Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would You Be In Favour Of Mandatory Mask Wearing Again?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Agreed. If the exemptions were only available to those with respiratory conditions on sign off of a doctor.
It's hard enough for ill people to see a doctor as it is. There is no need to waste their time filling in certificates.

Don't forget deaf people. Exemptions are available to anyone talking to a lip reader.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You wont have to wear masks in hospitalitty venues under the new rules and thst makes sense as everyone else who drinks in wetherspoons has natural imunity too from what they tell me so masks �� not needed their

Regards

DF

Hear hear..

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
It's hard enough for ill people to see a doctor as it is. There is no need to waste their time filling in certificates.

Don't forget deaf people. Exemptions are available to anyone talking to a lip reader.

Agree, and obviously not all disabilities are visible, so those not wearing a mask shouldn’t necessarily be challenged or judged.

All it needs is for those that can wear a mask to play ball. Not too much of a hardship, is it?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Despite the new face coverings law (not reg), this time backed by £200 fines, it’s being ignored in the main.

My daughter took a few Brighton bus journeys yesterday, she said barely a mask in sight.

In Halfords and B&Q Lewes Road today the same, a few characters with the ‘hilarious’ chin straps, most not bothering at all. B&Q put a big bloke at the entrance to encourage, but he was ignored or people took them off seconds later.

What really is the point of this criminal law, when not enforced?

A R5 Nicky Campbell phone in this week including a call from a coffee shop owner. Seemed a reasonable bloke, not an anti vaxer, not a government fanboy, he said it was unfair on shop owners or staff to police, he was also clear that the real Police shouldn’t get involved (they should concentrate on bigger crimes). His view was that 50:50 mask wear was a result, let people be.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Despite the new face coverings law (not reg), this time backed by £200 fines, it’s being ignored in the main.

My daughter took a few Brighton bus journeys yesterday, she said barely a mask in sight.

In Halfords and B&Q Lewes Road today the same, a few characters with the ‘hilarious’ chin straps, most not bothering at all. B&Q put a big bloke at the entrance to encourage, but he was ignored or people took them off seconds later.

A R5 Nicky Campbell phone in this week including a call from a coffee shop owner. Seemed a reasonable bloke, not an anti vaxer, not a government fanboy, he said it was unfair on shop owners or staff to police, he was also clear that the real Police shouldn’t get involved (they should concentrate on bigger crimes). His view was that 50:50 mask wear was a result, let people be.

No one is enforcing the 30mph limit on my street, but I don't try to see how fast I can go every time I leave the house in my car.

My experiences, although it's a very small sample size, couldn't be more different to the ones you describe...

Tesco Express North Star on Tuesday. All but one of the 10 or so people in the store were wearing masks. The one who wasn't was called out by the checkout assistant who asked if he knew that masks were a legal requirement again. He claimed he didn't. She told him he will now know for next time.

Tesco Extra in Worthing on Thursday evening and mask-wearing, which had gradually slipped from high observance (c90%+ in July) to c50% last week, was back around 90% again, if not higher. There was one family - mum, dad, 18-y-o-ish daughter who were the most obvious rule-breakers. Again, they were exactly the type of people you'd guess would ignore the rules. I'm not sure considerate social behaviour features highly in their actions generally.

Fish and chip shop Findon on Thursday. All five customers were wearing masks. The staff weren't bothering however.

Tesco Express Findon today. Every customer wearing a mask.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No one is enforcing the 30mph limit on my street, but I don't try to see how fast I can go every time I leave the house in my car.

My experiences, although it's a very small sample size, couldn't be more different to the ones you describe...

Tesco Express North Star on Tuesday. All but one of the 10 or so people in the store were wearing masks. The one who wasn't was called out by the checkout assistant who asked if he knew that masks were a legal requirement again. He claimed he didn't. She told him he will now know for next time.

Tesco Extra in Worthing on Thursday evening and mask-wearing, which had gradually slipped from high observance (c90%+ in July) to c50% last week, was back around 90% again, if not higher. There was one family - mum, dad, 18-y-o-ish daughter who were the most obvious rule-breakers. Again, they were exactly the type of people you'd guess would ignore the rules. I'm not sure considerate social behaviour features highly in their actions generally.

Fish and chip shop Findon on Thursday. All five customers were wearing masks. The staff weren't bothering however.

Tesco Express Findon today. Every customer wearing a mask.

