Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League Clubs REALLY pissed off with Saudi takeoi

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
You can't see the difference between owning a small minority shareholding of a multi-national conglomerate worth over $50bn over which they be able to exert negligible influence, if any at all, and having full control of a football club - a relatively small enterprise in corporate terms but, more pertinently, is deeply entwined with a local community?

Fair enough.

Must just be me, then.

Of course I see the difference but as I asked yesterday on another thread what are you expecting them to do at Newcastle? Sack all female staff, ban alcohol, only serve halal pies and behead anyone who makes a mistake?

I don't see how this is any different from what happened at Man City or PSG and if you go back far enough Chelsea. How City and Chelsea have the brass tacks to complain about the take over is beyond me.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I really don't get this line of debate, which a few people have used over the last week or so.

PIF own a fraction of one percent of Disney's current issued share capital - a tiny, tiny fraction. Are you suggesting that, as consumers, we should be vetting the entire share register of any company we wish to do business with and boycott any that has a single shareholder that we feel a bit indifferent towards?

There is a world of difference in a nation state fund buying s tiny minority shareholding in a publicly-listed conglomerate and buying all of (or a controlling interest of) a football club, and I'm surprised so many people seem to be bracketing these together. To be honest, it feels like someone made this point on social media a short while ago, and lots of folk have picked it up and run with it, without really considering its merits.

Agreed - there’s a crappy infographic the geordies love. But most of the share holdings are minimal like you say - and also they are publicly traded companies. Newcastle is a private entity where they have had a significant controlling share holding - completely different to the others they mention

Disagree. If you are going to get your knickers in a twist about them buying Newcastle on supposed moral grounds then what does it matter if they've invest $1 or $1b into other ventures?

Making it an unlevel playing field for other teams I could understand but the league is already like that.

I shall await my ban and take it with grace.

I think my point was as Arthur has put more succinctly than my clumsy attempt, was that there is massive outrage supposedly on moral grounds, but the vast majority of us (myself included) don't really care who owns Disney, Uber , or where Primark gets their clothes made, its convenient so we are blind to the behind the scenes, when its Newcastle, which other than maybe not getting the points, it has no direct bearing on us, we can afford to be outraged.

If we aren't worried about what % of Disney is owned by them, why should we be concerned about 80% of Newcastle being owned by them, or why aren't we all protesting the £billions of deals the country makes with Saudi, or looking into our pension funds or isas or whatever it is to see whether or not we would support the companies we are investing with?

I think we are all guilty of double standards here, the Newcastle take over and the scenes of jubilation shown by both fans and some pundits has just highlighted all of our own ability to ignore inconvenient truths and perhaps a lot of the outrage is externalising this in some way .

As with most things , I don't think there is any easy answer, no correct view point, its all far to complicated and nuanced for that, I just think the outpouring of outrage is a bit much given my thoughts above.Others will have equally valid and contradictory view points.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Of course I see the difference but as I asked yesterday on another thread what are you expecting them to do at Newcastle? Sack all female staff, ban alcohol, only serve halal pies and behead anyone who makes a mistake?

Of course not, no.

I don't see how this is any different from what happened at Man City or PSG and if you go back far enough Chelsea. How City and Chelsea have the brass tacks to complain about the take over is beyond me.

Indeed - and I've not suggested otherwise.

All I've done is comment that, for me, there is a significant difference between having full control of a football club and owning a small chunk of the Walt Disney Company. And it seems you now agree. We can be friends again.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
On Radio 5 last night, Rory Smith described Newcastle United as nothing more than "The marketing arm of an oppressive regime."

Of course, PIF hold minority positions in a number of global blue chips in order to limit the Saudi government's future reliance on oil revenues. That is just how the global economy works. But beyond that there is something particularly distasteful and cynical (to me) about buying 80% of a football club for no other reason than an attempt to get people to look the other way whilst you persecute minorities, withhold basic human rights and commit atrocities with impunity.

Like everybody else, I was queuing up to buy their petrol 3 weeks ago but that doesn't mean I'm going to dance around with a tea towel on my head and marvel at Newcastle's elevation to the footballing stratosphere.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think my point was as Arthur has put more succinctly than my clumsy attempt, was that there is massive outrage supposedly on moral grounds, but the vast majority of us (myself included) don't really care who owns Disney, Uber , or where Primark gets their clothes made, its convenient so we are blind to the behind the scenes, when its Newcastle, which other than maybe not getting the points, it has no direct bearing on us, we can afford to be outraged.

