[Misc] Bizarre statements from suppliers/providers

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
A starter for 10…

I received an invitation for a third Covid jab. I booked an appointment, but have not yet had it. Later, I received an invite for a flu jab. I wanted to combine the two into one visit to the GP. My partner had an appointment at the GP this morning, so I went with her to try to arrange the foregoing.

Me: “I’d like to have the flu jab at the same time as my Covid booster on 31 Oct. OK?”
Receptionist: “Sorry. I can’t add a flu jab to the Covid appointment”.
Me: “Oh. OK, can I please book a flu jab then?”
Receptionist: “13 Nov?”
Me: “Yep”. I turned to walk away.
Receptionist: “would you like your Covid booster at the same time so that you only have to make one trip?”
Me: “Umm, I thought you said you couldn’t do that?”
Receptionist: “No, I said that I can’t add a flu jab to a Covid appointment”
Me: “but you can add a Covid jab to a flu jab appointment?”
Receptionist: “Yes”
Me: “But…oh never mind, yes please”

To make matters even more confusing, my Mum had her covid booster last week (same GP practice) and the nurse said “while you’re here, would you like the flu jab now? It’ll save you having to come back”.

Edit: to clear up the confusion recorded below... it was nothing to do with not being able to add a flu jab to the specific appointment on 31 Oct; it's that they can't add a flu jab to ANY Covid jab, but they can do it the other way round

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
made sense to me - they cant arrange a flu jab for the 31 Oct.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
'Yes we know there is a global pandemic that is affected manufacturing of chipsets, yes we are a technology vendor ourselves and have the same issues, yes we know you are advising of a 14 week lead time in your weekly report to us but we REALLY need this product delivered to us by 31st December.'

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Glad it's not just me who can't spot the "bizarre" element

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The OP is spot on*. The software will have been set up that you can add a covid jab to a flu jab, but not the otherway round.

Incidentally I booked my covid jab by asking the receptionist to book me in during a visit for something else. Unlike jabs 1 and 2 it will be in town and not 80 miles away (previously the initial booking was 'as the crows fly' - across the Thames in Essex :facepalm:).

I'm happy enough, but I have the wherewithall to navigate my way round all this. I pity the infirm, carless, and frightened older person, however.

*Edited for accuracy.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yeh I get it - computer lead people of this generation rather than the common sense approach. Typical.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
A few years' ago, I was looking for a new car. I wanted a compact SUV. I'm not very "cary" so my criteria for the new car was simple - it had to be silver in colour.
I went to the Hyundai garage in Portslade.
Upon entering on to the forecourt, I was approached by a salesman.
Him. "Good afternoon Sir. Can I help?"
Me. "Yes. I'm looking for a new Hyundai x35. It has to be silver".
Him. "Ah, you're in luck. We have four of them parked around the back!"
I was lead to the rear of the premises where he pointed out four brand new Hyundai x35's.
Him. "There we are. We have two black ones and two white ones."
Me, faceciously. "Are any of them silver?"
Him. "No."
Me. "Forget it then." Bye!

SAC

May 21, 2014
Only have both jabs at the same time if you can sleep on your front or back. By having one in each arm, it can be painful to sleep on either side.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
computer-says-no.jpg

Well someone had to

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
A starter for 10…

I received an invitation for a third Covid jab. I booked an appointment, but have not yet had it. Later, I received an invite for a flu jab. I wanted to combine the two into one visit to the GP. My partner had an appointment at the GP this morning, so I went with her to try to arrange the foregoing.

Me: “I’d like to have the flu jab at the same time as my Covid booster on 31 Oct. OK?”
Receptionist: “Sorry. I can’t add a flu jab to the Covid appointment”.
Me: “Oh. OK, can I please book a flu jab then?”
Receptionist: “13 Nov?”
Me: “Yep”. I turned to walk away.
Receptionist: “would you like your Covid booster at the same time so that you only have to make one trip?”
Me: “Umm, I thought you said you couldn’t do that?”
Receptionist: “No, I said that I can’t add a flu jab to a Covid appointment”
Me: “but you can add a Covid jab to a flu jab appointment?”
Receptionist: “Yes”
Me: “But…oh never mind, yes please”

To make matters even more confusing, my Mum had her covid booster last week (same GP practice) and the nurse said “while you’re here, would you like the flu jab now? It’ll save you having to come back”.

Edit: to clear up the confusion recorded below... it was nothing to do with not being able to add a flu jab to the specific appointment on 31 Oct; it's that they can't add a flu jab to ANY Covid jab, but they can do it the other way round

I had my annual check up with the Nurse yesterday and as always she gave me my flu jab while I was there. I asked if she could give me my booster jab at the same time as I had had my invitation letter. Which I took with me in case she wanted to see it.

I told her that when I tried to book on line the nearest place I was offered was Churchill Square (I live in Worthing), and as I was there it would be sensible to have it then she then went on to tell me they didn't have any vaccine at the surgery.

I have a friend who had her booster there a couple of weeks ago (not her surgery) and I mentioned that, she was still adamant they didn't have any booster jabs.

I went to reception on my way out who informed me that they do have booster clinics but couldn't book me a place and gave me a number to call to book it. I rang the number as soon I got home, unsurprisingly it was 30 mins before I managed to speak to someone. The operator then advised me there were no clinics at my surgery but I could go to the Charmaine Centre (a 15min drive away). At this stage I had lost the will to live and gave up trying to have it at my local surgery (5 min walk) and I have booked it for next Thursday at the Charmaine Centre.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Nah, it's not that. I left out that part of the conversation. They can't add a flu jab to ANY Covid appointment.

far enough, explicit detail to miss out. i was drawn to the completely different date.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Really? I wasn't aware of that. :shrug:

It was probably a long time ago.

Apologies if I'm mixing you up with someone else. The old brain isn't what it was.

(Well, actually, that's not true, sadly; it was never up to much in some respects :lolol: :thumbsup:)

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A few years' ago, I was looking for a new car. I wanted a compact SUV. I'm not very "cary" so my criteria for the new car was simple - it had to be silver in colour.
I went to the Hyundai garage in Portslade.
Upon entering on to the forecourt, I was approached by a salesman.
Him. "Good afternoon Sir. Can I help?"
Me. "Yes. I'm looking for a new Hyundai x35. It has to be silver".
Him. "Ah, you're in luck. We have four of them parked around the back!"
I was lead to the rear of the premises where he pointed out four brand new Hyundai x35's.
Him. "There we are. We have two black ones and two white ones."
Me, faceciously. "Are any of them silver?"
Him. "No."
Me. "Forget it then." Bye!

God.

I was hoping for a killer punchline.

That's worse than the classic 'master of sarcasm and wit' gag???

A better finish would have been:

Him: "All of them", he said, squinting at me through his absurdly crossed eyes.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I mentioned in the Vaccine Thread that I had the Covid Booster and Flu jabs last Sunday at my GP's Surgery. In view of points raised here, I wish to clarify that my appointment was for the Covid Booster only. When I arrived I asked the Nurse performing the procedure if I could also have the Flu jab to which she agreed. Perhaps this is the way for others to proceed?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
In a similar vein, I heard today on the radio that a 3rd covid jab and a covid booster jab are not the same thing, yet not all relevant parties seem to know this, some GP surgerys advising patients to book a 3rd jab through 119, and 119 saying they can only book boosters, not 3rd jabs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here