Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] James Maddison goal

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Watching MOTD 2 i was annoyed that his first thought on being presented with an open goal by a totally unselfish pass from his teammate Daka was not to celebrate with said teammate and thank him but to ignore him and cup his ear to the opposition fans !
But then i got to thinking does that say more about me than it does him ? Thoughts ?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Watching MOTD 2 i was annoyed that his first thought on being presented with an open goal by a totally unselfish pass from his teammate Daka was not to celebrate with said teammate and thank him but to ignore him and cup his ear to the opposition fans !
But then i got to thinking does that say more about me than it does him ? Thoughts ?

If it's any consolation, I thought exactly the same as you. If it was me who received the pass and I scored, I would have gone straight to the provider and snogged him to death. Then I would have let the fans behind the goal have it!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He had been given the bird by the oppo fans so the ear cup made sense. But he should have gone to his majestic team mate for genuflection first.

So my verdict is Tw@.

Incidentally [MENTION=35196]Is it PotG?[/MENTION] has given me more NSC pleasure than any poster today :thumbsup:.

I cock a snook at confirmation bias??? :lolol:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Something happened in the heat of the moment.

I feel like we over scrutinise things a bit now we have the ability to endless replay said moment.

He may or may not be a selfish twit but I am not sure that this is sufficient evidence to decide either way.

Finch

Jul 21, 2009
New Zealand
I wouldn't read too much into it, heat of the moment all hopped up on adrenaline you don't always follow the exact right celebration etiquette. Not a Maddison fan but I wouldn't blame him if he was copping it.

Many years ago I was on a real dry spell as a centre forward and I'd been dropped to the bench when I got gifted a pass in front of an open goal. I celebrated like I'd just run through the whole team from half way as it was such a tension relief. Truly cringe as the assist giver was calling out my name and I had to sheepishly turn back give him a belated low five 'ah yeah, thanks, for doing everything but score'.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I have a disproportionate dislike for this player.

Not sure if it's the dive at the Amex, the haircut or what, but I just can't stand him.

His reaction to the goal as described by the OP is entirely in keeping with what I'd expect from him

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A goal from open play? Whats that

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

I have to admit, I really think that it's a celebration that's in the deep doldrums of rubbish ones. On certain occasions it works, i.e. the crowd are on your back all match and you crack in a late winner from 30 yards, but invariably it's an average goal from a player with his own agenda. It's my only real gripe against Connolly (and I don't want to turn this into an anti-Connolly thing because I actually think he's got bags of potential and I've spent a lot of time defending him). Giving the "big ears" after scoring a deflected opener against Swansea in the Carabao feels a bit OTT

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He’s had a really poor start to the season and taken a lot of criticism so totally understand why he’d celebrate like that.

And don’t understand the dislike for him, he’s just a player who’s got a bit of a personality and speaks honestly, usually players are criticised for being robots these days.

Fine player too.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
He’s had a really poor start to the season and taken a lot of criticism so totally understand why he’d celebrate like that.

And don’t understand the dislike for him, he’s just a player who’s got a bit of a personality and speaks honestly, usually players are criticised for being robots these days.

Fine player too.

Yeh agree, seems like a decent bloke to me. Great player. Great that's he's back on form (assuming he's not in the side tomorrow)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have a disproportionate dislike for this player.

Not sure if it's the dive at the Amex, the haircut or what, but I just can't stand him.

His reaction to the goal as described by the OP is entirely in keeping with what I'd expect from him

I suspect (with no evidence) that he may have a bit of a Joey Barton phenotype. A risk taker, thrill seeker, and with some charm and possibly intelligence, but sometimes reckless and careless, with poor judgment. Easily dislikable. And we can all guess where all this may lead. His every move is increasingly being monitored and every trangression will be greeted with 'told you so'.

The exact opposite of Boris, who can still charm, and can still occasionally make even me chuckle. My bad.

Perhaps this way of judgment is appropriate, perhaps not. Time will tell.

I will desist from joining the back of the lynch mob queue for the moment, though. I rather like him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have to admit, I really think that it's a celebration that's in the deep doldrums of rubbish ones. On certain occasions it works, i.e. the crowd are on your back all match and you crack in a late winner from 30 yards, but invariably it's an average goal from a player with his own agenda. It's my only real gripe against Connolly (and I don't want to turn this into an anti-Connolly thing because I actually think he's got bags of potential and I've spent a lot of time defending him). Giving the "big ears" after scoring a deflected opener against Swansea in the Carabao feels a bit OTT

This has been discussed. Both players had been barracked, and so both reactions make sense to me.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I still fail to see the problem with Connolly doing that gesture towards the Swansea fans as, according to those who were there, they had been very abusive against him.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I still fail to see the problem with Connolly doing that gesture towards the Swansea fans as, according to those who were there, they had been very abusive against him.

Mainly because that's actually his celebration. He did it against Spurs, Wolves (where there were no fans) and Swansea.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

What did you think the other week, when Maupay decided to give loads, and loads and then some more, to the Palace fans behind the goal, rather than go looking for Veltman to thank him for the assist? Personally, I think Maupay made an excellent choice, and I reckon Veltman enjoyed it more too.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
What did you think the other week, when Maupay decided to give loads, and loads and then some more, to the Palace fans behind the goal, rather than go looking for Veltman to thank him for the assist? Personally, I think Maupay made an excellent choice, and I reckon Veltman enjoyed it more too.

Yes fair point ! But to me quite a difference between teammate hitting long ball from halfway and Maupay still having keeper to beat AND teammate in the box with keeper to beat passing sideways and presenting Maddison with an unmissable open goal !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here