Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film As Good As The Book

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
In the Dune thread it was suggested that we have a thread on films that were as good (or better) than the book.

The consensus in that thread was that the David Lynch version of Dune was most definitely not even close to being as good as the book

We all know plenty of film adaptations that are far inferior to the original book, but generally its much harder to find the opposite

So, here it is, what films do you think are better than the book . I don't mean books of the film but the original source material on which a film was based

One that springs to mind for me is the Lord Of The Rings films, the original books are somewhat inconsistent in style, have some strange chapters that don't really fit in with any other part of the narrative (Tom Bombadil), and whilst the film alters several characters, removes some, and changes a few plot lines (and does away with them entirely (scourging of the shire)it is a more cohesive and rounded whole than the books, and despite the multiple false endings (also an issue with the books) does tell the tale pretty well.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
As mentioned elsewhere, 'Being There'

True to the book, both great.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As the thread title say "as good as the book" let's get The Da Vinci Code out of the way. Film and book both steaming :shit:

:moo:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I saw the thread, and immediately thought "Lord of the Rings" (the Peter Jackson version).

Also agree re: Harry Potter.

Here's one to set up a debate: Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. The book was published before the movie was released, but the book itself was adapted from the movie script.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I saw the thread, and immediately thought "Lord of the Rings" (the Peter Jackson version).

Also agree re: Harry Potter.

Here's one to set up a debate: Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. The book was published before the movie was released, but the book itself was adapted from the movie script.

As the OP I would say New Hope doesn't count, as its an adaptation of the film script- not the original source that the film was based on

As for Harry Potter I have to say I am in two minds, the last 4 books (especially Deadly Hallows) were bloated and in dire need of a good editor to tell JKR to cut the crap, but I found the earlier films to be a bit disjointed with a real problem with pacing and the depiction of time progression.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I would say The Prestige. Though, it is one of my favourite films, and I saw the film before reading the book. The film doesn't stick slavishly to the book, completely changing some key aspects.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Cannot agree with the Harry Potter votes.
From the 3rd film onwards, so so much good content is missing in the films.
The books win it for me hands down.

My shout is Forrest Gump.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest . The film comes at it from a different angle but the story is pretty much the same.

Both great.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Goodbye Mr Chips (original 1939 version) Robert Donat and Greer Garson

A small novella, a great, great film.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Cannot agree with the Harry Potter votes.
From the 3rd film onwards, so so much good content is missing in the films.
The books win it for me hands down.

I agree the books are better, and I think the 3rd film is the best. I lalso like films 5-8.

But I think this is perhaps one of the questions to consider with this thread - is it just a question of the film on it's own being good, or does it have to be judged on it's closeness to the books, or how well it works as an adaptation. The screen drafts episode on Stephen King adaptations argued on this point, with one of the drafters not wanting The Shining on the list because as good as a film as it is, it's not a great adaptation of the book (King wrote his own version which was adapted as a TV miniseries because he was so unhappy with Kubrick's version).

The Harry Potter films are perhaps better as films than they as adaptations. (Again, I would still say the books are better even taking them as 'movies' instead of 'adaptations').

My selection above (The Prestige) is probably not close enough to the books to be a good adaptation, but it is a cracking film.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here