Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would You Be In Favour Of Mandatory Mask Wearing Again?

SAC

May 21, 2014
I rarely go on public transport but in London this week and was surprised how many people were mask-less on the bus, tube and train (both the bus and tube are supposed to be obligatory).

I've got used to wearing one now although like others have said, it can be a pain with glasses (more so with hearing aids). The disposable ones are easier to wear but leave me feeling guilty about the environment.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hmmm..i haven’t worn one since so called freedom day ..I don’t generally stay in an area for a long length of time where there are a lot of people apart from the Amex I haven’t been in an area for a long period of time where there is a lot of people….cinema on Sunday only about fifty..quite spread out and large venue etc…at the Amex I tend to go up one end of the concourse at HT where it’s not busy ETC….I try to keep a bit of natural distance between me and a person I don’t know……judging by posts I’ve read so far it’s about the same views we’ve all had for the last eighteen months

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I continue to wear a mask inside shops etc and in crowded external public places. I was in Spain recently and this is pretty much the regime they have implemented nationally and the Spanish of all ages seem to have accepted it as the new normal and as a sensible compromise.

Fair number in the crowd at the Athletico Madrid game were maskless

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Mandatory how exactly?

Absolutely agree they need to return on public transport, shops and to a degree in schools but what about pubs, clubs, restaurants. All are indoors and crowded but you simply cannot wear one and consume food and drink. If we go back to table service only and mask wearing to the table I think that's ok personally but it closes nightclubs and restricts capacity in other indoor venues (and probably closes the concessions at the Amex). I think this would be needed to be defined very carefully because people should be wearing them on the concourse now but don't "because they're eating and drinking".

My wife and I went to the pub on Friday evening. The plan was to have a meal outside. Traditional country boozer which we had never visited before. There was no table service so we went into the bar to order, both wearing masks. We were faced with a full, smallish pub with zero mask wearing. Seeing our masks someone made a comment about it being a hold up. My wife had spent the day washing her hands, ensuring social distance and wearing mask and visor in her SEN school and I had been at home. We ordered a drink, went outside to get a table number but decided not to bother with the meal as we didn’t want to return to that bar. Whatever is decided going forwards it would be nice if my wife and I could have the opportunity to enjoy a night out rather than the current situation where this is seemingly reserved for those that think Covid is over.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Wearing a mask is a minor inconvenience relative to its positive effect. We should all do it regardless of what people like Johnson say.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Unfortunately, simpletons will do/say this:

"Country X has enforced the wearing of masks and their cases have gone up. This therefore absolutely proves that masks do not work. Therefore we should not wear them here."

When people operate at that low-level of intelligence, it's almost impossible to reason with them.

Of course it's not proof that masks don't work but it is something to consider. Everyone should know masks work when the correct mask is worn.

You shared an excellent twitter thread this week comparing Scotland, England and Europe, their conclusion was that masks are having the smallest effect of all the NPIs. I'd also hazard a guess that most of the Scots are wearing crappy ill fitting bits of cloth either as a comfort blanket or as visible proof of how much they care about others. In France and Germany you have to have a proper FFP3 mask which must be making a difference.

If everyone wants to reduce infection numbers I'd rather just do it properly and have a 1 week circuit break lockdown. Do it the last week of November and close EVERYTHING. Bring back furlough for whoever wants it, companies can operate a skeleton staff and everyone who can should wfh. Actually police it with road blocks and spot checks.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Of course we should, don't leave it up to clown BoJo and his circus to make a sensible decision about it.
Team mask all the way folks, let's try and look after each other.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Of course it's not proof that masks don't work but it is something to consider. Everyone should know masks work when the correct mask is worn.

You shared an excellent twitter thread this week comparing Scotland, England and Europe, their conclusion was that masks are having the smallest effect of all the NPIs. I'd also hazard a guess that most of the Scots are wearing crappy ill fitting bits of cloth either as a comfort blanket or as visible proof of how much they care about others. In France and Germany you have to have a proper FFP3 mask which must be making a difference.