If we aren't worried about what % of Disney is owned by them, why should we be concerned about 80% of Newcastle being owned by them, or why aren't we all protesting the £billions of deals the country makes with Saudi, or looking into our pension funds or isas or whatever it is to see whether or not we would support the companies we are investing with?

I think we are all guilty of double standards here, the Newcastle take over and the scenes of jubilation shown by both fans and some pundits has just highlighted all of our own ability to ignore inconvenient truths and perhaps a lot of the outrage is externalising this in some way .

As with most things , I don't think there is any easy answer, no correct view point, its all far to complicated and nuanced for that, I just think the outpouring of outrage is a bit much given my thoughts above.Others will have equally valid and contradictory view points.

I don't believe I've expressed any disgust at Newcastle's new ownership structure, so I'm guessing I'm cool to keep my Disney+ subscription?

You say double standards, I see it as more a case of people picking the battles they wish to fight. There aren't enough hours in the day for anyone to research, learn about and involve themselves in all of the worthy causes that exist in this big, bad world. Just because someone cares about a nation state with a record of highly questionable practices taking control of a football club, doesn't mean they don't care about any other cause.

And surely it's better to be involved in one thing you believe is wrong (even if that means you "ignore" others) than to just let everything go?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I don't believe I've expressed any disgust at Newcastle's new ownership structure, so I'm guessing I'm cool to keep my Disney+ subscription?

You say double standards, I see it as more a case of people picking the battles they wish to fight. There aren't enough hours in the day for anyone to research, learn about and involve themselves in all of the worthy causes that exist in this big, bad world. Just because someone cares about a nation state with a record of highly questionable practices taking control of a football club, doesn't mean they don't care about any other cause.

And surely it's better to be involved in one thing you believe is wrong (even if that means you "ignore" others) than to just let everything go?

I dont think I suggested you had, and i certainly didnt mean to imply that if I did.

I do not have an issue with anyone keeping Disney or using Uber or whatever, I dont think I said I did, I am sure I unknowingly support all sorts of things I would rather I didnt, before this whole Newcastle affair I had no idea any of Disney, or airlines or whatever I have used and will continue to use were supported by PIF or any other grouping that may not be as moral or ethical as we like

Mine was meant to be a general point, not directed at any one person, that we as a whole are very quick to turn a blind eye if it suits us and i include myself in that as well

I agree we all, have to pick our battles, and I certainly dont think its anyone not issue of not caring about x or y.

As you say, there are not enough hours to even contemplate all these things, let alone take a stand. If nothing else this take over has sparked a lively discussion both here, and in the country as a whole and that has to be a good thing?

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
For me they should be protesting on moral grounds not because they're scared they'll buy all the best players which is what any club with the most money would do and does do.

I thought the FA had a fit and proper persons rule. Doesn't that rule include human rights records and murder?

Apparently not !

Anyone else can see, what the Premier league cannot !

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

But you have said it yourself. We don’t really care who owns Disney etc. We do care about who owns our football club. It’s more personal. By extension we care about the company our football club keeps and my thoughts on Newcastle are exactly the same as my thoughts on Chelsea, Man C etc. I didn’t wave those takeovers through and the fact they were allowed does not affect my opinions on the current shenanigans. There are no inconvenient truths is any of this because I am not advocating that Saudi Arabia be excluded from the global capitalist system rather that they not be allowed to sportswash their reputation in our football league. You don’t see pictures of their grinning new chairman when you watch Disney but you certainly do at the football because that’s the whole idea of their investment.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
But you have said it yourself. We don’t really care who owns Disney etc. We do care about who owns our football club. It’s more personal. By extension we care about the company our football club keeps and my thoughts on Newcastle are exactly the same as my thoughts on Chelsea, Man C etc. I didn’t wave those takeovers through and the fact they were allowed does not affect my opinions on the current shenanigans. There are no inconvenient truths is any of this because I am not advocating that Saudi Arabia be excluded from the global capitalist system rather that they not be allowed to sportswash their reputation in our football league. You don’t see pictures of their grinning new chairman when you watch Disney but you certainly do at the football because that’s the whole idea of their investment.

