Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Dispatches on Channel 4 - homelessness and children in poverty.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Just watched Dispatches on Channel 4 tonight and found it devastating, about 3 kids growing up in one of the poorest wards in the Country in Luton and the effect it has on them and their education. If anybody thinks levelling up is going to be a piece of cake, or that the ending of the £20 uplift in Universal Credit is inconsequential, then they should watch it.

It mostly emphasised to me that:
Parents in these sorts of circumstances are not automatically stupid, and do care about their kids, and desperately want to do the best for them
That the kids are horribly affected by their situation. I would worry about my mum if she couldn’t pay the rent. I don’t want to go on holiday because you have to spend money. You’ve got a nice coat but mine is an auntie’s coat. Heartbreaking anxiety.
The things that some schools do in these sorts of circumstances is amazing - going the extra mile is an understatement - keeping up activities during the holidays, food bank deliveries and so on.

And anyone who thinks they are spending it all on wide screen TVs, fags and booze wants to take a good hard look at themselves.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just watched Dispatches on Channel 4 tonight and found it devastating, about 3 kids growing up in one of the poorest wards in the Country in Luton and the effect it has on them and their education. If anybody thinks levelling up is going to be a piece of cake, or that the ending of the £20 uplift in Universal Credit is inconsequential, then they should watch it.

Parents in these sorts of circumstances are not automatically stupid, and do care about their kids, and desperately want to do the best for them
That the kids are horribly affected by their situation. I would worry about my mum if she couldn’t pay the rent. I don’t want to go on holiday because you have to spend money. You’ve got a nice coat but mine is an auntie’s coat. Heartbreaking anxiety.
The things that some schools do in these sorts of circumstances is amazing - going the extra mile is an understatement - keeping up activities during the holidays, food bank deliveries and so on.

And anyone who thinks they are spending it all on wide screen TVs, fags and booze wants to take a good hard look at themselves.

I’ve not seen it. I totally get the poverty trap idea but no one is being forced to live in Luton (or wherever), mostly they choose to. There’s a tremendous sense of community in poverty. Do you think that’s a good thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008

You sound a bit nieve Dave I wouldnt rely on CH 4 for a look into the real world I'm sure the people in the programme are struggling but you need to look a little deeper

Regards
DF

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I’ve not seen it. I totally get the poverty trap idea but no one is being forced to live in Luton (or wherever), mostly they choose to. There’s a tremendous sense of community in poverty. Do you think that’s a good thing?

Spot the tory

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You sound a bit nieve Dave I wouldnt rely on CH 4 for a look into the real world I'm sure the people in the programme are struggling but you need to look a little deeper

Regards
DF

Deeper?

Let me guess... Muslims?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Spot the tory

Far from it!

Weird comment.

And...back on ignore :facepalm:

Reading posts by people I have on ignore is not bringing much* to my table :shrug:

*OK. Anything.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

I work in a lot of tenanted private accommodation many are getting hit by the £20 the tories took back from them. These are people who have had hard lives and probably wouldn’t hold down a job for many reasons. Many are living on £80 a month yes a month.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

They would not be able to sort anything out to move elsewhere, I would imagine. One of the mothers - a full-time care administrator but on Universal Credit as well - had been on the waiting list for a Council House for 9 years and was applying for things as they came up but being number 200+ for an individual house.

And yes, I am aware there is a sense of community in poverty. And it is a good thing in my view. People help each other.

I remember talking in a meeting to the Vicar of one of the poorer parts of Southampton a few years ago where he said: “People who don’t live in Thornhill wouldn't want to live there, and people who live in Thornhill wouldn’t want to live anywhere else.”

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Regards
DF

The truth hurts, eh!

Welcome to the real world. We’re not in Fairyland.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
They would not be able to sort anything out to move elsewhere, I would imagine. One of the mothers - a full-time care administrator but on Universal Credit as well - had been on the waiting list for a Council House for 9 years and was applying for things as they came up but being number 200+ for an individual house.

And yes, I am aware there is a sense of community in poverty. And it is a good thing in my view. People help each other.

I remember talking in a meeting to the Vicar of one of the poorer parts of Southampton a few years ago where he said: “People who don’t live in Thornhill wouldn't want to live there, and people who live in Thornhill wouldn’t want to live anywhere else.”

That’s kind of what I was getting at.

So what’s the solution to helping these people whilst keeping society fair and meritocratic?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Two out of the three families were, I would guess, Muslims.

Some of the fantastic staff at the school were Muslim, too

Yep.

And Das Reich won't reply or explain.

Because he's a racist Nazi.

Who knew?

We all knew! :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It was a question, not a statement. Do you not think people might have a reason to stay in a less than ideal situation?

Clinging together for warmth, having been down trodden, is the usual reason for not venturing forth. Among the white working class when I grew up it was called 'knowing your place' and being grateful for it.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

So what’s the solution to helping these people whilst keeping society fair and meritocratic?

Much though people tend to dismiss him because of the Iraq war, Blair’s government did enormous amounts to alleviate Child Poverty with benefits and things like Sure-start - support for the poorest most needy families. Spending money on education targeted at the poorest areas and so on and so on.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

But how would their situation be improved by moving?
Bearing in mind it would cost time and money, leave them without a support network?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
But how would their situation be improved by moving?
Bearing in mind it would cost time and money, leave them without a support network?

How about……….. improving the areas in which they live! Blair and his lot did that as well.

I am not treating Blair as some sort of hero figure, just thinking that he and his government did do a fair amount of good

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Free education is a good start if you want to decrease poverty.

We have that.

Er, up to uni level.

Is uni education free in your gaff?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here