Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] anyone up for an OFFICIAL fan boycot of the Brentford boxing day game ???

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It seems that a train option is going to be a nightmare for me, so the car it has to be. Previously, for evening games, I would drive to Hove station and use the car park there, then train to Brighton and Falmer. At the time Mithras House was closed for building work. I am assuming (hoping!) that the club and Southern have negotiated a shuttle service for Brighton-Falmer-Lewes even if scheduled services are cancelled. My fall back option is the P&R. Any idea if and where there will be additional sites? I’ll be coming down the A23 rather than from Southampton for this gig so any helpful info. would be much appreciated.

Last time there were shuttle buses laid on ferrying people from Falmer to The Amex, and Brighton station to the Amex from a few hours before kick off and post match
And also additional park and rides.
Arsenal offered subsidised coaches which I suspect Brentford will do.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Not a lot of use aiming a boycott at the live event. That hits the club, not the broadcaster and its the broadcaster that has the power. If football fans want these stupid Christmas KO times to change they need to be arranging a boycott of the televised fixtures. For maximum effect it needs to be national, it needs to be aimed at all Boxing Day games. The message would need to be 'Don't schedule them because we won't watch them. Don't pay for advertising because we won't be watching.' I can't see it happening.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The whole stadium was the same given seats were arranged for social distancing for that game last season

Yeah, but I don't expect the rest of the stadium to have as many no shows and empty seats, as the Family stand on Boxing Day will have, so the rest of the stadium will not look like it did against Man City, whereas the East Stand will. Does that make sense now?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Maybe people have Sky Sports subscriptions to watch other sports, just a thought.

There is absolutely no advantage for an Albion ST holder to have a Sky Sports subscription to watch just Albion games if this season is anything to go by. Apart from Palace away games have been 3pm kick off.

A few thousand Albion fans cancelling Sky Sports will be like peeing in the sea, Sky would not give a shite and there is f*** all we can do apart from moan on here or bottle things up and keep quiet.

Sky have bought up more or less every sport I like or my family do. Apart from football I like NFL, absolutely adore Test Match Cricket and watch F1 with my son as a ritual (I'd watch a F1 race over a Sky PL match so long as it wasn't a Brighton match I couldn't get tickets for). Darts is great in the right circumstances (those being a late December night with a beer). Boxing has also been consumed by Sky and PPV. The BBC only seem to have the Olympics and London Marathon left and ITV would rather show Pro Celebrity Silicon Boobs live from Essex.

I can replace all of this with a stick and IPTV subscription but that makes it subject to broadband signal and the legal owners of the content shutting a site down.

These days you have the choice between seeing everything uninterrupted and selling your soul or trusting to feeds which are supplied by people who are potentially even more dangerous.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
I won't be going but Sky always show matches on Boxing Day... This time it's us, no problem. I'd be at noon kick off but I'm cool to watch on telly.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
No chance of shifting unused tickets on the Exchange for this one as reckon it will be quite an empty stadium. Hardest part for me will be not drinking all day. Wouldn't be getting slaughtered but definitely would be over the limit by 5pm normally so will have to abstain all day so I can drive.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Last time there were shuttle buses laid on ferrying people from Falmer to The Amex, and Brighton station to the Amex from a few hours before kick off and post match
And also additional park and rides.
Arsenal offered subsidised coaches which I suspect Brentford will do.
A 5.15pm kick off is very different to an 8pm kick off when there's already a shortage of bus drivers. You'd still get home at a reasonable hour after the game and perhaps be able to have a drink too.

Getting 30k out of The Amex by bus at 10pm isn't going to happen. Especially when the sustainable travel plan encourages people to stay behind for drinks after.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
A 5.15pm kick off is very different to an 8pm kick off when there's already a shortage of bus drivers. You'd still get home at a reasonable hour after the game and perhaps be able to have a drink too.

Getting 30k out of The Amex by bus at 10pm isn't going to happen. Especially when the sustainable travel plan encourages people to stay behind for drinks after.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

If it’s definitely not going to happen then you’ll have more insight than the police, the coach providers, the clubs, the rail companies and so on who have agreed with Sky for the game to happen on basis of a feasible plan for getting 30K in and out.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It's a Sunday first game is 1230 why the **** can't the second game be 1445 then ours could be 1700 which is far more palatable than 2000.

Because I think there’s a full EFL schedule at 3pm that it can’t clash with. And because 8pm is prime time viewing - far more palatable to Sky.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Brighton had an early evening kick off on Boxing Day only three years ago. The ground was full , some trains ran, plenty of coaches and park and rides were in existence to ferry people there probably with greater ease than on Saturday afternoons. . Even Jurgen locadia scored so miracles do happen.
The idea that this is a shocking novelty - it’s not. Sky (and now BT and Amazon) have been scheduling Christmas football for decades. It’s good for their ratings to have multiple evening matches. Bigger audiences.
Even Brighton /Brentford .
The club agree to it, both Brentford and Brighton will work with the police and transport providers to get everyone there and back - including trains - and it will not be , by any stretch , the lowest attendance ever.

We will never know, but I can't think of a much worse possibility for the lowest attended game of this PL season for us. What do you reckon was the lowest attended league fixture at the current capacity, or the capacity as was before the seats got shunted along to fit a few more in?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We will never know, but I can't think of a much worse possibility for the lowest attended game of this PL season for us. What do you reckon was the lowest attended league fixture at the current capacity, or the capacity as was before the seats got shunted along to fit a few more in?

A couple of the midweek games around Tail end of Hyypia were about 15K /16K attendees based on a FOI to police / local council records.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Maybe people have Sky Sports subscriptions to watch other sports, just a thought.

There is absolutely no advantage for an Albion ST holder to have a Sky Sports subscription to watch just Albion games if this season is anything to go by. Apart from Palace, away games have been 3pm kick off.

A few thousand Albion fans cancelling Sky Sports will be like peeing in the sea, Sky would not give a shite and there is f*** all we can do apart from moan on here or bottle things up and keep quiet.

So people moan about sky but subscribe. Can't have it both ways.

If all fans that go to games cancelled their subscriptions and didn't go to pubs to watch games it would hit Sky but it would never happen so it get's a bit tedious every time a game is moved for the tv that we get all the usual gripes.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
That will be £21 from Worthing by Seagull Travel then.

It's like a tax on attending a match you have already paid for.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

If all fans that go to games cancelled their subscriptions and didn't go to pubs to watch games it would hit Sky but it would never happen so it get's a bit tedious every time a game is moved for the tv that we get all the usual gripes.

No one is forcing you to read about people's difficulties.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If it’s definitely not going to happen then you’ll have more insight than the police, the coach providers, the clubs, the rail companies and so on who have agreed with Sky for the game to happen on basis of a feasible plan for getting 30K in and out.

He is right though and in this instance you are wrong. There will definitely not be 30,000 attending, there will be thousands fewer. If we thought the gaps around the stadium were bad so far this season, the Brentford game will be shocking.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

We all know the armchair football ‘fans’ far outweigh the ticket buyers, it would make no difference if fans that went to games cancelled subscriptions.

I can understand why any fan is moaning because the game is being played at 8pm on Boxing Day.
I’m sure many fans would have been fine with some sort of afternoon kick off.

You carry on happy clapping and shouting whoop de doo…..because you are obviously over the f***** moon with this kick off time :facepalm:

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
It's all a bit one rule for them...
So you cannot televise a 3pm game for fear of impacting attendances.
But you can choose to televise a match at a time that I'd guess around half of people cannot attend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here