Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins killed when Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun on a movie set

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Jesus.
I really like Alec Baldwin. His podcast is superb.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
It's just beyond belief that in this age of incredible CGI and special effects they have to use a gun that can still kill someone.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Tragic

RIP Halyna Hutchins

Will there be a manslaughter charge?
Depends on if the prop was incorrectly prepared. If it was, then it would be negligence on the part of the crew. But it's still horrible and I feel so bad for everyone in this situation.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This is tragic……..absolutely staggered something like this could happen. Why were there live rounds even anywhere near the gun ?
RIP

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This is tragic……..absolutely staggered something like this could happen. Why were there live rounds even anywhere near the gun ?
RIP

Guessing it was perhaps a similar issue to the Brandon Lee incident = not actual live rounds, but something that sort of behaved like it:

"In the scene preceding the fatal scene, the gun was loaded with improperly-made dummy rounds, cartridges from which the special-effects crew had removed the powder charges, so in close-ups the revolver would show normal-looking bullets. However, the crew neglected to remove the primers from the cartridges. At some point before the fatal event, one of the rounds had been fired; although there was no powder charge, the energy from the fired primer was enough to push the bullet into the gun barrel, where it got stuck (a condition known as a squib load). For the fatal scene, which called for the revolver to be fired at Lee from a distance of 3.6–4.5 meters (12–15 ft), the dummy cartridges were replaced with blank rounds, which contained a powder charge and primer, but no bullet, allowing the gun to be fired without the risk of an actual projectile. When the blank round was fired, the bullet lodged in the barrel was propelled forward with almost the same force as if the round were live, and it struck Lee in the abdomen"

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure there were; both articles I've read said loaded with blanks.

Even if that’s the case there must have been a projectile in the barrel or similar………which obviously should have been checked (particularly as there has been an incident on set before). Anyway, probably best I don’t speculate any more, there has been a massive H&S /risk management failing along the line somewhere.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
These tweets are from last November, giving an idea of Halyna's talent. The article in the OP notes she was considered a rising star among cinematographers.

[tweet]1330324159495245824[/tweet]

[tweet]1330325206796300292[/tweet]

[tweet]1330325476041080832[/tweet]

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Even if that’s the case there must have been a projectile in the barrel or similar………which obviously should have been checked (particularly as there has been an incident on set before). Anyway, probably best I don’t speculate any more, there has been a massive H&S /risk management failing along the line somewhere.

Yeah something undoubtedly tragic has happened here, whatever the cause.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] / mods, have we become The Daily Mail? Could we change the title to better reflect the situation?

Diesel

Feb 27, 2020
Such a terrible accident. May this talented young woman rest in peace. I hope that Baldwin has plenty of support around him as this is truly a terrible thing to come to terms with. It’s my understanding that he is a powerful voice of the American anti-gun lobby, hows’s that for a deeply ironic twist of fate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here