Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would You Be In Favour Of Mandatory Mask Wearing Again?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
sorry to bring some data into this, but if we look at Wales (masks) they are increasing more than England, while Scotland (also masks) are lower. are we sure masks make the difference?

looking further, we look at age breakdown. we see seconady school is surging, primary schools rising, other age groups flat or declining.

so instead of masks, we should shut the schools?

No, masks don't make THE difference, but they do provide a marginal gain in restricting viral spread.

All marginal gains help to slow things down and mask-wearing is an easy one for most to do.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
sorry to bring some data into this, but if we look at Wales (masks) they are increasing more than England, while Scotland (also masks) are lower. are we sure masks make the difference?

looking further, we look at age breakdown. we see seconady school is surging, primary schools rising, other age groups flat or declining.

Apparently that’s a simpletons argument….interesting that you look beyond the headline..tells a story doesn’t it

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
…and of course by implication that makes me a bad person …like I said same views posted for the last eighteen months

By all means point me in the direction of sound scientific research that demonstrates that mask-wearing INCREASES viral spread.

As ever, I remain open-minded to change.

My "view" is I don't want to pass on a virus that could harm or kill others. Are you saying you do?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
By all means point me in the direction of sound scientific research that demonstrates that mask-wearing INCREASES viral spread.

As ever, I remain open-minded to change.

My "view" is I don't want to pass on a virus that could harm or kill others. Are you saying you do?

Lol..as I said the same views being regurgitated…you are the one saying that not me..on a mission?..open minded I doubt very much

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Still wear mine on public transport and at the supermarket. Always leave the house with one

At gigs though, I tend not to as I regard those as at your own risk environments and people generally do not wear them. I would be in favour of covid passports or test results required for entry though. Even though some would game the system, I suspect the majority would not (particularly my age group) and it would add to the marginal gains achieved over no requirements.

I see these measures as relatively simple to introduce that enable everything to keep open. The rest of Europe seems to be operating like this I do not see why we cannot.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Lol..as I said the same views being regurgitated…you are the one saying that not me..on a mission?..open minded I doubt very much

Please - show me how mask-wearing increases spread.

I will do anything I reasonably can to limit my chances of infecting others.

If not wearing a mask is such a thing, I'll not wear a mask.

I' eagerly await your next post.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
Yes - no problem with a mask at all - most coat pockets have one in by default now

the issue is voluntary v mandatory.......most decent people are polite and will do so if it is the "done thing"

but the big issue is the selfish twats - they need the "law" to be impossed to comply

story as of yesterday :

boss flying to morrocco for work, stanstead airport packed with "chavvy" holiday makers spending thier furlough cash, minimum masks in the airport

fat **** on plane, waving a mask exemption piece of paper, annoying everyone (flight staff acutally move him from fire exit / leg room seat to back of plane as h is so imobile)

same fat **** then freely puts a mask on when he arrives at the crowded morroccan airport to "protect himsel"

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No, masks don't make THE difference, but they do provide a marginal gain in restricting viral spread.

All marginal gains help to slow things down and mask-wearing is an easy one for most to do.

sure, and closing schools would make a much larger marginal gain.

if we are concerned with the rise should focus on major causes not just minor ones because they are easy.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Still wear mine on public transport and at the supermarket. Always leave the house with one

At gigs though, I tend not to as I regard those as at your own risk environments and people generally do not wear them. I would be in favour of covid passports or test results required for entry though. Even though some would game the system, I suspect the majority would not (particularly my age group) and it would add to the marginal gains achieved over no requirements.

I see these measures as relatively simple to introduce that enable everything to keep open. The rest of Europe seems to be operating like this I do not see why we cannot.

Same.

In a gig environment there is no point at all. After we've been to gigs, I think we're just more aware of any symptoms we may have, and LFT test. As it happens, I convinced myself I had become infected after we saw Elbow at the Centre a few weeks ago, but returned negative tests so, presumably, I hadn't.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Yes. I caught the worst cold I can ever remember having on the WSU concourse at the Arsenal game. I knew I should be wearing a mask, but felt a plonker as no-one else was. Lesson learned....

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Please - show me how mask-wearing increases spread.

I will do anything I reasonably can to limit my chances of infecting others.

If not wearing a mask is such a thing, I'll not wear a mask.

I' eagerly await your next post.

Forgive me for not eagerly awaiting your next post as all you seem intent on is a slanging match …I originally posted in reply to this thread and hadn’t linked any of your comments..you clearly don’t like my personal choices…do I care? Nope ….any point in continuing..I can’t see any….but then of course you’ll accuse me of “scuttling off” or being “disappointing” as you have before.

