.

Womens football would be well served to have a prelim tournament (as with the current cricket T20 World Cup) where the weaker countries compete with the winners advancing to the main tournament.

As Emma Hayes correctly said in commentary last night, it doesn't do England any good rolling over the weaker teams; they need to be challenged to improve.

But the old aporting adage "you can only beat whats in front of you" applies here but I reffed better standard teams back in 70s/80s than that Latvian side last night. They really were abysmal!

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

you can only beat the teams you play! a ten nil win away from home is impressive whoever the opposition are and the fact that its the second time they have done a 10-0 in the group stage, have a goal difference of PLUS 32 after 4 games and I believe are yet to concede a goal is actually quite impressive

How often have the England men's team (or Brighton for that matter) played matches against very lowly ranked opposition and struggled to get a 1-0 win, or even drawn and lost?

I think that the Lionesses deserve a bit of respect and praise for their performances, whoever its against

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
And therein lies the problem with womens football. FIFA, UEFA and the local FAs just dont invest in developing the womens game in so many countries.

Womens football would be well served to have a prelim tournament (as with the current cricket T20 World Cup) where the weaker countries compete with the winners advancing to the main tournament.

As Emma Hayes correctly said in commentary last night, it doesn't do England any good rolling over the weaker teams; they need to be challenged to improve.

But the old aporting adage "you can only beat whats in front of you" applies here but I reffed better standard teams back in 70s/80s than that Latvian side last night. They really were abysmal!

Yep - Junior works for Lewes Women (2nd tier) so I watch them a fair bit - I'm certain they would slaughter Latvia.

It'll take years but things will improve. Top tiers in England are progressing pretty quickly, standards improving and much more competitive - loads more money going into it of course.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
you can only beat the teams you play! a ten nil win away from home is impressive whoever the opposition are and the fact that its the second time they have done a 10-0 in the group stage, have a goal difference of PLUS 32 after 4 games and I believe are yet to concede a goal is actually quite impressive

How often have the England men's team (or Brighton for that matter) played matches against very lowly ranked opposition and struggled to get a 1-0 win, or even drawn and lost?

I think that the Lionesses deserve a bit of respect and praise for their performances, whoever its against

No disrespect to England at all - the gulf in the Women's game is just much bigger atm between the top and bottom countries. Did you actually watch it ? Compare for example with the NI/Austria game last night ?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

The womens game is developing slowly but surely.

25 years ago only 52 teams even participated in the qualifiers to the 1995 World Cup, now there are 173 nations trying to qualify for the 2023 World Cup. Obviously a lot of them are really bad, just like a lot of teams were really bad in mens football back in the 30s or 40s. In 1995 only five teams (Sweden, USA, Germany, China and Norway) had a realistic chance of winning, today its the double and it happens more frequently that not-so-good nations (not Latvia as they are obviously worse than not-so-good) are challenging the good ones.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The womens game is developing slowly but surely.

25 years ago only 52 teams even participated in the qualifiers to the 1995 World Cup, now there are 173 nations trying to qualify for the 2023 World Cup. Obviously a lot of them are really bad, just like a lot of teams were really bad in mens football back in the 30s or 40s. In 1995 only five teams (Sweden, USA, Germany, China and Norway) had a realistic chance of winning, today its the double and it happens more frequently that not-so-good nations (not Latvia as they are obviously worse than not-so-good) are challenging the good ones.

Exactly this...comparing it with the current men's game doesn't make sense - it's at a much earlier stage of evolution. NI gave Austria a good game last night (48th v 21st)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
"England's women have won 10-0 before, but can they do it on a wet and cold* Tuesday night in Latvia?"

Apparently so...

*apparently it was 7°C and raining.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
0B45451C-3C3F-4CF9-839B-BB99D63301A2.png

Latvia possession was mostly collecting the ball from in, or behind the goal, and kicking off.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
No disrespect to England at all - the gulf in the Women's game is just much bigger atm between the top and bottom countries. Did you actually watch it ? Compare for example with the NI/Austria game last night ?

I didn't watch it , i remember watching the Women's world cup or a shebelieves cup about 8 / 9 years ago and to be honest it was woeful. I didn't really watch a lot of womens football after that for ages. About 18 months ago I saw an England match, and then some WSL matches and was amazed at how much the game had progressed. Not as fast as the mens game but the skill and technical level had improved immeasurably . The investment putin is really paying off, although the gulf in clas between those nations that do invest and thise that dont can be seen in some of the huge scorelines in the world cup qualifying games

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The only dissapointing thing for me was that we only scored 19 goals from our 58 shots.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I really want to take women's football seriously but it's difficult to do that when the England team has won its last 4 group games 10-0, 10-0, 8-0 and 4-0.

Even in Under 11s kids football the leagues recognise teams smashing other teams by double-digit scores is bad for the sport which is why there are four or five divisions based on ability.

Frankly, it makes me feel uncomfortable watching a complete mismatch. It's like watching Barry from Eastenders fighting Mike Tyson.

FIFA need to sort this shit out. Women's international football has no credibility while we persist with these farcical matches.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here