Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Spreading butter and margarine.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This may seem an odd thing to ask the good folks of NSC, but where better can one ask a simple question and get flamed in a light hearted way.

Now for nearly a year now, I have noticed that when making sandwiches I struggle with the butter or margarine right from the get go of scooping it out, not only does it just now seem to just slide off the knife hitting the counter or floor, but I have difficulty spreading it to my satisfaction, it is uneven and I feel it extra slippery, I just don't know what is wrong, I fear it is old age as I do not seem to recall this problem a few years ago. The butter just does not spread evenly across the bread anymore.

Do they now put extra slippery stuff in butter and margarine ?

Or should I just take myself down the day centre or go to a quite wood and just hang myself, as it nothing more than old age (52) and it is just one long slippery slope from here on in ?

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Try using a spoon?
Lift it out of the container carefully, tip it onto the bread, and spread it with the back of the spoon?

Alternatively, just hold the tub over the bread, flip the tub over and let the heat of your hands soften the contents so that the whole lump falls onto the bread. Add your sandwich filling, put another piece of bread on top (unless you are going for a fancy 'continental' open sandwich), and away you go.

You will need very, very thick bread for the second approach to work well - and perhaps put your cardiologist on speed dial on your phone?

Happy to have been of service :)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
What about drizzling Garlic infused extra virgin oil on your bruschetta?

chiedendo per un amico

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
unnamed.jpg

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Unevenly spread butter?? You're just playing at it.

It's when you step out of the house with one shoe on and one slipper on, that you know you're approaching the finishing line.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
F**kin hell wot is this shite.

We've got our biggest game EVER, tomorrow.
This is a Brighton forum.
To talk about Brighton.
And we've got 'I now can't spread margarine on my arse'.

It makes my pi$$ boil.

Keep up the good work.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
F**kin hell wot is this shite.

We've got our biggest game EVER, tomorrow.
This is a Brighton forum.
To talk about Brighton.
And we've got 'I now can't spread margarine on my arse'.

It makes my pi$$ boil.

Keep up the good work.

I Can't Believe (1) you're being an Anchor (2) about this, it would be Utterly (3) brilliant and we'll all be in Clover (4) if we win. We don't know what's Lurpaking (4½) around the corner.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Leave the butter out of the fridge for half and hour to an hour before using, this is what I do before making a sandwich.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Do they now put extra slippery stuff in butter and margarine ?

If you are using spreadable butter, then yes they do, as it includes rapeseed oil to enable you to spread straight from the fridge.

Although of being of a certain age, I would have thought that when most homes only had larders rather than fridges you would have been a dab hand at spreading butter during the summer months when you could basically just pour it onto bread.

Still this is all far better than trying to spread butter which was rock solid from the fridge, which for me anyway, always seemed to result in a slice of bread that was just hanging together with holes everywhere.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I used to know a girl called Flora.....she used to spread'em:love:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Stainless steel washed in a dishwasher will become very "slippery"; the butter slides off it.
Use a carbon steel or rough it up a bit with a brillo pad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here