If everyone wants to reduce infection numbers I'd rather just do it properly and have a 1 week circuit break lockdown. Do it the last week of November and close EVERYTHING. Bring back furlough for whoever wants it, companies can operate a skeleton staff and everyone who can should wfh. Actually police it with road blocks and spot checks.

Yes, do it that week when the Brighton - Three Bridges railway line is shut as well! But that would be too convenient, I suppose ...

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Still have to here in Wales and most do in shops etc. It’s a very minor inconvenience and I’m happy to.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
My grandson is seriously ill in intensive care aged 8 with a side effect of covid (Pims st) in Truro Cornwall . So yes has reinforced my opinion of wearing masks again
Worried sick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
judging by posts I’ve read so far it’s about the same views we’ve all had for the last eighteen months

Well, like most folk on this thread it seems, I've digested enough scientific research to have convinced me that mask-wearing does provide a marginal benefit in the reduction of vial spread.

I want to keep going to football, I want my son to keep going to school, I want pubs and restaurants to be able to keep their doors open. So, in the small number of locations where I am mixing with others indoors, I'll pop a mask on. It costs me nothing, but a very small level of discomfort.

Hopefully, should I become infected and not know, this will minimise the chances of me spreading the virus to others, any of whom could be vulnerable and at risk of a bad outcome from infection. It may help keep someone out of hospital with Covid, freeing up a bed for someone with cancer or any number of non-Covid health concerns.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think we both know that the Government rules out a lot of things only to change its mind when presented with absolutely no choice :) 1 in 60 now has the virus and it’s 1 in 50 up here in the NW. Half of over 80s haven’t bothered with their booster and hospitalizations, deaths and infections are on the rise. Small and cost free measures like mask wearing would have avoided our current situation but people are too stubborn so the cycle continues.I think football may be running at reduced capacities by Christmas.

The booster can only be given 6 months after the second jab, that’s what I’ve been told. My jabs were February and April so hopefully I’ll be getting mine in the next few weeks.
The immunity from the jabs wears off according to doctors. It seems this virus isn’t a one off like previous pandemics but more endemic like malaria where boosters are going to be a regular thing.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sorry to bring some data into this, but if we look at Wales (masks) they are increasing more than England, while Scotland (also masks) are lower. are we sure masks make the difference?

looking further, we look at age breakdown. we see seconady school is surging, primary schools rising, other age groups flat or declining.

so instead of masks, we should shut the schools?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well, like most folk on this thread it seems, I've digested enough scientific research to have convinced me that mask-wearing does provide a marginal benefit in the reduction of vial spread.

I want to keep going to football, I want my son to keep going to school, I want pubs and restaurants to be able to keep their doors open. So, in the small number of locations where I am mixing with others indoors, I'll pop a mask on. It costs me nothing, but a very small level of discomfort.

Hopefully, should I become infected and not know, this will minimise the chances of me spreading the virus to others, any of whom could be vulnerable and at risk of a bad outcome from infection. It may help keep someone out of hospital with Covid, freeing up a bed for someone with cancer or any number of non-Covid health concerns.

…and of course by implication that makes me a bad person …like I said same views posted for the last eighteen months

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My grandson is seriously ill in intensive care aged 8 with a side effect of covid (Pims st) in Truro Cornwall . So yes has reinforced my opinion of wearing masks again
Worried sick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m so sorry and hope he gets well very soon.
My grandson is 17 and caught the virus in August. We were very worried about him at the time because he’d been hospitalised with asthma in the past. He is better now so I really hope your grandson gets well.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Happy with mask wearing, happy with Covid passports for pubs, cafes, restaurants etc.

Went to France for a short break last month and everyone in the town we were in wore masks indoors and out, and a passe sanitaire was required even for pavement cafes. It was absolutely no bother at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here