Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] What's the easiest way to attain EU residency?

Dec 29, 2011
In terms of studying, working, investing etc what's the cheapest and quickest way to gain residency of an EU member state? Assuming no family ties unfortunately.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Get a job there.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Easiest way is to have an Irish grandparent and apply for Irish citizenship by foreign birth. Then you can get an Irish passport and you have the right to residence anywhere in the EU. If that is not possible then you need, generally, around 10,000 euros in the bank and a guaranteed income of around 1300 euros per month, either through employment or pension. These are the figures for Portugal and may be lower in Eastern Europe but higher in Western Europe. Another option is to get a firm job offer from an EU-based company.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Yep, Mum born in Dublin so got me a Paddy Passport. Very lucky boy me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Delorean?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
In terms of studying, working, investing etc what's the cheapest and quickest way to gain residency of an EU member state? Assuming no family ties unfortunately.

Why do you ask? Are you planning to work or study in a particular country?

I've got permanent residency in Spain but that solely permits me to reside and work here. If I were to leave for a period of 5 years, my rights would be rescinded.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Italy allows you to get citizenship if you can prove a bloodline ("jure sanguinis") back to an Italian citizen at anytime after Italy was formed in 1861. None of the descendants should have renounced Italian citizenship.
I can prove it as my great great grandfather was Italian but it would cost a couple of grand or more to get all the certificates and I'm not sure I want/need it that much.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Italy allows you to get citizenship if you can prove a bloodline ("jure sanguinis") back to an Italian citizen at anytime after Italy was formed in 1861. None of the descendants should have renounced Italian citizenship.
I can prove it as my great great grandfather was Italian but it would cost a couple of grand or more to get all the certificates and I'm not sure I want/need it that much.

Getting residency would be much easier than getting citizenship though.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
You need time or money.

Ireland is a good route in as UK citizens can still work there automatically ( but you don't then get EU citizen rights to move elsewhere ). So you'll need to get a job there, live there and try to eventually get citizenship.

You'll need £20K - £25K or so CASH in the bank ( money tied up in property won't count ) to get a Spanish residency I think I read a while back. If you have children you'll need an additional ( lesser ) amount for each of them.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Buy a property in Cyprus worth 2 million euro.
As a UK citizen you have the right to live in Ireland, and apply for naturalisation or permanent residency after a period.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Indeed having any connection to Ireland helps. Its kind of ironic that for the last couple of hundred years the Irish have suffered ( mostly because of us ) but now they have got ahead of us economically, socially and politically.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here