Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Earthshot Prize

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Anyone else watching this?

I sat down to this hoping to learn about some of the fantastic things being done to save the planet. Instead, we’ve been subjected Coldplay, Ed Sheeran and KSI signing a bunch of pointless songs. Plus celebrities telling us how terrible things are.

Why couldn’t they give some more detailed films and appraisals of the great work being done? I reckon there has been about 5 minutes of what really matters so far….

Rather than some glitzy over the top ceremony, surely it would’ve been better for a low key presentation which maximises the contribution of the finalists.

Rant over….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I sat down to this hoping to learn about some of the fantastic things being done to save the planet. Instead, we’ve been subjected Coldplay, Ed Sheeran and KSI signing a bunch of pointless songs. Plus celebrities telling us how terrible things are.

Why couldn’t they give some more detailed films and appraisals of the great work being done? I reckon there has been about 5 minutes of what really matters so far….

Rather than some glitzy over the top ceremony, surely it would’ve been better for a low key presentation which maximises the contribution of the finalists.

Rant over….

I hate to say this but I still suspect most of our household recycling is going into land fill. I mean, how do they separate all that shit out? It must cost a fortune.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I agree, not enough being told about the innovations.
The development/discovery of plastic eating enzymes, is probably the greatest and could be the most significant thing of the 21st century.
I'm no way going full on bunny hugger, but the reduction of our carbon footprint can actually help to save money as well. I've done away with a lot of harmful chemicals in my household already, which saves on cupboard space, less plastic and a nice smelling home(no pungent bleaches). Our food waste could be better manged, which will have a knock on effect to buying less with less packaging.
It's small steps, but it all helps

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
The detail was shown in a series of lead up episodes. Probably worth taking a look on iplayer if you missed them.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Second bit of pointless virtue signalling by our first family of scroungers in recent weeks.

Prince I am in my seventies and have never wiped my own arse Charles has converted his Aston Martin to run on wine wastage (thanks that more than compensates for all those private jet journeys) and now his slacked jawed son grabs a spot of self publicity courtesy of my licence fee.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I hate to say this but I still suspect most of our household recycling is going into land fill. I mean, how do they separate all that shit out? It must cost a fortune.

*** Boring answer coming up ***

I sat on a residents panel to discuss with City Clean what we wanted from the service. As part of that I got to tour the recycling plant at Hollingdean. A caveat here that this is only for B&H, I have no idea what Faversham do !

The whole process is very clever. The glass is the easy bit as it's kept separate here. It's unloaded into a hopper and goes down a conveyor belt where 'pickers' take out any thing that isn't glass. It's then loaded onto a huge truck to take to Battersea for recycling.

The other materials, which are mixed, involves a more tricky operation. First it's put into a hopper and then down a conveyor belt. Pickers then remove anything that isn't recyclable ( some people just chuck any old rubbish in - wrong, wrong, wrong ). Then it passes under a huge magnet that removes anything metal - tins etc. This metal is then crushed and baled and sent to recycling. Then comes the paper recovery. It goes into a huge hamster type wheel and the technology removes it - they did tell us how it works but I can't remember. The paper is then compacted and put into bales and once again sent for recycling. That leaves the plastic which is also crushed and sent for recycling. Anything they pick out as erroneous is sent to Newhaven for burning.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I sat on a residents panel to discuss with City Clean what we wanted from the service. As part of that I got to tour the recycling plant at Hollingdean. A caveat here that this is only for B&H, I have no idea what Faversham do !

The whole process is very clever. The glass is the easy bit as it's kept separate here. It's unloaded into a hopper and goes down a conveyor belt where 'pickers' take out any thing that isn't glass. It's then loaded onto a huge truck to take to Battersea for recycling.

The other materials, which are mixed, involves a more tricky operation. First it's put into a hopper and then down a conveyor belt. Pickers then remove anything that isn't recyclable ( some people just chuck any old rubbish in - wrong, wrong, wrong ). Then it passes under a huge magnet that removes anything metal - tins etc. This metal is then crushed and baled and sent to recycling. Then comes the paper recovery. It goes into a huge hamster type wheel and the technology removes it - they did tell us how it works but I can't remember. The paper is then compacted and put into bales and once again sent for recycling. That leaves the plastic which is also crushed and sent for recycling. Anything they pick out as erroneous is sent to Newhaven for burning.

