Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Assisted Dying

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59009053

Didn't realise Frank Field was terminally ill. Very sad for a very decent man, hope he goes peacefully.

Having seen the miserable state my Aunt was in when she eventually died of cancer I am all for Assisted Dying.

We seem to be able to prolong peoples lives with no prospect of recovery, while not asking them if they want to stay alive any longer?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Sad, emotive and highly controversial subject.

Folk say we are kinder to our pets than our own kind when it comes to euthanasia - trouble is, very few pets leave money in their will ....

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I agree with the idea in principle, but it would need rock solid safeguards. If this can't be provided then better not to allow it

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
I think it's something a compassionate and forward thinking society should be able to do.

It's perfectly possible to safeguard it with medical professionals and a solicitor/judge.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I agree with the idea in principle, but it would need rock solid safeguards. If this can't be provided then better not to allow it

in principle it sounds all well and good, and i for one have always said a trip to Holland seems a good way out.

however, my concern is that it could open up Pandora’s box. How long until it’s deemed a special circumstance that AN Other is given special permission to make the decision for you …

a slippery old slope. Of course we would all be reassured at the outset that such ‘extras’ could never happen, but we all know what happens when the thin edge of the wedge gets leant on a bit heavy.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Write an Advanced Decision and review it every couple of years. My family and health professionals know my wishes if I’m incapacitated physically or mentally. The best safeguard is for key people to know what YOU want. It’s even more maddening that terminally ill people have to die months before they need to just so they can get on a plane to Switzerland (unaided) so removing the likelihood of post-death litigation; that’s ****ing barbaric!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My father was passionately against it for as long as I can remember. He remained of the same opinion after his diagnosis of terminal liver cancer. I hold a different view, not least as a consequence of having witnessed the last 4 months of his life.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dont think it even needs to be limited to terminally ill. seeing deterioration of grandparents, wouldnt want to live like that.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As someone that recently lost his father to blood cancer I'm all for it. After the diagnosis Dad even said he'd like to be able to slip without of the pain etc at a time of his choosing. I personally think it's selfish not to allow people to end their suffering at a point of their choosing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sad, emotive and highly controversial subject.

Folk say we are kinder to our pets than our own kind when it comes to euthanasia - trouble is, very few pets leave money in their will ....

Yep, absolute can of worms in so many cases I’d suggest. Too many money grubbing ******** in my experience. I’ve experience of too many people basically stealing from their parents and relatives to be totally comfortable with it. Although I’d like to think my kids are better than that.

It’s a tough one as in so many ways it’s a good and kind idea.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My father was passionately against it for as long as I can remember. He remained of the same opinion after his diagnosis of terminal liver cancer. I hold a different view, not least as a consequence of having witnessed the last 4 months of his life.

Likewise - having watched my (much younger) sister endure what turned into several weeks of ‘living but not living’ with zero chance of recovery and absolutely zero quality of life I’m 100% for it, as she was. I also don’t mind there being people passionately against it - would be complete personal choice of course so their views shouldn’t impact those that wish to make the decision. There should be the option for those that choose it.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
in principle it sounds all well and good, and i for one have always said a trip to Holland seems a good way out.

however, my concern is that it could open up Pandora’s box. How long until it’s deemed a special circumstance that AN Other is given special permission to make the decision for you …

a slippery old slope. Of course we would all be reassured at the outset that such ‘extras’ could never happen, but we all know what happens when the thin edge of the wedge gets leant on a bit heavy.

I tend to agree with you.

I see it a bit like VAR. Once you introduce it, you'll never be able to get rid of it, no matter how undesirable the outcomes are

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59009053

Didn't realise Frank Field was terminally ill. Very sad for a very decent man, hope he goes peacefully.

Having seen the miserable state my Aunt was in when she eventually died of cancer I am all for Assisted Dying.

We seem to be able to prolong peoples lives with no prospect of recovery, while not asking them if they want to stay alive any longer?

Neither did I.

A legend of a parliamentarian, he’s always fought for social justice …. with some charm, an expert on benefits and pensions and a conciliator (we could do with more of that). Love people like him in public life.

People in chronic pain and suffering should have a big say in when they pass, with safeguards.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
You have no choice about how, when and where you come into the world - that should not be the case when you leave it

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

It is a bit of a slippery slope.

The idea isnt bad, but I dont want a development such as in the Netherlands where someone got his death assisted due to alcoholism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here