Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] A manager uses an inappopriate adjective. Thoughts?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It was an unfortunate choice - or misuse - of a word. Of course, it is a very emotive word, but many people will immediately jump on it, wrongly believng that any reference to A holocaust is in a knee-jerk way taken to be the same as THE holocaust.
There's another word that sometimes gets similarly misused in this kind of situation. Suppose somebody said, "Manchester United were decimated by Liverpool" few people would turn a hair. But decimated? Like f*** they weren't! Now that really would have made front page news!

What if the generals demanded that one in ten of his soldiers be slaughtered.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Since I started the thread I will read your post. Here is what the Oxford dictionary says:

1. Destruction or slaughter on a mass scale, especially caused by fire or nuclear war.
β€˜a nuclear holocaust’

1.1the HolocaustThe mass murder of Jewish people under the German Nazi regime during the period 1941–5. More than 6 million European Jews, as well as members of other persecuted groups such as Romani, gay people, and disabled people, were murdered at concentration camps such as Auschwitz.

Barton can easily argue that he meant the first definition and in analogy. It is unarguable.

Unless yout think Barton is secretly (not so secretly, apparently) promoting Naziism. Deliberately using the word to upset Jews. Seriously?

Bit of a tit, or Agent of Farrage/Corbyn, hell bent on supporting their quest to push the Jews into the sea? You appear to have decided. And back on ignore. :mad:

Apparently Phil Brown made the same comment a few years ago.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Anyone whose been to school knows exactly what that word means and why for obvious reasons it’s extremely offensive to use out of context . I would put it up there with the N word it’s that offensive .

It means "completely burnt" - a metaphor for disaster - and has been used as such in a variety of different contexts. To give one example, The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists sometimes refer to "nuclear holocaust" when discussing their Doomsday clock, and they are certainly not alone in this. Another example is that the phrase "environmental holocaust" was used just one month ago by the Chilean PM as he met your Boris boy.

If Barton had said "the holocaust" rather than "a holocaust", its a different story but fact is that the word has a wider use than just referring to the Holocaust.

Obviously this fact is not going to prevent The Knight of Good Morale to take a shit on another human being (in this case Joey Barton) but I highly suspect he was seeing the performance as a catastrophy rather than a (specific) genocide.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Neo post-Brexitism?

...... or possibly Countdown. Hello Susie!

Third best laugh of the day. Sorry @is it potg beat you too it. I'm far too drunk* now to appreciate comedy :wink:

*That was a joke, before prancing ninnies start prancing all over my oeuvre???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It means "completely burnt" - a metaphor for disaster - and has been used as such in a variety of different contexts. To give one example, The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists sometimes refer to "nuclear holocaust" when discussing their Doomsday clock, and they are certainly not alone in this. Another example is that the phrase "environmental holocaust" was used just one month ago by the Chilean PM as he met your Boris boy.

If Barton had said "the holocaust" rather than "a holocaust", its a different story but fact is that the word has a wider use than just referring to the Holocaust.

Obviously this fact is not going to prevent The Knight of Good Morale to take a shit on another human being (in this case Joey Barton) but I highly suspect he was seeing the performance as a catastrophy rather than a (specific) genocide.

110% correct.

I told you earlier that we are aligned in almost everything. With that in mind, I will give some thought about how to prod you out of your inertia :thumbsup:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
One of my bosses quite often picks the wrong word out of the air both in oral and verbal discussions, to the extent where if you read his emails literally, they can mean something completely different to what he was intending to say. He's not particularly dim, and is slightly dyslexic - so none of this is done with any harm meant - it's just he hasn't quite got the grasp of language that most others have.

It does mean that much of the time you have to try and second-guess what he is actually trying to say.

Trouble is, that it can lead to years of misunderstanding - where he can make a pronouncement and we all troop off and do something, and six months later it turns out that when he wrote 'It's me' [that was doing something], he actually meant 'It's not me'!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
One of my bosses quite often picks the wrong word out of the air both in oral and verbal discussions, to the extent where if you read his emails literally, they can mean something completely different to what he was intending to say. He's not particularly dim, and is slightly dyslexic - so none of this is done with any harm meant - it's just he hasn't quite got the grasp of language that most others have.

It does mean that much of the time you have to try and second-guess what he is actually trying to say.

Trouble is, that it can lead to years of misunderstanding - where he can make a pronouncement and we all troop off and do something, and six months later it turns out that when he wrote 'It's me' [that was doing something], he actually meant 'It's not me'!

As someone on the aspergers/autism spectrum (towards the awkward end) I am fully aware of this (by the learning of hard lessons, not from innate insight). And causing unintended offense owing to an exuberant and unrestrained use of our wonderful ****ing language is something that happens, governed by probability, in one in 100 conversations. You ****. See, I have a small amount of insight, a slight gift for comedy and am well intentioned. Not everyone with some bricks missing has my redeeming flying buttresses. ???

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I would hope it was made by someone whose first language was not English, perhaps not quite getting how significant use of the word was.

Being Barton, totally understandable as he is an ********.

I thought he was French!
I am sure I remember hearing him being interviewed and he definitely spoke with a French accent. :lolol:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Is anyone familiar with the Dunning and Krueger effect?

It's a cognitive bias that says that the ignorant are so ignorant, that they don't realise they are ignorant, and they consider their abilities are vastly greater than they are.
So you get Joe Public thinking he would do a better job than a leader of industry for instance.

Is the Dunning and Krueger effect applicable here?

Did Barton use 'holocaust' out of context, but thought he was being clever, oblivious of the offence it would cause?
Or did he use it - precisely because - he knew it would cause offence? Because he knew it would get discussed in the media? Get his name out there, beyond the
backwater of Bristol?

I don't know the answer, but I do wonder if it was the latter.

Throughout his career, he has been a disruptor, chucking a grenade in here and there, shaking things up a bit and moving on. It's what he does.

Just a thought. I might be wrong, and I frequently am.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I find it interesting that one or two, who would normally side with the Right (not traditionally favourable towards the Jews), have on this occasion decided to side with the Barton lynch mob.

I am unfamiliar with what attracts bullies, but it would seem that the easier and weaker target is the first one you go for.

Who knew? ???

Hoping you are confusing the Right and the Far Right?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yes, that is what decimation actually means. Which is why it would be inapporopriate for use in the context I quoted.

I got slaughtered on Saturday

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
My thoughts are simple. It is sad that another human being feels they can use that word in this context. He needs to ask himself why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
It is a word with a meaning and can be used, in context, to describe something other than the events of the capitalised version of the word. Same thing with apocalypse and the Apocalypse (of biblical meaning) ot troubles and the Troubles, etc etc.

In the context used... Wrong word. Doesn't mean what the speaker thinks it means. But that doesn't preclude its use, uncapitalised, in the correct context. Just as other words have special meaning in certain circumstances and are then capitalised to show that.

As for thinking about each and every word spoken for potential nuanced non-contextual meaning... Asking too much of the average footballer/manager/guy-on-the-street. Politicians and TV presenter should be a lot more aware, (it's their job!) but normal people should be given the occasional pass over genuine faux pas.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Adage that a little knowledge can be dangerous would seem to fit. Of course he maybe on a PPF life coaching course which may explain the hiccup, if so best return the David Irving books back to the owner.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Who appointed you leader, or is a self appointment?

I started the thread :shrug:

You could change it to 'what I had for breakfast' but that would look a bit....odd. :bigwave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here