Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who was the first Albion player you met?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Junior McDougal. Beat that.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
As a 16 year old, I met Peter Ward on the train coming back from the 1979 Newcastle promotion game... we were sat in the first carriage behind the players, they had an old school compartment 1st Class carriage and we chatted briefly as we both queued for the WC... I am only 5ft 8in ... I noted that he was roughly the same height, which actually surprised me at the time.

He was a little bit merry.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
Which one?
There were two. Apparently.

brighton-hove-albion-mayo-G6FR0P.jpg

He was a coach for an indoor tournament at the King Alfred about 20 years ago, involving all the brighton boys lads which I was a part of.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Roy Jennings. Who was very terse and wouldn't give an autograph....

Somewhere in the miscellaneous junk, things I can't bear to discard (not pizza boxes:lolol:) I have a little blue book with Roy Jennings autograph in it. On a rainy day (not had one since April, but I live in hope) I'll dig it out and put it on here. Speaking of such I'm sure I did that some 10/12 years ago before moving to Spain.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
First time I came face-to-face with Brighton players was when I was a guest of the sponsors for the infamous Darlington match at the Goldstone. With the fans outside trying to break the doors down, we were ushered from the sponsors lounge down various corridors to get out, squeezing past a shocked looking Nicky Rust and Peter Smith on the way.

First I spoke to was Nathan Jones in a pub garden somewhere near Withdean on a sunny evening in September 2000. I'd just arrived back from Borneo on a train, saw a group with Albion clothing and asked them what the score was in the game that day. 6-2 was the reply, and he scored twice! (pointing at Jones). Took a while to recognise him from his pics in the Argus, but thankfully remembered and wished him good luck at the Albion :)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Kit Napier was the first one I remember. He was watching the Sunday morning football in Preston Park.

Later on, Andy Rollings was another one - he and his wife used to run the cafe, again in Preston Park.

To look up former players, take a look at this website I came across:

https://www.where-are-they-now.co.uk/

Select Brighton and you get a list of many former players, most of whom have disappeared without a trace (e.g. Warren Aspinall, Martin Keown etc)

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Nicky Forster and Michel Kuipers, although I once grabbed Kurt Nogan after he celebrated a goal in front of the North Stand, if that counts?

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
Eddie Spearritt in the bar on the train back from Walsall, most of the team were in there but it was Eddie that I chatted to. The Southampton team were also in there on their way back from Stoke. Sothampton had a coach to take them from Euston to Waterloo but our lot had to go to Victoria on the tube.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Finally I've got one.

But as it's some 10 years after my first game I'm struggling to think Doug Rougvie in a supermarket is my first.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Jimmy Collins.
I think he was working behind the bar in a pub not far from the Goldstone.
It was a long time ago.
Also met John Templeman on several occasions in Bognor.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Tony Burns came over to talk to us when we went to watch pre season training at the Greyhound Stadium.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Can't remember but i do remember meeting Frank Worthington in a nightclub somewhere in Sussex called the Sheffield something or other, it was the only decent place open on a Wednesday night, like any true fan i bored him to death with questions about football until i actually hit upon something he was actually interested in, i introduced him to my at that time girlfriend, he soon perked up :lolol:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Can't remember but i do remember meeting Frank Worthington in a nightclub somewhere in Sussex called the Sheffield something or other, it was the only decent place open on a Wednesday night, like any true fan i bored him to death with questions about football until i actually hit upon something he was actually interested in, i introduced him to my at that time girlfriend, he soon perked up :lolol:

I "met" Frank Worthington at the Goldstone, he was standing at the next urinal to me in the old West Stand toilets, fag hanging out of his mouth lol.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here