Still it’s your forum..perhaps I should be more gracious …or leave

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016

Trouble with that argument it's like saying kids are only transmitting in school, not at football, gymnastics class, or whatever else they're doing outside of school. Last thing we should be doing is impacting kid's educations again without exploring other options. It would be utterly ridiculous to go to football with 30k people crowded onto various trains, buses, in pubs, restaurants or what have you, while at the same time shutting our schools.

Whether we're sure masks make a difference or not, it is a small inconvenience to wear one compared to alternatives.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
sure, and closing schools would make a much larger marginal gain.

if we are concerned with the rise should focus on major causes not just minor ones because they are easy.

We want to keep schools open for a whole host of reasons that I should not need to explain to anyone.

Both the 12-15 vaccination programme, as well as the third-shot booster programme, seem to have been progressing far slower than is ideal. Once those properly kick in, and reinforce our collective immunity wall, then we'll be in a lot better place than the one we currently might be heading for.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Same.

In a gig environment there is no point at all. After we've been to gigs, I think we're just more aware of any symptoms we may have, and LFT test. As it happens, I convinced myself I had become infected after we saw Elbow at the Centre a few weeks ago, but returned negative tests so, presumably, I hadn't.

Exactly my attitude. Luckily I have been fine after shows so far (vaccine working I guess) and like yourself am very conscious of how I am feeling in the days following. I too would take a test if I felt any symptoms.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just back from France where the rates are much lower than here. Face masks are obligatory inside all public indoor areas. Covid proof QR required to get into a restaurant. I have absolutely no problem with wearing a mask, in fact I won’t go into indoor public areas without one. I’ll also be wearing one apart from in my seat at the Amex on Sunday.

France 4,500 new cases yesterday, England 37,000. WTF, a shitfest is coming.

I still use the gel when I have been anywhere and have booked my Covid booster for Saturday. I still take this shit very seriously :shrug:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The booster can only be given 6 months after the second jab, that’s what I’ve been told. My jabs were February and April so hopefully I’ll be getting mine in the next few weeks.
The immunity from the jabs wears off according to doctors. It seems this virus isn’t a one off like previous pandemics but more endemic like malaria where boosters are going to be a regular thing.

We are due ours in November. I read that there is a bit of a bottleneck at GP surgeries but plentiful supplies of vaccine. There does seem to be slow uptake in older age groups as well as it is no longer a ticket out of lockdown. Good luck !

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes. I caught the worst cold I can ever remember having on the WSU concourse at the Arsenal game. I knew I should be wearing a mask, but felt a plonker as no-one else was. Lesson learned....

How can you pinpoint the precise moment you caught a cold ????

I'm happy to wear a mask in confined settings - travelled a bit on planes and trains recently (mandatory on planes/in airports, 'advised' on trains) and been 'mixing' more. It's really no big deal and even the benefit is marginal (maybe it is, maybe it isn't) it's a very minor inconvenience so I still pop one on moving about in restaurants and when in shops etc.

Quite a number of people seem to be completely ignoring any kind of distancing and mask-wearing now. Bit depressing really - no harm in continuing to be careful.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Forgive me for not eagerly awaiting your next post as all you seem intent on is a slanging match …I originally posted in reply to this thread and hadn’t linked any of your comments..you clearly don’t like my personal choices…do I care? Nope ….any point in continuing..I can’t see any….but then of course you’ll accuse me of “scuttling off” or being “disappointing” as you have before.

Still it’s your forum..perhaps I should be more gracious …or leave

I find your approach to this - someone who seems to be a decent, sensible chap - really strange.

There is a wealth of sound scientific research that makes it clear that wearing a mask can provide a benefit in the reduction of viral spread. That's why I wear one. I don't enjoy wearing one, but the discomfort is at a low enough level that I'm happy to do it.

You choose not to. I'm not saying you are a bad person, but I don't understand.

A number of people can't wear masks for legitimate health reasons - I absolutely get that, but that doesn't seem to be you from what I can tell.

You talk about "no views have changed" but I genuinely don't know what your view is, whereas I've made mine pretty clear I think.

Is it simply that you don't believe masks help in any way at all?

Please help me understand why you won't wear a mask - I'm genuinely interested.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, it should be compulsory in shops, public transport, etc. And it should be enforced, with police instructed to respond to reports from shop-keepers, train and bus operators of someone refusng to mask up. £500 fines mandatory. And no exemptions, unless certified independently by two doctors. Bought a lanyard on e-bay? Sod off!.
The French approach, as someone described it earlier on here, sounds spot on.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here