Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who's going to get relegated?

Jim in the West

NSC Patreon
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
No poll.....just idly looking at the foot of the Premier League, now we are basically one quarter of the way through the season.
Norwich are virtually down already...assuming 38 points to stay up, they need an average of 1.25 pts/game already (that's equivalent to 47 points over the season).
Burnley look like they're in trouble (but they had a similar start last season).
In normal times you'd say Newcastle were second favourites for the drop, but logically they will spend big on some decent loans in January, and get a manager who can organise them sufficiently to stay up.
Watford looked another prime candidate, but beating Everton on Saturday indicates that Ranieri could be working his magic!

So is it Leeds and/or Southampton? I'd like to include Palace, but from what I've seen and heard they have adapted really well to the Viera era, and look like they will be comfortably mid-table.

This season looks like a much more interesting relegation battle (which hopefully we will avoid). Compare to last season....after 9 games, the bottom three was already virtually sewn up.

Blackbushe Pilot

Mar 28, 2004
Egham Surrey
Bottom 3 for me.

Norwich - done already

Watford - 1 swallow doesn’t make a summer.

Burnley - don’t have the cash to buy there way out of trouble this year and the squad depth is poor / very lite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Norwich, Burnley and Man Utd……… said he, mischievously

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patreon
Aug 24, 2020
Bottom 3 for me.

Norwich - done already

Burnley - don’t have the cash to buy there way out of trouble this year and the squad depth is poor / very lite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I would agree with that.

However, I'd be interested to find out what happened at Everton v Watford. Was it a new manager bounce, or is Ranieri a genius, spotting a weakness in the Everton set up, and as they tired, he played on it in the last 20 minutes?

As for Newcastle, I'm not sure they have the time to bed in many galacticos into the team. I suspect they will escape, but only just.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Norwich plus 2 from Watford, Southampton, Burnley or Palace.
Watford and Southampton look like teams that will win or lose, depends how often they fluke a win.
Burnley and Palace look like teams that will constantly draw their way into the mire.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I agree with the OP's summary. The only other two I think could be dragged into the mix are Brentford and Villa, both of whom will want to be getting some more points on the board soon.

The Newcastle scenario is fascinating as they currently look very weak and will be desperate to limit the damage before the cavalry arrive in January.
I can envisage Newcastle having possibly only about 12 points with 15 games to go. Their back to back games against Norwich and Burnley in the first week of December will be pivotal. Although realistically, getting a new manager and signing two or three top players in January should dig Newcastle out.

If we can stay out of trouble it's going to be fun watching the bunfight unfold.

Screenshot 2021-10-25 at 09.11.00.png

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
premgw9.JPG

Hard to see Newcastle not spending their way to safety in January with loans but above the bottom three anyone could put a few results together and anyone could slide backwards. Leeds need a win I think to give them a little confidence or the season could run away from them, but I think Southampton are the team most likely. Can't see them stringing results together and could easily see them going ten without a win. I think this is the season Burnley don't turn it around in time unless Watford save them.

Southampton
Burnley
Norwich

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bottom 3 for me.

Norwich - done already

Burnley don't have much cash, but they look to have just spent £15M rather well, judging by his goals this weekend.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Norwich, Watford and Newcastle. Burnley will never get relegated from the Premier League; they’re like cockroaches.

Happy Exile

NSC Patreon
Apr 19, 2018
What I'd like is Steve Bruce to Norwich, turning around their season and saving them while Newcastle go down with Watford and Burnley.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here