Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] "You're only lazy.."

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Over the years I've been accused plenty of times of being lazy.

Apparently, being lazy is evil, so you have to try to work around it giving additional excuses. "I didnt call because...", and then they tell you that you are "just lazy".

As if lazy could ever be "just lazy". I cant think of one single thing that damaged me and my life more than being lazy.

No one ever has a solution to it either. They think the solution to being lazy is to just stop being lazy. Its like telling a depressed person to just stop being depressed or to tell someone who are in love to just stop being in love. Its not a choice. No one chooses to be lazy (other than maybe if you are normally not lazy and just want a lazy day), because there is little or nothing to gain from it. "Just lazy" just isnt "just", its a major ****ing problem.

Anyway, anyone here know anything about getting out of laziness?

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Over the years I've been accused plenty of times of being lazy.

Apparently, being lazy is evil, so you have to try to work around it giving additional excuses. "I didnt call because...", and then they tell you that you are "just lazy".

As if lazy could ever be "just lazy". I cant think of one single thing that damaged me and my life more than being lazy.

No one ever has a solution to it either. They think the solution to being lazy is to just stop being lazy. Its like telling a depressed person to just stop being depressed or to tell someone who are in love to just stop being in love. Its not a choice. No one chooses to be lazy (other than maybe if you are normally not lazy and just want a lazy day), because there is little or nothing to gain from it. "Just lazy" just isnt "just", its a major ****ing problem.

Anyway, anyone here know anything about getting out of laziness?

Get off this website, get outside, go for a walk. Then come back and write a really short to do list for what you want to achieve that day. Nothing beats crossing something off a list.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm lazy. But it's the lazy people who invented the wheel and the bicycle because they didn't like walking or carrying things - Lech Walesa

On that basis Swanny may have solved both the planet and the housing crisis. Someone just needs to tell Phelim MacCafferty to get on a boat and then a bike to Lund and pick up a consignment of 10.500 used pizza boxes and 2000 roach ends that can be used to make excellent sustainable low cost housing.

:moo:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Your post suggests that you are not entirely content about your so called "laziness". If you were you could be reasonably dismissed as just lazy. However if you are actually feeling "demotivated" there could be other causes such as mental health issues, such as depression or anxiety, or lack of self esteem, or it could be associated with your recreational drug use.
Are you happy being lazy and what do you attribute it to?
How do you define your laziness? Do you just have a different set of priorities to which you devote your energies?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Don't eat so many Pizzas, cook for yourself

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm lazy. But it's the lazy people who invented the wheel and the bicycle because they didn't like walking or carrying things - Lech Walesa

This - I was good at my job because I'm fundamentally lazy, I had to find easier and quicker ways to do things. Likewise, I retired a couple of years ago at 47 because I'm really effing lazy.....

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Your post suggests that you are not entirely content about your so called "laziness". If you were you could be reasonably dismissed as just lazy. However if you are actually feeling "demotivated" there could be other causes such as mental health issues, such as depression or anxiety, or lack of self esteem, or it could be associated with your recreational drug use.
Are you happy being lazy and what do you attribute it to?
How do you define your laziness? Do you just have a different set of priorities to which you devote your energies?

the answer is "yes."

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Get off this website, get outside, go for a walk. Then come back and write a really short to do list for what you want to achieve that day. Nothing beats crossing something off a list.

That’s right, achievement makes you feel good, and motivates you to achieve something else.
Apathy breeds apathy.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Working class people aren't allowed to be lazy, but I see it has eeking out some retirement before your too old to enjoy it. They love giving the statistic on London news about how many days are lost to sickness and skiving - it's terrible how much it costs the economy. But I think of it as clawing back some of the wealth we all created in the first place. Leisure time doesn't just have to be a pursuit of the wealthy.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
You're talking about motivation, right? The lack of a desire to do / achieve something?

I struggle with this too.

What I find helps me when I'm mired in this pattern is to break up my day to small chunks, each made up of itemised tasks. Working through those lists and chunks of time one at a time often leads to a snowball effect for me and before I know it I'm careening through the day.

I would however echo what others have said. I don't know you except for the "you" we experience on NSC but it sometimes seems like a break from your screen would be a good thing. Turn off the laptop, turn off the phone, ignore the TV. Even if only for half hour a day - it helps.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'd work very hard but I'm lazy
I can't take the pressure and it's starting to show
In my heart you know that it pains me
A life of leisure is no life you know.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
This - I was good at my job because I'm fundamentally lazy, I had to find easier and quicker ways to do things. Likewise, I retired a couple of years ago at 47 because I'm really effing lazy.....

I totally agree.
I always tried to find the easy way to get a task completed.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
As long as you're healthy and happy, is there anything intrinsically wrong with laziness? Of course, I'm not advocating staying in bed all day and wasting your life away. But if you're seeing friends, having fun and spending time doing what you enjoy, that's not a bad way to live.

I agree with my man Bertrand (disclaimer: I read this almost 20 years ago so can't say for sure that I fully support all views expressed :) )

In Praise of Idleness

By Bertrand Russell

Like most of my generation, I was brought up on the saying “Satan finds some mischief still for idle hands to do.” Being a highly virtuous child, I believed all that I was told and acquired a conscience which has kept me working hard down to the present moment. But although my conscience has controlled my actions, my opinions have undergone a revolution. I think that there is far too much work done in the world, that immense harm is caused by the belief that work is virtuous, and that what needs to be preached in modern industrial countries is quite different from what always has been preached.

https://harpers.org/archive/1932/10/in-praise-of-idleness/

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here