Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Medical Emergency - at Newcastle?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As I have mentioned before, when I had my first cardiac arrest, my sons accidentally dropped me as they were moving me from the bed to the floor. I was told later, it probably saved my life.

The funny thing is - when giving CPR you literally cannot make the situation any worse if someone is in cardiac arrest. So does not surprise me

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I saw on the local news that the fan involved is in hospital and doing well. One of the fans near him was an A&E doctor who administered the shock, another was a nurse and about a minute later another fan turned up to help who just so happened to be an Intensive Care doctor. Goes to show that a football match is a pretty good place to have a heart attack.

Edit: see the post above!!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Anyone can do quite a few of the FA First Aid modules online.

https://thebootroom.thefa.com/learning/qualifications/medical-courses

It's better than nothing. Although my workplace tried to just do e-learning for First Aid. I had to do compressions and a defib on a client and the next day I booked into a practical, tutor in the room First Aid course on my own pound and feel much more confident now. I've since had to do CPR and defib quite a few times at work and I am grateful for doing the practical course. But as you say, it's good to get any training.

My best advice would be don't let the first time you have to defib someone be the first time you've ever touched an AED. It's confusing enough as it is without having to figure out a new piece of kit. Although AED's now tell you exactly what to da and administer the shock automatically if required. But nothing is panic proof.

As someone posted earlier, you cannot make the situation worse but vital seconds lost can be the difference between life and death or someone making a full recovery or being brain damaged for life.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
As many people as possible should be trained how to use and just as importantly, maintain AED’s.

Just done this very course 2 weekends ago along with CPR training. Barts Lifesavers ran it at a village hall local to me,£25.00 and a certificate at the end of it. I know there have been a few examples of people having an episode at the Amex and got to thinking how awful I would feel if I was in the proximity, a defibrillator was available, and I didn't know how to use it. Truth be told it's likely to be me that requires it with that 130+ steps up to Wet Stand Upper!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Just done this very course 2 weekends ago along with CPR training. Barts Lifesavers ran it at a village hall local to me,£25.00 and a certificate at the end of it. I know there have been a few examples of people having an episode at the Amex and got to thinking how awful I would feel if I was in the proximity, a defibrillator was available, and I didn't know how to use it. Truth be told it's likely to be me that requires it with that 130+ steps up to Wet Stand Upper!

Excellent. Good man. One of the things I agree with that this government is pushing is for more people to be First Aid trained. Well done, in my opinion it's an essential course for everyone.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I did the CPR thing many ago as part of an advanced first aid course Thankfully I’ve never had to use it.

I also did the Hiemlich manoeuvre thing, and I have had to use it twice. Thankfully it worked both times.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I did see an old boy on the floor with medics at the top of WSU down the north stand end at about 5pm. Got taken off in a Evac-chair thing but hopefully ok

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here