Woodland Drive PO this afternoon. A load of older teens not bothering along with their not bothering mum (great example), and a Russian? lady dressed head to stiletto’s in designer clothing yet couldn’t afford a mask.

In a tiny shop I thought that a little disrespectful to the Sikh shopkeepers, one of whom is not young.

Need to pop in to ASDA Hollingbury tomorrow, that should be revealing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Woodland Drive PO this afternoon. A load of older teens not bothering along with their not bothering mum (great example), and a Russian? lady dressed head to stiletto’s in designer clothing yet couldn’t afford a mask.

In a tiny shop I thought that a little disrespectful to the Sikh shopkeepers, one of whom is not young.

Need to pop in to ASDA Hollingbury tomorrow, that should be revealing.

I'm out and about tomorrow to take care of some dull tasks I've put off, so I'll see how it pans out.

Thus far though, I've been pleasantly surprised how most people have reverted back. I've always firmly believed that most folk are decent and will do the right thing when they need to.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Definitely better up here, but I haven't been to ASDA yet where the compliance was so low even during the dark months I concluded it was clearly the asthmatic supermarket of choice.

Apologies to sufferers of asthma here, it must drive you mad. I live so near a Waitrose I consider them my neighbours, I intervened when asthmatic member staff was abused by a customer for not wearing a mask.

Been on a few trains and it's better too, however I can smell the selfish it's "all about me and **** everyone else" masquerading as "freedom", "liberty" and "individualism" a mile off and they stick out like a thumb. Just like they always did.

If I get abused again for wearing a mask (like I have on a couple of occasions on trains) by feral knob ends, I'll just repeat the same.

I'll be able to take this mask off at some point mate, but you'll never be able to take off your face.

Best done in front of their "friends" who inevitably find it hilarious.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Been on a few trains and it's better too, however I can smell the selfish it's "all about me and **** everyone else" masquerading as "freedom", "liberty" and "individualism" a mile off and they stick out like a thumb. Just like they always did.

Agreed - as this family I observed in Tesco on Thursday night.

On the street you'd pick them out as people who largely don't give a **** about anyone else. And so it transpired.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Definitely better up here, but I haven't been to ASDA yet where the compliance was so low even during the dark months I concluded it was clearly the asthmatic supermarket of choice.

Apologies to sufferers of asthma here, it must drive you mad. I live so near a Waitrose I consider them my neighbours, I intervened when asthmatic member staff was abused by a customer for not wearing a mask.

If I get abused again for wearing a mask (like I have on a couple of occasions on trains) by feral knob ends, I'll just repeat the same.

I'll be able to take this mask off at some point mate, but you'll never be able to take off your face.

Best done in front of their "friends" who inevitably find it hilarious.

Must be something about Waitrose …. the Hove store appears to have had wall to wall mask compliance since the scientists recommended their use. With or without security guards.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Some incredibly selfish people around, just visited our local Co-op and I would say as many as two thirds of people in there didn't have a mask on, despite signs on the doors requesting people to continue wearing masks unless they had an exemption. Not sure what it's like around the country but I thought the people of Lyme Regis were better than that.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Some incredibly selfish people around, just visited our local Co-op and I would say as many as two thirds of people in there didn't have a mask on, despite signs on the doors requesting people to continue wearing masks unless they had an exemption. Not sure what it's like around the country but I thought the people of Lyme Regis were better than that.

Awful isn’t it..oh and I don’t wear one..it’s lovely.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Awful isn’t it..oh and I don’t wear one..it’s lovely.

Naughty me too; I wear one in our tiny bakery shop, but not always in the supermarket and when I make my frequent visit to the coffee shops and cafes of Chichester, mask wearing is a rarity and this applies to both staff and customers. I think many people think what is the point of masking up when queueing, only to take it off when they sit down.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Naughty me too; I wear one in our tiny bakery shop, but not always in the supermarket and when I make my frequent visit to the coffee shops and cafes of Chichester, mask wearing is a rarity and this applies to both staff and customers. I think many people think what is the point of masking up when queueing, only to take it off when they sit down.

I never knew Lyme Regis people were special :moo:

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

You've got to let it go and accept in a large majority of people's minds it's all over. If you don't accept this it will drive you mad. Do what makes you happy and keeps you safe, in your mind, as no-one else will.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012

Oh you poor thing.

In Worthing I cant remember the last time I saw someone wearing a mask.

Time to move on

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here