Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] We just can't get the parts

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Just smashed the shell on my electric wing mirror unit. The electrics all fine and everything works, but fearing a big one. Henfield is handy. Can you PM his details if you think it's his kind of thing.

Pm me your reg I might be able to source one [emoji1303]

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I was in the motor trade for 15 years and Renaults were utter garbage when it came to electrics, interiors and general longevity. These days, they're half decent. I'd have a VW all day over a Renault, as per your thoughts - but Renault are really stepping up their game.

If you're getting a wobble from the front wheel(s) and it's only under acceleration, and it's front end related I can only imagine a driveshaft? That's not good.

Curveball though - have you had the balancing on the front wheels checked? A cheap and/or badly balanced tyre (or a well balanced tyre with a weight thrown off) or a buckled wheel can cause a real wobble through the steering at varying speed ranges.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
With hindsight, it might have been best to buy a British car. There’s so much to choose from ! I would imagine that there are still some minor Brexit related teething problems, but I’m optimistic that they’ll be history within a decade. Our great illustrious leader will navigate us through these turbulent times.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Indeed. Apart from the obvious (of course I didn't vote for Brexit) if I thought this was due to Brexit I wouldn't have bothered to start the thread. FFS.

It would have been nice for the Renault people to have told me that supply chains are buggered, probably due to Covid, and that Renault are prioritising new builds rather than repairs, rather than tell me nothing, claim it was a mystery and, when I first rang them today tell me they would ring me back and then not do so.

I like to know what's going on and find it baffling that others don't care, or simply blame stuff on random things, or tell lies :rant:

It's the same with bikes (and I'm sure many other things). For starters it's been very difficult during the pandemic to find a decent supply of decent bikes ... the Giant store near me had next to nothing for ages!

I recently had my mountain bike serviced by a local independent chap and need a new gear shifter - but the Shimano part wasn't available due to a shortage of supply from Malaysia/Singapore, where they had closed down for a long time due to Covid. The chap was well informed and was able to explain the situation to me, which was good. So I went onto his ever increasing list of people awaiting parts for various repairs etc!

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
With hindsight, it might have been best to buy a British car. There’s so much to choose from ! I would imagine that there are still some minor Brexit related teething problems, but I’m optimistic that they’ll be history within a decade. Our great illustrious leader will navigate us through these turbulent times.

Just got rid of my Wolverhampton Jag, something to do with two head gasgits, and a cracked block? Now got a Citroen, so far so good!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The country is in a mess.... you keep living in your 'we are better off now' world.

OK - I'll lay it out for you as nobody else has :

1. Anything with a microchip is in shortage WORLDWIDE. Partly because manufacturing was cut back during Covid and partly because one of the main manufacturers had a massive fire that destroyed one of their main plants.

2. Manufacturing of non-microchip parts stopped due to Covid and despite the UK being back to close to 'normal' many parts of the world aren't - especially those areas that produce the said parts.

3. There are some major shipping issues at the moment - WORLDWIDE.

4. The port of Felixstow is completely blocked due to the shortage of HGV drivers ( Britain's main import port ). I'll give that in part this is down to Brexit but that is a small percentage of the problem and France, Italy and Germany also have similar problems - yet they are still in the EU.

So Brexit is a very minor contributor to the problem.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I see. Many thanks for that. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed the wheel doesn't fall off in the meantime. When I asked the garage if the car was safe to drive the bloke (I suspect the front desk people don't know much, to be fair) said he didn't know :facepalm:

Just be careful it doesn’t invalidate your insurance!

D

Deleted member 22389

1. Anything with a microchip is in shortage WORLDWIDE. Partly because manufacturing was cut back during Covid and partly because one of the main manufacturers had a massive fire that destroyed one of their main plants.

2. Manufacturing of non-microchip parts stopped due to Covid and despite the UK being back to close to 'normal' many parts of the world aren't - especially those areas that produce the said parts.

4. The port of Felixstow is completely blocked due to the shortage of HGV drivers ( Britain's main import port ). I'll give that in part this is down to Brexit but that is a small percentage of the problem and France, Italy and Germany also have similar problems - yet they are still in the EU.

Same with Timber, and some Timber I used to buy is £4-5 more expensive.

:thumbsup:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

I wouldn't say minor but I respect your opinion.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
It’s to do with keeping essential supplies flowing ie enough food, medicine, fuels, raw materials unfortunately car parts are a long way down the list.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
saab-900-aero-13172-16057110402.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here