Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Dune

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Apologies if there is already a dedicated thread, could t find it.

I’m off to see it this afternoon. Never been a fan of the books or the previous attempts at filming them but rather looking forward to this one. The cast has maybe raised it a notch or two?

Either way should be a spectacle on the big screen….

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is this a remake of that overhyped heap of shit film that Sting was in?

If so, why?

Sorry, I’m sure that doesn’t help but the thread title reminded me of what a massive disappointment I found that original film and I am shocked that anyone would think it a good idea to have a go at a remake :shrug:

Look forward to your observations

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset

If so, why?

Sorry, I’m sure that doesn’t help but the thread title reminded me of what a massive disappointment I found that original film :shrug:

yes, and to do it better. Reviews are good so they appear to have done so.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
yes, and to do it better. Reviews are good so perhaps they appear to have done so.

I seem to recall that the early reviews of the last one were excellent too :lolol:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Reviews are very positive, and I've never seen a bad Denis Villeneuve movie. Can't wait. Will be seeing it in Imax format at the weekend.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

If so, why?

Sorry, I’m sure that doesn’t help but the thread title reminded me of what a massive disappointment I found that original film and I am shocked that anyone would think it a good idea to have a go at a remake :shrug:

IMO remakes are only worth doing of the original was a good idea poorly executed. Reviews are great for this one so gonna give it a whirl .
I have a limitless card so if it’s disappointing I’ve lost nought but time.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
The book is amazing, and without it there definitely wouldn't have been a star wars. Well... maybe, I'm sure Lucas would have ripped off someone else instead. But can't wait for the new Dune film. The way Villeneuve directed Blade Runner 2059 makes me have very high hopes for this.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The book is amazing, and without it there definitely wouldn't have been a star wars. Well... maybe, I'm sure Lucas would have ripped off someone else instead. But can't wait for the new Dune film. The way Villeneuve directed Blade Runner 2059 makes me have very high hopes for this.

And Arrival.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Too bad the Jodorowsky one never happened back in the 70s. Orson Welles, Salvador Dali and Nick Nack from The Man With The Golden Gun. Could have been quite something.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Too bad the Jodorowsky one never happened back in the 70s. Orson Welles, Salvador Dali and Nick Nack from The Man With The Golden Gun. Could have been quite something.

It would definitely have been something alright... Whether it would have been recognisable as anything like Dune or not is a different question.

I adored the books, thought the original film was "not great" and never bothered with the TV series, but I have high hopes for this one. The story is so good that if they get it right, it could be superb

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
The first book is up there in my all time top 5 books I've read, took me a while to get into the style of writing, but once I did I was hooked. Can't wait to see the film, but will give it a couple of weeks when the crowds have died down.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

The best song based on Dune. Frank Herbert refused Iron Maiden permission to use the title hence the song being called ' To Tame a Land'.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

If so, why?

Its not a "remake" of the old film. Its a new adaption of the book- a huge difference

The big problem is of course is that this isn't atypical star wars type sci fi -all flash bang wallop but no real plot , check brain in at the ticket office and enjoy the ride, this is a complex story with plots, sub plots, political intrigue and social commentary. It requires a full attention span all the way, and it will need a bit of thought.

The most popular movies over the past decade are basically your Marvel,Star Wars, bullshit and bluster shoot em up, escapist nonsense (nothing wrong with that mind) and I suspect this although visually stunning will not be to the taste of a wide audience who are used to not having to actually concentrate on plot, and dialogue and to actually think about what they are seeing

This will take money, but its not going to be the big blockbuster in the way that Marvel and Star Wars are, as I dont think it will get the repeated viewing and mass young audiences that those other films rely to make the megabucks

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

If so, why?

In much the same way as the Peter Jackson LOTR movies were *not* a "remake" of any of the previous on-screen attempts at doing LOTR, the new Dune is not a remake. It is a new attempt at creating a film based on the book. I would assume the only role the previous film has had is in helping identify what *not* to do.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The David Lynch version was er... what you would expect from a David Lynch version. I was glad I had read the book otherwise it would have totally incomprehensible. Lots of people left the Cinema before the interval. Sting wasn't actually the worst part of it.

Nothing worse than a bad case of Worms...

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Its not a "remake" of the old film. Its a new adaption of the book- a huge difference

The big problem is of course is that this isn't atypical star wars type sci fi -all flash bang wallop but no real plot , check brain in at the ticket office and enjoy the ride, this is a complex story with plots, sub plots, political intrigue and social commentary. It requires a full attention span all the way, and it will need a bit of thought.

The most popular movies over the past decade are basically your Marvel,Star Wars, bullshit and bluster shoot em up, escapist nonsense (nothing wrong with that mind) and I suspect this although visually stunning will not be to the taste of a wide audience who are used to not having to actually concentrate on plot, and dialogue and to actually think about what they are seeing

This will take money, but its not going to be the big blockbuster in the way that Marvel and Star Wars are, as I dont think it will get the repeated viewing and mass young audiences that those other films rely to make the megabucks

Now that makes it sound much more interesting. My all time favourite Sci Fi Film is 2001 A Space Odyssey and I have no time for Star Wars type Sci Fi with shoot 'em up zip zap goodies and baddies films full of special effects. I will sit back and await the reviews :thumbsup:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The David Lynch version was er... what you would expect from a David Lynch version. I was glad I had read the book otherwise it would have totally incomprehensible. Lots of people left the Cinema before the interval. Sting wasn't actually the worst part of it.

Nothing worse than a bad case of Worms...

He'll be pleased with that review.

UStU9Hf.gif

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Now that makes it sound much more interesting. My all time favourite Sci Fi Film is 2001 A Space Odyssey and I have no time for Star Wars type Sci Fi with shoot 'em up zip zap goodies and baddies films full of special effects. I will sit back and await the reviews :thumbsup:

I read the book when i was about 14/15 . It was probably the first "adult" book that I read. I probably didn't understand half of it to be honest, but it made a lasting impression on me and when the David Lynch film was announced I was very excited.

I mostly enjoyed the first film, but was like many others disappointed in the massive amounts of missing material, and I have no idea how anyone could have followed it if they weren't familiar with the original book.

Its been many many years since I read the book, so other than the basic premise I will be viewing this as almost a newbie, I hope I will be blown away , I fear I wont!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here