Cheers for that. I'll have a dig around to find out what happens here......:thumbsup:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Second bit of pointless virtue signalling by our first family of scroungers in recent weeks.

Prince I am in my seventies and have never wiped my own arse Charles has converted his Aston Martin to run on wine wastage (thanks that more than compensates for all those private jet journeys) and now his slacked jawed son grabs a spot of self publicity courtesy of my licence fee.

Agree that Charles' thing with his car is probably nothing more than virtue signalling (unless he's personally funded the R&D to make it happen), although he has been involved in green initiatives for a long time, but in William's case I'm as confident as I can be that he's serious about fixing the environment. There's a lot of time, effort, and resource gone into the Earthshot prize. Just dismissing it out of hand like this is wrong. He's worked with Attenborough on it for a few years now, and they've got significant backing from green organisations and philanthropic funds to help make it happen.

It may or may not have happened without William being involved, but fact is he is involved and his involvement so far has been more than just putting his name and royal status behind it at the last minute: he's a founder and driving force behind getting it running and making sure it's funded.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Agree that Charles' thing with his car is probably nothing more than virtue signalling (unless he's personally funded the R&D to make it happen), although he has been involved in green initiatives for a long time, but in William's case I'm as confident as I can be that he's serious about fixing the environment. There's a lot of time, effort, and resource gone into the Earthshot prize. Just dismissing it out of hand like this is wrong. He's worked with Attenborough on it for a few years now, and they've got significant backing from green organisations and philanthropic funds to help make it happen.

It may or may not have happened without William being involved, but fact is he is involved and his involvement so far has been more than just putting his name and royal status behind it at the last minute: he's a founder and driving force behind getting it running and making sure it's funded.

Fair enough - I wasn't really looking for an abundance of likes for that post and I wasn't disappointed.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Rant over….

Rant misplaced.... There were five four long episodes shown on the bbc and available on iplayer which covered all of them, and more, in detail

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003

Prinve Charles is arguably the greatest philanthropist the world has ever seen. He has mobilised huge amounts of funding for environmental causes and other worthy projects, and his sons have continued in that vein. Yes, they use their position to do so, but they are using it the right way. Case in point, he brokered the $1 billion pact between Norway and Indonesia to reduce deforestation in Indonesia, which resulted in a moratorium on clearing of primary rainforest and peatlands.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Prinve Charles is arguably the greatest philanthropist the world has ever seen. He has mobilised huge amounts of funding for environmental causes and other worthy projects, and his sons have continued in that vein. Yes, they use their position to do so, but they are using it the right way. Case in point, he brokered the $1 billion pact between Norway and Indonesia to reduce deforestation in Indonesia, which resulted in a moratorium on clearing of primary rainforest and peatlands.

This one? https://redd-monitor.org/2021/09/13/indonesia-scraps-us1-billion-redd-deal-with-norway/ or another one?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Thanks, not boring at all, I love stuff like that! Just out of interest where does the plastic go? Sincerely hope it isn't put on a fume-belching ship and transported to the Far East - where it could well get dumped in the sea. (But hey, not our problem in Brighton).

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003

That's the f*cker, and don't worry, i work with projects related to that deal all the time, I'm well aware of it. Despite the headline, there have been a lot of successes arising, notably the presidential moratoriums created to prevent deforestation and carbon rich peatlands that have persisted to this day and are being extended beyond the life of the Norway deal. Essentially Indonesia has become very nationalistic of late and doesn't want to be seen to be 'bribed' by other countries to protect their environment. But many of the positive steps that have happened in the past decade came about because of this deal - it has most definitely been a net positive since 2010. Plus it will almost certainly be resurrected, this is Indonesia we're taking about here! If you've ever wondered what a spoilt child would look like in country form, that's Indonesia! Toys go out the pram now and again, but pacified easily enough.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I didn't know any of that.

The royals are in favour of hunting, though, aren't they?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here