Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] We just can't get the parts

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have been waiting for weeks for my local Renault dealer to get some parts to fix my car. I have been told that some parts are taking months to arive (from France) and that other manufacturerers (e.g., VW) are in the same boat.

I asked for an explanation and have been told 'we don't know what the problem is'.

I hadn't heard about this. Anyone else experiencing it? There appears to be no end in sight.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
yes. My renault has been waiting on a new alternator for a few weeks now. Causing big problems as we have lost use of the car

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh goodie.

All the usuals are now currently lurking around this thread - hiding in plan sight - ready to have exactly the same argument they've been having every week for what seems like forever.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In 2015, our car broke down in France, with the exhaust giving up the ghost. We had breakdown cover, and were promptly taken to a garage in a nearby town.
This was on a Friday evening. The breakdown cover included a taxi back to our accommodation, so all well and good.
It was a Renault Megane so foolishly we thought a French car would be easy to fix.
The French garage didn't work at the weekend, so it was Monday before the exhaust was sourced, but Tuesday before it was delivered to the garage.
Our French friends had already warned us that if we'd been driving a German car, spares were easily available, but not so for their own makes.
The car was repaired on Tuesday, picked up at teatime and we then made our way home, rejoicing at having spent an extra four days holiday on the beach.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I have been waiting for weeks for my local Renault dealer to get some parts to fix my car. I have been told that some parts are taking months to arive (from France) and that other manufacturerers (e.g., VW) are in the same boat.

I asked for an explanation and have been told 'we don't know what the problem is'.

I hadn't heard about this. Anyone else experiencing it? There appears to be no end in sight.

What do you need HWT?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Probably due to manufacturing and / or shipping.

Anything electric huge issues with chipsets affecting IT and automotive at the moment - 52+ week lead times for manufacture and delivery of components. Skoda are just about to shut down manufacturer for the rest of the year, BMW are shipping new cars with only 1 remote key so they can get more cars out.... Impact of covid, huge demand on common chipsets, over reliable on Asia for manufacturing .... and costs rising because demand

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My wife's windscreen wiper motor on her Dacia gave up a few weeks ago. Our local mechanic ordered the part the next day, & it should've been in by the end of that week.
Took 4 weeks to arrive though and he told us that parts in general were a nightmare to get hold of at the moment, not just Renault / Dacia. Luckily she could use my car and I just cycled to work each day...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Oh goodie.

All the usuals are now currently lurking around this thread - hiding in plan sight - ready to have exactly the same argument they've been having every week for what seems like forever.

20 minutes in and still no sight of them. Almost worrying.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Yes. There is a global component shortage following the ramp-up in consumer and manufacturing demand post-covid shutdowns. Many components are being directed to production lines rather than warehouses as replacement parts / spares. Auto manufacturers are desperate to keep production lines rolling given their fixed costs and the financial impact of having factories on slow / no time.

Auto-manufacturers are currently building 'part-finished' vehicles rather than stop the line. Picture below is of part-finished cars in the USA that will have missing components retro-fitted once they are available. People needing spares for repairs are currently at the back of the queue.

im-392662.jpg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes. There is a global component shortage following the ramp-up in consumer and manufacturing demand post-covid shutdowns. Many components are being directed to production lines rather than warehouses as replacement parts / spares. Auto manufacturers are desperate to keep production lines rolling given their fixed costs and the financial impact of having factories on slow / no time.

Auto-manufacturers are currently building 'part-finished' vehicles rather than stop the line. Picture below is of part-finished cars in the USA that will have missing components retro-fitted once they are available. People needing spares for repairs are currently at the back of the queue.

Isnt it your job to fix this?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What do you need HWT?

There is a problem with the front axle and its connection with one of the wheels. It causes a wobble/vibration whenI accelerate if the car is unloaded. I don't know the precise details.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Oh goodie.

Yes it's terrible, luckily you don't pop up in threads making the exact same argument every time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here