Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would You Be In Favour Of Mandatory Mask Wearing Again?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
With Covid infection rates beginning to rise once again, and with winter not even upon us yet, it would seem that the Government's much vaunted "double jab our way to freedom" isn't quite working.

Personally l'm alarmed to see that facemasks have been entirely ditched by so many people. If you get on a bus or train now, walk into a shop or supermarket, almost any enclosed space, there are very few masks to be seen.

Even at the Amex, on the crowded concourses, with no social distancing possible, crowds of people standing around in close proximity to each other talking, barely a mask in sight. I was quite shocked by it.

I realise that no one likes wearing a facemask, but l think we were all getting used to it until Boris declared it was only advisory and not compulsory. Surely to put on a mask again is a very small price to pay, if it means helping to bring the spread of the virus back under control again.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's took me far to long to,

A) remember to take a mask out with me.

and

II) get used to wearing a mask.

For me to stop now.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Haven't stopped, so yes I would be.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes. I felt very safe whilst in France for two weeks in September. People wore masks even in outdoor markets as they were passing each other in close proximity between stalls.
Masks indoors and on transport were mandatory.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I've been wearing mine anyway but would absolutely support it, we can't just bury our heads in the sand and pretend it's all going away. It's better to do something we can all do like this rather than risk more drastic and draconian measures down the line.

As for the "but masks don't work" whinges, a cursory glance at the comparative infection rates in mainland Europe (where masks are mandatory) and the UK (where they aren't) tells it's own story.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Masks are a pain but yes of course. Simply in crowded indoor places it should be mandatory. We are too thick to be sensible as anyone who has travelled on a crowded train or been on the concourse at the Amex will testify so it has to be mandated. It really isn't a huge amount to ask and might help ensure we don't have any more lockdowns or empty stadiums.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yes. I completely agree with mask mandates as a condition for entry of any enclosed space (with limited exceptions such as seated in a hospitality venue).

That nobody is wearing them in concourses beggars belief

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Surely to put on a mask again is a very small price to pay, if it means helping to bring the spread of the virus back under control again.

Very much this.
Can't understand why it's still being debated.
Just put them on.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Masks are still required in shops and public transport here despite a higher percentage vaccination rate than the UK's so no problem if they became mandatory.

We are coming to the UK for Christmas and will expect to wear masks.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Yes. Masks are a pain, as a glasses wearer, I never found the elusive solution to fogging up. Hence, I have pretty much stopped wearing masks now.

However, looking at the numbers now, I am amazed the rule didn't come back into place a month ago.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Mandatory how exactly?

Absolutely agree they need to return on public transport, shops and to a degree in schools but what about pubs, clubs, restaurants. All are indoors and crowded but you simply cannot wear one and consume food and drink. If we go back to table service only and mask wearing to the table I think that's ok personally but it closes nightclubs and restricts capacity in other indoor venues (and probably closes the concessions at the Amex). I think this would be needed to be defined very carefully because people should be wearing them on the concourse now but don't "because they're eating and drinking".

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As others above, I still do on the few occasions I need to be indoors with others, such as shops etc, anyway.

It does feel like, once again, we're slow-car-crashing our way back into a bad place so any cheap/free, minor, unobtrusive measures we can take that may help to keep schools open, keep pubs and restaurants open and keep football being played in front of full crowds are worthwhile taking IMO.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
At a pretty busy Dome last evening, I would guess about 10% or so were masked up in the foyer/merch area/bogs.

Less in the arena itself.

This will, and should increase pretty soon imho.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Maybe try a pilot scheme in Scotland - see if it works? :whistle:

Unfortunately, simpletons will do/say this:

"Country X has enforced the wearing of masks and their cases have gone up. This therefore absolutely proves that masks do not work. Therefore we should not wear them here."

When people operate at that low-level of intelligence, it's almost impossible to reason with them.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I've just stocked up on fake Sunflower Lanyards so it's a yes from me.

:whistle:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes. I felt very safe whilst in France for two weeks in September. People wore masks even in outdoor markets as they were passing each other in close proximity between stalls.
Masks indoors and on transport were mandatory.

My neighbours (one half of whom is French) just took two holidays in France. They said the French police enforce their use vigorously. Shopkeepers and others running indoor venues were quick to call the police where stubborn locals refused to wear a mask, who were then unceremoniously booted out and treated in a robust way.

It’s funny thing in the UK - the police never got involved, pussy-footing supermarkets such as Sainsbury’s repeatedly put out on the PA “please respect customers not wearing masks”, supermarket workers rarely wore them, ‘hard men’ and their partners looking for a fight never wore them and what’s with the visors (how do they stop airborne microbes spreading?).

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Never stopped wearing mine, and yes absolutely in favour of it being made mandatory again. Too many numpties out there not wearing masks.

However:

Masks is too simplistic. Was reading a Twitter thread the other day outlining the probable reasons why the case rate in the UK is so much higher than other nations currently, and in order of importance it came down to:

1. Widespread unrestricted mass gatherings at events, in particular indoors.
2. Waning protection for those who received AZ vaccines during the early vaccination push coupled with a very slow rollout of boosters.
3. Low rate of mask wearing.

Ultimately, while mandating mask wearing again would help it's far more important to accelerate the booster program (esp. for those who had AZ early on). Boris is never going to address #1 from that list IMO, so he must address #2 and #3 ASAP to avoid a repeat of last year's Christmas disaster.

Israel is the other country that got out of the blocks quickly with vaccination (even quicker than us). They're a few weeks ahead of us and are seeing the same issue as us: waning protection from early vaccinations leading to "breakthrough" infection rates steadily rising.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yes, needs to be mandatory because voluntary isn’t working. The alternative will be winter lockdown. To be fair most people ar our local supermarket wear one but football is nonsensical. We wear ours whenever we go shopping and also at all times at football in the concourse or in our seats apart from when having a drink.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here