Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] David Beckham, $150 million, Qatar

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Maybe he wants to break into management? :lolol:

Unlikely, not many easy photo opportunities as a manager, you can't change your haircut or get a new tattoo to inspire the players.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
.... and Inter Miami didn't automatically qualify for the World Cup? Sepp Blatter would say that Beckham could have bend himself a better deal.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Wow what a way to make $150 million.

$23,000 for each death of the 6,500 migrant workers killed from the World Cup construction.

Resign from your job at UNICEF ****.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Easy to be critical but I bet most on here would struggle to turn down $150 million if it was offered to them!

Actually, if I was already a multimillionaire, like he is…..and for that role…..I definitely would turn it down.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
But refusing to look at a link because it leads to a perfetly factual and balanced story that just happens be in the Daily Fail (someine's found the link for you; you don't have to buy the paper, let alone read the whole of the paper or lap up the editorials) is exactly the same bias, stereotyping and narrow mindedness which keeps other factions trumpetng their virtual signaling by not readng The Guardian or the New Statesman.
Two lots of opposed closed minds, all of them bissfully believing that only the other side is the one with closed minds - bigots vs. bigots.

Right, good that you have focussed in on the real issue here.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
F9898EB6-FA18-4CFD-B4E1-F39004DF6EC6.jpeg

That 150 million has made him feel better :rolleyes:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
People often attack the British for building people up and knocking them down when they become successful.

I disagree with that. I think we are mostly suspicious of celebrities who "dehumanise" themselves to the level of a "brand" and often rope their family in to do so.

The other examples being Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsey. All have been incredibly successful in their respective careers and have earnt their dosh, but I find the exposure and promotion of the rest of the clan (like DVD extras) a bit strange.

I expect the model is our Royal Family, but it isn't as if they chose to do so.

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I'm genuinely surprised by this move, I would have thought Beckham would have been a massive improvement on the pundits on Sky Sports. His huge experience of the game would have made for fascinating listening, you know.

maybe, it would help if could form a sentence

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
People often attack the British for building people up and knocking them down when they become successful.

I disagree with that. I think we are mostly suspicious of celebrities who "dehumanise" themselves to the level of a "brand" and often rope their family in to do so.

The other examples being Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsey. All have been incredibly successful in their respective careers and have earnt their dosh, but I find the exposure and promotion of the rest of the clan (like DVD extras) a bit strange.

I expect the model is our Royal Family, but it isn't as if they chose to do so.
See also, Strawbridge D. Escape to the Chateau. He seems to have completely cast off his previous family with whom he used to circle the UK doing charitable deeds on daytime TV?

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Good on him, he should have been knighted a long time ago. If someone offered me that sort of money, I'd work for any of the Emirates and China. Business is business.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
That's a strange post.

I don't know of any conservative poster boasting that they don't read the Grauniad or New Statesman.

I certainly know one or two conservative posters who wouldn't wipe their arse with the newspaper that spent the 30s supporting Hitler and, in the last few decades, has mocked young women who are 'overweight', sneered at Mo Mowlem's appearance (when she was taking chemo and dying of cancer), and countless other drip drip drip nastiness. Ignorant, prejudiced and vile. Not 'balanced' by the grauniad on 'the left' at all.

But if the Mail is your newspaper of choice that fine by me :shrug:

Indeed, the correct equivalent would be a left winger who would refuse to read a story in The Times or Telegraph which I've never heard anyone say(other than because you've got to pay to read them)

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Indeed, the correct equivalent would be a left winger who would refuse to read a story in The Times or Telegraph which I've never heard anyone say(other than because you've got to pay to read them)

I refuse to read Quentin Letts' articles.

Because he's an absolute ****-headed bellend with an abandoned wasps nest where his brain should be.

I did stop getting it for a while but I like Mike Atherton's cricket writing :shrug:. I might not bother with it once the offer I'm on at the moment expires.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Mockney is a much misused word. I've seen it applied to Jamie Oliver as well as Beckham.

For those in doubt -

mockney
/ˈmɒkni/
nounINFORMAL•BRITISH
a form of speech regarded as an affected imitation of cockney in accent and vocabulary.

It doesn't apply to people like Beckham and Oliver who come from working class backgrounds in east London/Essex. It applies to people like Guy Ritchie and Mick Jagger who have picked up a strange accent along the way.

Mick Jagger has a pure North West Kent working-class accent which he hasn't seen fit to iron out. Good on him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Easy to be critical but I bet most on here would struggle to turn down $150 million if it was offered to them!

If I was in Beckham's position of having more money than I could ever possibly spend I could easily turn it down. It's just greed and selling his soul to the highest bidder.

I would love to say I'm surprised. But it's Beckham, so I'm not.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

My late dad, who never voted anything but Labour his entire life used to read the Daily Mail. When, as a youngster, I tackled him about why he was reading the Mail he said "Son, it's always important to keep up with what the opposition are thinking and doing". He had a point!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here