Not sure why people keep referring to Disney! PIF do own shares but it is reportedly less than one per cent so they have no controlling interest which of course they do with Newcastle.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I really don't get this line of debate, which a few people have used over the last week or so.

PIF own a fraction of one percent of Disney's current issued share capital - a tiny, tiny fraction. Are you suggesting that, as consumers, we should be vetting the entire share register of any company we wish to do business with and boycott any that has a single shareholder that we feel a bit indifferent towards?

There is a world of difference in a nation state fund buying s tiny minority shareholding in a publicly-listed conglomerate and buying all of (or a controlling interest of) a football club, and I'm surprised so many people seem to be bracketing these together. To be honest, it feels like someone made this point on social media a short while ago, and lots of folk have picked it up and run with it, without really considering its merits.

Its a fair point you make but I think it needs to be looked at in a wider context.

In the UK, the financial media are obsessed with companies with publicly quoted equity - in fact there are many, many large private companies which are owned by some very dodgy individuals and sovereign wealth funds from dubious regimes. How many people know for example that a large number of M&S warehouses in the UK are owned by a Chinese sovereign wealth fund?

Newcastle are no different in that respect and I just don't see how anyone can object to them being owned by the Saudis when many companies who we use in day to day life have equally dodgy ownership. Howls of version over their takeover is just the tip of the iceberg in UK Plc....

What gets my goat more is FFP - its absolute rubbish. Just please stop pretending that all the financial chicanery around it has any credence whatsoever.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Song for when they come to the Amex?

Hack Up Who We Like, Hack Up Who We Like, We're Saudi Geordies We Hack Up Who We Like...

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Related transactions are the issue. If the Saudis (PIF) invest a billion pounds regenerating the North East by way of football infrastructure projects then no problem. However, having naming rights and associated sponsorship deals way above commercial norms directly impacts FFP and the football competition - a charge levied at all the state-funded clubs i.e. PSG & City

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Its a fair point you make but I think it needs to be looked at in a wider context.

In the UK, the financial media are obsessed with companies with publicly quoted equity - in fact there are many, many large private companies which are owned by some very dodgy individuals and sovereign wealth funds from dubious regimes. How many people know for example that a large number of M&S warehouses in the UK are owned by a Chinese sovereign wealth fund?

Newcastle are no different in that respect and I just don't see how anyone can object to them being owned by the Saudis when many companies who we use in day to day life have equally dodgy ownership. Howls of version over their takeover is just the tip of the iceberg in UK Plc....

What gets my goat more is FFP - its absolute rubbish. Just please stop pretending that all the financial chicanery around it has any credence whatsoever.

...so once something is broken (such as ownership of assets by unsavoury characters/regimes), we open the flood gates and accept anything those characters/regimes do?

As it happens I boycott M&S for entirely different reasons than the ownership of their logistics infrastructure, but that doesn't mean I can't hate what the takeover of NUFC means for football. No it's not the only thing wrong with the world (of football or otherwise) but it is wrong and I reserve the right to say so.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
On Radio 5 last night, Rory Smith described Newcastle United as nothing more than "The marketing arm of an oppressive regime."

Of course, PIF hold minority positions in a number of global blue chips in order to limit the Saudi government's future reliance on oil revenues. That is just how the global economy works. But beyond that there is something particularly distasteful and cynical (to me) about buying 80% of a football club for no other reason than an attempt to get people to look the other way whilst you persecute minorities, withhold basic human rights and commit atrocities with impunity.

Like everybody else, I was queuing up to buy their petrol 3 weeks ago but that doesn't mean I'm going to dance around with a tea towel on my head and marvel at Newcastle's elevation to the footballing stratosphere.

This could suggest otherwise!

https://www.statista.com/statistics...import-origin-countries-to-united-kingdom-uk/

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
You can't see the difference between owning a small minority shareholding of a multi-national conglomerate worth over $50bn over which they are able to exert negligible influence, if any at all, and having full control of a football club - a relatively small enterprise in corporate terms but, more pertinently, is deeply entwined with a local community?

Fair enough.

Must just be me, then.

2 years in , why is it still pants ...? sell it...! :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here