Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Aussie Player Comes Out

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
How is it in Austalia for this sort of thing . I imagine they are similar to us and the Yanks with levels of acceptance ?

Only asking as most Ozzies I've met are extremely sexist and non tolerant for certain things.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
How is it in Austalia for this sort of thing . I imagine they are similar to us and the Yanks with levels of acceptance ?

Only asking as most Ozzies I've met are extremely sexist and non tolerant for certain things.

It's been a long time since I was last exposed to this in Aus, but as with any country it depends on where you are both geographically and demographically. Some states are more tolerant than others, and even within states there used to be a big divide between rural and urban, then in the urban areas a definite class divide.

Sydney has one of the longest running and best supported Pride / Mardi Gras festivals in the world, which suggests Sydney at least is reasonably tolerant. But then you have areas within Sydney that would be a no-go after dark if you're out.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Very accepting. I went to the Sydney Mardi Gras in 1995 and it seemed like the whole city was out that night.

If you live in the outback I'm guessing it wouldn't be quite as forward thinking. Tasmania may be a bit more conservative.

He shouldn't have many issues excepting a few boneheaded responses. He's in Adelaide, my favourite city, he'll be fine.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I suspect that any PL player who came out would have very little problem at matches but he would probably need to delete his twitter account.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
The thing is football isn't just the national sport it's the international sport. It's the main sport loved by practically every country. I think if more active, professional players were brave enough to come out then it would be a huge step towards acceptance and tolerance in societies world wide.

Yes there will be the ********s but they'll eventually disappear and soon it will be completely normal.

I hope this opens the flood gates. Good on you Cavallo!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

99.99% of the population won't care.

A lot more important things going on in the country at present with Covid.

It's like when Ian Thorpe came out and told everyone he was gay. Most people already thought he was anyway so when he announced it nobody really cared about the news and he had an Olympic superstar profile attached to him.

Made some good coin out of it though.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I see the word "Tolerated" quite a lot, which to most of you probably seems a reasonable thing to say, Its great that LGBTQ.. people are now "tolerated" a lot more-

can i ask that before saying you are tolerant of us, you actually take a moment to think about what you are implying by using Tolerate.

This isnt me being a snowflake, and getting offended for no reason, its me pointing out one reason why a well known sports person has to think before stopping hiding and living a lie.

tolerate
/ˈtɒləreɪt/
Learn to pronounce
verb
past tense: tolerated; past participle: tolerated
allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one dislikes or disagrees with) without interference.
"a regime unwilling to tolerate dissent"

Personally I don't want to be "tolerated" , because that implies you are just putting up with me and wont make too much of a fuss. You tolerate the occasional student party, you tolerate watching the other halves awful tv program so you can have an easy life, you tolerate a slightly overdone steak in a restaurant because you dont want to make a fuss.

What you shouldn't do is just about put up with LGBTQ people because you dont want to make a fuss, or be seen in a bad light

How about you view us as the same as you, and dont just tolerate us, but fully accept us as equals without any qualification.

Would you say you "tolerate" someone from a different ethnic background, or gender working with you, or using the same shops, or being part of your social circle, I certainly hope you wouldn't even need to think once, let alone twice about that, yet I hear that I am tolerated and thats just great and dandy and I should be pleased.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Such a shame that this should even be news.

Maybe, maybe not. Whatever it is, news it is. And excellent news at that. Well done Josh Cavallo, you did a very brave thing. Something that will benefit the whole of football, hopefully in the very near future. Your may have moved something very significant on to its next, much needed and long overdue, stage

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Fair play to the fella, though this really shouldn't be a thing in the 21st century.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

****sake mate , sydney is the second biggest gay community in the world ....give yourself an upper cut ffs , most "Ozzies " couldn't give a shyte if your gay or not , they are far more concerned with where our current government is leading us and wether we can get rid of them soon or not......where have you met these "Ozzies" i bet they are Sydney uni law/economics grads on a 3 month ******* tour of Europe paid for by mummy and daddy.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I see the word "Tolerated" quite a lot, which to most of you probably seems a reasonable thing to say, Its great that LGBTQ.. people are now "tolerated" a lot more-

can i ask that before saying you are tolerant of us, you actually take a moment to think about what you are implying by using Tolerate.

This isnt me being a snowflake, and getting offended for no reason, its me pointing out one reason why a well known sports person has to think before stopping hiding and living a lie.

tolerate
/ˈtɒləreɪt/
Learn to pronounce
verb
allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one dislikes or disagrees with) without interference.

Personally I don't want to be "tolerated" , because that implies you are just putting up with me and wont make too much of a fuss. You tolerate the occasional student party, you tolerate watching the other halves awful tv program so you can have an easy life, you tolerate a slightly overdone steak in a restaurant because you dont want to make a fuss.

What you shouldn't do is just about put up with LGBTQ people because you dont want to make a fuss, or be seen in a bad light

How about you view us as the same as you, and dont just tolerate us, but fully accept us as equals without any qualification.

Would you say you "tolerate" someone from a different ethnic background, or gender working with you, or using the same shops, or being part of your social circle, I certainly hope you wouldn't even need to think once, let alone twice about that, yet I hear that I am tolerated and thats just great and dandy and I should be pleased.

I agree, though tbf I think (most) people are just using the word "tolerate" in the wrong way rather than meaning "tolerate" according to the true definition of the word. I hope.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Fair play to the fella, though this really shouldn't be a thing in the 21st century.

You would have thought not but it is what it is. I remember the symbolically empty Paddy Power bus at Brighton Pride a couple of years ago.

https://www.gaytimes.co.uk/life/paddy-power-explains-their-empty-bus-stunt-at-brighton-pride/

I loved the heart-warming documentary on Gareth Thomas when he came out, How scared he was about the reaction of his team mates and the fans. The universal response was "Yeah...........and?". The love and respect he got from within the game was fantastic. There was nothing for him to fear.

Gay footballers shouldn't have to hide away. Yes, dear Justin took a lot of flak and grief that ultimately resulted in his untimely death but that was mainly from his brother and other members of his family. I would like to think the world has moved on and that any player who came out would be treated no differently to any other player. it should make no difference.

No place for discrimination of any kind, in any sport.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

tolerate
/ˈtɒləreɪt/
Learn to pronounce
verb

'Tolerant' is a Daily Mail word that speaks of some kind of benevolent liberalism that runs against the grain of society. It's a very classist word suggesting that certain traits or behaviours are endured because they are a hapless failing of the peasant.

A better word is 'accepting', but even that shows reserve. I'd like to think that we are an enlightened society.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I agree, though tbf I think (most) people are just using the word "tolerate" in the wrong way rather than meaning "tolerate" according to the true definition of the word. I hope.

This touches ion a broader subject- with people "lazily" using words in the wrong context, or slightly different meaning than that wanted and a "oh, you know what i mean" attitude

Often people forget how hurtful careless use of language can be, in all aspects of life. I think we should all be a bit more thoughtful when using words that may not quite mean what we think they do.

There was a thread on here recently where a poster said his wife had made a single comment when his daughter was around 11 , and years later when he asked her why she hadn't come out sooner, she said it was because of something she overheard her mother say all those years before and she was scared of letting her know as she feared her reaction!

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
The absolute state of the replies to the Sky Sports tweet on this subject shows how hard a thing it is to do. Good luck to him, whatever comeback he gets from the knuckledraggers, he'll feel so much happier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here