Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Dune

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Agreed. I want people to like films, all kinds. We can’t all like the same things and I hope people enjoy what they watch. Especially if it’s something they have been looking forward to. But I don’t want to be accused of not getting it if I happen to not like a film. It’s Dune. It’s a space fantasy, there’s not much to get.

To be clear, I don't think for one minute that you didn't enjoy the film because you lack the intellectual capacity to appreciate it.

I think you accidentally walked into the wrong screening and watched a much more boring 3 hour film about sand without realising.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
To be clear, I don't think for one minute that you didn't enjoy the film because you lack the intellectual capacity to appreciate it.

I think you accidentally walked into the wrong screening and watched a much more boring 3 hour film about sand without realising.

Haha! Could well be!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not sure if that's my comment you're referring to, but to be clear, my criticism of the dream sequences was that they could have been repeated less and it would have made them more effective and the film shorter. As it was it felt like the film was bashing me over the head with it to make sure I couldn't possibly miss that "SHE'S THE ONE HE'S HAVING THE DREAMS ABOUT! LOOK! IT'S HER! HAVE YOU GOT IT YET? THAT'S HER!" which reduced any impact it might have had.

Speaking as somebody who genuinely really enjoyed the film, that's a cop out. You can't ask people to pay full price and spend two hours plus watching a film that doesn't stand up on it's own. It's fine to leave the story hanging to be picked up by the next film, but you can't just dismiss criticism by saying it'll all be worth it once you pay another £10 in a years time (see that Harry Potter film where they spend 2 hours in a tent).
I think I am right in saying that they somehow managed to get three films out of The Hobbit! .... One book!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I find you get this occasionally. Some people really like a film, but it isn't universally loved and rather than accept that different people have different tastes, they dismiss the criticism as somehow invalid. With La La Land, it was "people are jumping on the bandwagon, hating it because it's popular to", with Mother! it was the similar "people just don't understand, it's a biblical allegory!". It is lazy, and imo makes the accuser seem quite fragile - like what you like, you don't need the validation of everyone else liking it, too.

This is so true la la land got universal plaudits and 5 star reviews until it got 7 golden globes out of 7 and then somehow it was sh*t and routinely slagged off as it was popular to do so as especially in this country people do not really like winners. It will always be a 10 from 10 from me. Dune I thought was a great spectacle with Chamolet and Ferguson perfect for their parts. I gave it 88 out of 100

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This is so true la la land got universal plaudits and 5 star reviews until it got 7 golden globes out of 7 and then somehow it was sh*t and routinely slagged off as it was popular to do so as especially in this country people do not really like winners. It will always be a 10 from 10 from me. Dune I thought was a great spectacle with Chamolet and Ferguson perfect for their parts. I gave it 88 out of 100

La La land got a ten from me Uncle. I never saw it at the cinema due to various reasons meaning that i missed it there, when I saw it via Netflix or whatever i gave it a ten, ten minutes... absolute dross.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
La La land got a ten from me Uncle. I never saw it at the cinema due to various reasons meaning that i missed it there, when I saw it via Netflix or whatever i gave it a ten, ten minutes... absolute dross.

Really, you decided it was dross after 10 minutes ? Ok then

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Really, you decided it was dross after 10 minutes ? Ok then

Honest Uncle, I really did not care for the characters, Still, others enjoyed it so its all relative.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Honest Uncle, I really did not care for the characters, Still, others enjoyed it so its all relative.

Fair enough, just cannot see how you can judge a 130 minute film after 10 minutes but no issue, the characters evolve and change that is basically the whole point of the film

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Fair enough, just cannot see how you can judge a 130 minute film after 10 minutes but no issue, the characters evolve and change that is basically the whole point of the film

I just went to You Tube to look at the opening scene where they are all dancing on and around their cars and yes, I really didn't like it...... cn I ask though, what do you think of the latest Bond,Uncle ? I've not seen it yet but hope to do a monday arvo soon.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I just went to You Tube to look at the opening scene where they are all dancing on and around their cars and yes, I really didn't like it...... cn I ask though, what do you think of the latest Bond,Uncle ? I've not seen it yet but hope to do a monday arvo soon.

That scene was just a show stopper start, it was really so far away from the jist of the whole film, deliberately, it is a gritty love story basically

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

I thought the new Bond film was magnificent. Top 5 bond film no doubt

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

You appear to have missed my point.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Sorry repeat

My point was that people disliked La La Land because they didn't like it because it just wasn't to their taste, not because they were jumping on a bandwagon. That there is a trend for people who like something to try to dismiss the opinions of people who don't like it by claiming ulterior reasons (because someone was doing similar claiming people who didn't like Dune didn't get it, or didn't get that it was 'part one'.

Your post starts with 'that's so true' (indicating complete agreement with me) and then tries to make the argument that people who didn't like La La land were only jumping on the bandwagon (which is the opposite of what I was arguing).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That scene was just a show stopper start, it was really so far away from the jist of the whole film, deliberately, it is a gritty love story basically

I'm not really good with musicals at the best of times, I'm still haunted by having to see Starlight Express at a theatre in London. That consisted of people going round and round on roller-skates with a piece of a train as headgear singing songs. I struggle with random groups of people breaking in to spontaneous choreographed songs and dances as it seems absolutely false, try singing Ol Man River on the 08.11 from Worthing to Brighton and see how many other passengers join in.

Thanks for your thoughts on Bond, I think I can get to the cinema Monday and see it all being well, I have heard the bad news as regards Bond's demise, hopefully there is some kind of escape as Daniel Craig has been excellent.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Not too many straight men are going to appreciate LaLa veggie, which is why me and Uncs love it, and I agree about the shite opening sequence but the rest of it is a somewhat different animal. Do not judge on the opening traffic jam. Altogether now: “City of stars, Are you shining just for me?” A visual feast for the mince pies.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not too many straight men are going to appreciate LaLa veggie, which is why me and Uncs love it, and I agree about the shite opening sequence but the rest of it is a somewhat different animal. Do not judge on the opening traffic jam. Altogether now: “City of stars, Are you shining just for me?” A visual feast for the mince pies.

I did go a bit further though... some bloke playing the piano as I recall ? just couldn't connect with the characters, didn't understand and felt no empathy for them. Don't worry, its water under the bridge, I'm never going to sit through it but, hey ho, it's just a film !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here