Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] VAR, too far?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Has VAR gone too far the opposite way from last season?

Two very contentious decisions this weekend that, to most observers, the match officials got very wrong, and then not corrected by VAR.
Our penalty shout for Kruls foul on Maupay, neutral fans even think they got this one wrong, and last night, McArthurs assault on Saka.
I do think that the offside decisions have improved immensely this season, but, red card and penalty decisions leave room for a lot of improvement.

Maybe I can be accused of blue and white tinted glasses, but if VAR can’t step in and change these type of decisions, what’s the point of having it?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The further out of sight the better in my mind.

All those decisions bad ones, but the game is better to watch without it

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Could anyone have foreseen 'we' would spend last season complaining about heavy handed VAR.

Then this season complaining about light touch VAR....

...oh yes that's right - everybody could see this coming.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Two very contentious decisions this weekend that, to most observers, the match officials got very wrong, and then not corrected by VAR.
Our penalty shout for Kruls foul on Maupay, neutral fans even think they got this one wrong, and last night, McArthurs assault on Saka.
I do think that the offside decisions have improved immensely this season, but, red card and penalty decisions leave room for a lot of improvement.

Maybe I can be accused of blue and white tinted glasses, but if VAR can’t step in and change these type of decisions, what’s the point of having it?

Another day Maupay gets given and I won't lose sleep over it particularly when we get decisions for us like Maupay foul leading to hand ball we got against Leicester.

However, last night was a disgrace and this is no excuse to just rag on Palace. It didn't even need VAR as ref is perfectly positioned to see the intentional kick on arsenal player.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Vastly better how it is, in my view.

So far as our game is concerned, had Maupay been awarded a penalty vs Norwich then Norwich would also have been awarded one when Burn slid in and cleaned out Pukki. I see both of those as the kind of thing that happens in football and was ok with the on-field decisions. Much prefer to see players making challenges in the penalty area without every slightest contact resulting in a super slo-mo replays and a free shot on goal from 12 yards, totally distorting the outcome and the spirit of the game.

(Having said that, the one in the Arsenal - Palace game looked like a full-blooded assault from behind to me with zero intention to play the ball and could have seriously injured the opponent. How that didn't result in a straight red is beyond me).

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Another day Maupay gets given and I won't lose sleep over it particularly when we get decisions for us like Maupay foul leading to hand ball we got against Leicester.

However, last night was a disgrace and this is no excuse to just rag on Palace. It didn't even need VAR as ref is perfectly positioned to see the intentional kick on arsenal player.

He was, but even if he wasn't in a good position, maybe someone ran across him or something, what about the two lino's? Surely they saw it. 99% of people in the ground did. An officiating team should be able to spot obvious stuff like this without the need for VAR at all.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's not VAR that's gone too far the other way, it's the referees. They are the ones making decisions whether on the pitch or behind a video screen. What I would like to know is who decided that they would go down the lenient route? Was it the EPL, the FA or the PGMOL?

At our game, the ref ignored a blatant push in the back on one of our players in the first half that sent him flying off the pitch yet blew up for a foul by Lamptey which was shoulder to shoulder! It's bizarre and inconsistent.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Most decisions that go to VAR, I can see the reason why the final decision is given, either not a clear and obvious mistake, or basically, the ref didn’t see it.
But, several this season I haven’t understood.
When they go to VAR, there is usually a reason, an iffy handball, or very tight offside, most of which we end up with the correct outcome. I did think that Leicester first offside goal against us should have been given,if it had been, I could see why, but, some of the penalty decisions have been a joke, and, last night, the McArthur incident was unbelievable. I can’t fathom how anyone who saw that on a monitor could not have said to the ref,either” You got that wrong, it’s a red” or “Have a look at the pitch side monitor “

If they got decisions like this right, I would really like VAR, but, as it stands, it has too light a touch this season on certain offences.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Would scrap it all together.

(Having said that, the one in the Arsenal - Palace game looked like a full-blooded assault from behind to me with zero intention to play the ball and could have seriously injured the opponent. How that didn't result in a straight red is beyond me).

https://streamable.com/h20g3k - Its beyond me how someone can think McArthur wasnt trying to play the ball. When the ball is coming out to him from the penalty area and he is preparing for the shot, Saka is still behind him and then when the ball dips down, Saka has just moved in front of him. There is just no chance he is (trying to) go for anything other than the ball.

jmc1.jpg

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

VAR just down the road from me, so not too far:thumbsup:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

https://streamable.com/h20g3k - Its beyond me how someone can think McArthur wasnt trying to play the ball. When the ball is coming out to him from the penalty area and he is preparing for the shot, Saka is still behind him and then when the ball dips down, Saka has just moved in front of him. There is just no chance he is (trying to) go for anything other than the ball.

View attachment 141400

First time I'd seen that side-on angle. Yeah, I'd agree, from behind looks violent but from side-on, not so much. Still daft a premier league footballer would do that though

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012

View attachment 141400

It is down to him to know where players are. He is hardly apologetic when he does it either. Bissouma got a red last season vs Newcastle when he didn’t know where someone was and accidentally kicked him. They are responsible for their actions and he injured someone!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It is down to him to know where players are. He is hardly apologetic when he does it either. Bissouma got a red last season vs Newcastle when he didn’t know where someone was and accidentally kicked him. They are responsible for their actions and he injured someone!

I would give Bissouma a yellow for that as well.

Save the red cards for malicious intents. If you try to kick the ball but kick a player, its just a free kick or a yellow as I see it.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012

Save the red cards for malicious intents. If you try to kick the ball but kick a player, its just a free kick or a yellow as I see it.

I don’t understand the comment from the commentator at the time who said he probably would not have done it if had yellow earlier? If he didn’t mean it then what would have changed? If he wasn’t going for the man (they had been shoving each other a bit moments earlier) then nothing changes surely?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Much better this season in that they are backing ref more which is something we all want. However many occasions VAR could have asked ref to have another look. Trouble is this is not done enough and refs feel when it is VAR is asking them to change decision. Instead if they believe in original decision they should be happy to stick with it. 2 disallowed Leicester goals ref should have had a look again so he could see again if player was interfeering. Still think penalty fouls should be left to ref like the Maupay one was.
Still frustrating refs dont flag for obvious offsides but VAR is good for offsides now. Kanes recent goal an example

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

I think Friend didn’t give a card at first, then VAR got involved and gave him a red.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
He was, but even if he wasn't in a good position, maybe someone ran across him or something, what about the two lino's? Surely they saw it. 99% of people in the ground did. An officiating team should be able to spot obvious stuff like this without the need for VAR at all.

See post 10 - about two yards in front of him with a clear view.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Much like refereeing in general, we will never have everyone be happy with VAR. We expect it to mean the ref will make the same decision as us every time, and even if that is the outcome, it won't be quick enough. But we never agree on the right decision anyway. And we usually change our minds on what the right decision is depending on who is inolved and which way round (e.g. is our player challenging or being challenged).

SAC

May 21, 2014
VAR is so much better this season. There are bound to be a few offside decisions not now given, penalties not given and red cards not given that should have been but I would prefer this to there being far too many given out. This is much closer to the VAR we were expecting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here