Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Government plans to privatise CH4

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"Extreme left" and "extreme right" often do meet when it comes to some things, such as the view that power should be centralised and concentrated. On other topics, such as race, the opinions are usually entirely different.

The concentration of power however always thwarts what was initially sought. Most likely most nazis in the beginning of the movement and most early days communists in Soviet did not want what it eventually ended up being. I dont think its entirely fair to let Hitler and Stalin represent the far right and the far left as they were beyond that and more often acting out of self-interest rather than some kind of ideology.

They have one thing in common though - antisemitism. And not only that, they both claim it isn't antisemitism.

Apparently they both also have:

A hatred for mainstream media (which is why we are on this thread)
An undying love for their dear old mum
An a'hole that points downward

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Extreme right and left wing politics both end up as dictatorships with lack of freedom. That's why I called it horseshoe politics.
It was hard to tell the communist regimes from the nazis with progroms as bad as the holocaust. Both sides had genocides.

No, indeed. But it is a horse-shoe - both ends point in the same(ish) direction (mayhem). They don't meet.

My point really was about deflecting against the sins of one group by whatabouting the sins of the others. Better to fight both than let them both run riot. :thumbsup:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
They have one thing in common though - antisemitism. And not only that, they both claim it isn't antisemitism.

Apparently they both also have:

A hatred for mainstream media (which is why we are on this thread)
An undying love for their dear old mum
An a'hole that points downward

Dont agree with the first one and - nowadays - not with the second either.

Jul 7, 2003
C4's coverage of the Paralympics was in a totally different class to the BBC's shambolic Olympics coverage. They did a fantastic job. I fear that will go when Boris sells it off.

And The Last Leg....don't forget The Last Leg.

Of course - the Last Leg was my introduction to this world of Paralympics. I really believe that the way they used humour to highlight both the brilliance but also the normality of people with disabilities really changed a lot of people's perceptions and brought a new audience to some amazing athletes.

People talk now about how inclusive Strictly is now (and rightly so) but C4 were years ahead of them.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Of course - the Last Leg was my introduction to this world of Paralympics. I really believe that the way they used humour to highlight both the brilliance but also the normality of people with disabilities really changed a lot of people's perceptions and brought a new audience to some amazing athletes.

People talk now about how inclusive Strictly is now (and rightly so) but C4 were years ahead of them.

Strictly must have an interesting tick list for inclusivity which presumably includes at least one straight white male and female, one gay person for a same sex couple, one with an obvious disability, one fat person, one or two older people, about three black people as they all get voted off early, one soap star, one BBC morning presenter, one sports personality etc. Don't get me wrong. That ticklist has generated a cracking celebrity list this year and the deaf girl, Rose Ayling-Ellis, is a real treasure. Just curious about that inclusivity checklist and how they choose the contestants.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Powers over the Electoral Commission
While the Electoral Commission will remain independent, the bill will introduce a new “strategy and policy statement”, which the commission must take account of, which will be put together by the Cabinet Office’s secretary of state, currently Michael Gove. Critics say this could allow political interference in the commission’s work and its enforcement priorities – for example obliging a particularly tough interpretation of rules such as those for non-party campaigners.

Good luck if you trust Michael Gove.

So out of that whole article you referenced as the Govt taking control of the Electoral Commission the only thing you object to is clamping down on the rules for non-party campaigners ?

...and nobody trusts Michael Gove.

Jan 30, 2008
Strictly must have an interesting tick list for inclusivity which presumably includes at least one straight white male and female, one gay person for a same sex couple, one with an obvious disability, one fat person, one or two older people, about three black people as they all get voted off early, one soap star, one BBC morning presenter, one sports personality etc. Don't get me wrong. That ticklist has generated a cracking celebrity list this year and the deaf girl, Rose Ayling-Ellis, is a real treasure. Just curious about that inclusivity checklist and how they choose the contestants.

What you failed to mention is they've lost over a million viewers

Regards
DF

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I think that if the Tories can f*ck-up anything good about this country they will f*ck it up. The BBC and C4 are superb broadcasters and only morons can't see how lucky Britain is with it's highly quality TV and radio. (queue a deluge of idiots saying "but I only watch Sky or Netflix")

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here