Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Did you think "WTF?" when we took off our only striker and replaced him with Mwepu?

Did you think "WTF?" when we took off our only striker and replaced him with Mwepu?

• Yep - I thought Potter had lost it

Votes: 23 24.2%
  • No - Potter works in mysterious ways

Votes: 72 75.8%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Did you think "WTF?" when we took off our only striker and replaced him with Mwepu?

Not the most conventional of moves when three down, right?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I looked and thought - makes sense as he has shoved Moder up front so at least we have some height. Then looked again and realised it was March.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
No as Trossard and March played up front and Mwepu as attacking midfielder

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I wondered what his plan was, but as Maupay had been rendered ineffective I could see that a different approach was needed. Albion did well at that point.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maupay wasn't getting any joy, completely isolated up front first half and only player in the box second half. He was far more likely to not score than score. Why NOT try something new? Inject some new enthusiasm? The game was long gone by then anyway

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No it was a fair enough decision right up to the moment he was replaced by March.

That's the WTF moment than nobody will be able to explain.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
He found a way to be higher up the pitch. What we needed. I would say potter won the 2nd half tactical battle. Shame he was battered in the 1st half one

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think I initially thought, what? We're gonig with no strikers?! What sort of team would oh wait, we're playing man city who famously don't play with a striker at the moment. Guess we can't complain about lack of strikers today. Does seem odd Connolly still can't get on.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
I assumed it was to protect Maupay.. would be gutting to lose him to injury in the last 20/30 mins of a game we have next to no chance of getting points from.

But it is strange that Connolly can't get any minutes, although Mwepu looked really bright when he came on.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Not the most conventional of moves when three down, right?

No, I didn't think WTF?

It was more like 'Eh? What's he up to?', which is kind of like 'WTF' but without the confidence or ability to work out what Potter was up to.

As things turned out, we won the second half 1-1, so his decision was vindicated.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
No. I was still too pissed off that Potter thought changing the defence by taking out our best central defender this season was a good idea against City. As mistake after mistake led to goals, I just slumped further back in to my seat.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No, because Maupay was completely ineffective, received no service and didn’t even contribute defensively. Thought Mwepu did well and we offered more of a threat.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I thought WTF at the high line inexplicably played to let West Ham counter for fun. Trying something new up front when Maupay had barely had a touch made more sense.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not to me. Connolly against Kyle Walker, or any of their defence? Men against boys...

Walker on a yellow card with pace (or at least willingness to run at defence) supposedly being one of Connolly's strengths. I think 'odd' was perhaps the wrong word. Some people have noted his staying and Zeqiri going as somehow indicative of Potter thinking he can get something out of Connolly, meanwhile you have reports of tantrums in training, as well as reports of behaviour issues away from the field. With loans and injuries we're down to just Maupay, Locadia and Connolly. With no locadia in the squad, Maupay is taken off and connolly stays on the bench. Perhaps 'notable' or 'interesting' would be better words.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here