[Other Sport] Which bird will you be roasting this Christmas?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which bird will you be roasting?

• Turkey

Votes: 39 37.9%
  • Goose

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Chicken

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Pheasant

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Guinea Fowl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nut Roast

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • 3 bird roast

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 4 bird+ roast

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Fish

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Not celebrating

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Something else

Votes: 29 28.2%
  • Pigeon

Votes: 4 3.9%

• Total voters

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
The chestnuts are more expensive than the bird!

You are right , there not much in it ! £60 for the stuffing and about £75 for a decent size Turkey .

I’ve tried the usual stuffings in the UK, like sage and onion & breadcrumbs etc and found the taste very unpleasant . Pure roast chestnut stuffing is expensive but honestly it’s so worth it .

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
You might buy Italain chestnuts.....or they might be Chinese.

A few years back an Italian consortium of producers, Castel del Rio, said it had found 5,000 tonnes of chestnuts on the market bearing its name, when it produced only 550 tonnes!

That is awful - thanks for the heads up . I find the Italian ones are the sweetest . Italians do it better , was how I think Madonna put it .

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
That is awful - thanks for the heads up . I find the Italian ones are the sweetest . Italians do it better , was how I think Madonna put it .

This article is 8 years old but some friends in Puglia were saying 2 years ago that Turkish Chestnuts have also got into the Italian chestnut supply. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/11/italian-chestnut-market-chinese-imports

Last year we went here and I collected 5lbs worth without trying. No one else was interested in them. Very flavoursome. https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/winkworth-arboretum Long way to go mind.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Has to be an organic Turkey from Canhams butchers with chestnut stuffing . I buy 6 lbs of Italian chestnuts , boil them to soften them , peel them then stuff them in the bird with a tiny amount of olive oil . Once cooked chestnut stuffing is so nice , sweet and creamy .

It’s not cheap as Italian chestnuts are usually around £10 per lb and it’s quite time consuming but it’s worth every penny .

That seems incredibly expensive. I've just looked online and found Spanish chestnuts for 2.95 euros a kg. I checked out an Italian site too and found a Neapolitan variety for the same price. They also offered a more expensive variety for 5.50 Euros a kilo.

Sounds like you need a new castagnamonger.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
I bloody LOVE cooking Christmas dinner......all morning in the kitchen, radio blaring and a nice glass or two of wine on the go and NO-ONE else is allowed in there.

Same here. Get the bird started early after presents etc. Open the wine and start believing you’re Keith Floyd reincarnate. Then take in all the applause as you serve. Best bit, someone else can do the washing up whilst I bask in an alcoholic stupor in front of Only fools and horses.

Best day of the year.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
veg-haggis-product.png

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Gotta be Turkey. I know there are tastier meats etc but I really like my tradition at Christmas. Besides, the trimmings are where the action is at anyway. Crispy roast potatoes in goose fat, parsnips, three veg, pigs in blankets.

Prawn cocktail and glass of champagne to start, Christmas pud to finish.

Lovely.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
No shortages if you are willing to buy a frozen bird now and you have room to keep it in the freezer til crimbo.

The problem will be getting the millions of fresh Turkeys slaughtered, packed and delivered to the shops in the last 10 days before the day.

No turkey shortage, says British Poultry Council https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59268523

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Fore-rib of beef this year. 5 ribs worth.
Going to be a multi house operation as nothing else will fit in the oven.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
My family have finally had the courage to tell me they don't really like turkey (we don't eat much meat). Tastes "too meaty" apparently. So will have to work on an alternative this year.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Fore-rib of beef this year. 5 ribs worth.
Going to be a multi house operation as nothing else will fit in the oven.

5 :eek:

How many are you feeding ?

We normally have a Goose and Ham, but I'm thinking of making one those three bird roast type things for a change

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports