Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Medical Emergency - at Newcastle?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Amazing the Spurs game was stopped for several minutes so that a single fan out of the 50,000 present could receive medical treatment.
Don't they have ambulances in Newcastle?

Course, no more of this pussyfooting around under the new ownership. Anyone else threatening in future to hold up milions of global ad revenue for a mere medical emergency will soon be looking at their very own St James' Park Khashoggi Goodbye.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought it was magnificent.

Outside the stadium the bloke would have died.

Edit and well done Reguilon for recognizing what had happened and getting the man with the defibrillator over quickly.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
I thought it was magnificent.

Outside the stadium the bloke would have died.

Indeed. The time it took for the supporter to get ill, to the fans in the vicinity making the stewards and players aware, to the players making the medical staff aware was a lot quicker than the attention he may have received anywhere else.

As you say, outside the stadium he would have died. According to reports he was in a stable condition when he left for the hospital. Makes football seem very significant and insignificant at the same time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I should add that I'm developing a drug that fat blokes who might get a bit excited at the football and have acute myocardial ischaemia can take with their breakfast, that has no pharmacology, but is converted to an active drug in the ischaemic myocardium where it stops the fibrillation before it starts. One of the referees of my research paper is quibbling over whether this is a real unmet need :facepalm:

He's (evidently) a hospital doctor who gets to see only the lucky ones that make it as far as the hospital.....most of us who get acute myocardial ischaemia and go into VF (it takes a few minutes from healthy to VF if the obstruction is high up the coronary artery) die because there is nobody handy to save them.

I could go on....and one day I will, but not now.

I found the whole thing....quite affecting.

Best wishes to the poor sod, and well done those who acted quickly. Ginola nailed it at half time :bowdown:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The fact that the fan was in one of the front rows was undoubtedly a factor. Not great on optics, if the game carries on while some poor soul is visibly getting the defibrillator. Thank christ he wasn't up in the gods in the away end.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Not trivialising the incident at all (get well soon chum) but it happens at football quite often doesn't it?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I should add that I'm developing a drug that fat blokes who might get a bit excited at the football and have acute myocardial ischaemia can take with their breakfast, that has no pharmacology, but is converted to an active drug in the ischaemic myocardium where it stops the fibrillation before it starts.

FFS, I was about to start working on something like this.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Amazing the Spurs game was stopped for several minutes so that a single fan out of the 50,000 present could receive medical treatment.

Course, no more of this pussyfooting around under the new ownership. Anyone else threatening in future to hold up milions of global ad revenue for a mere medical emergency will soon be looking at their very own St James' Park Khashoggi Goodbye.

In a new stadium it would probably been resolved quicker - all new arenas require enough space for ambulances to get next to the pitch (which is the main reason people are not as close to the action as in the old days). Never been to St James obviously, but it looks like there isnt enough space for that. So its probably a bit more of a hassle getting someone out of the stadium and in to the hospital.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The fact that the fan was in one of the front rows was undoubtedly a factor. Not great on optics, if the game carries on while some poor soul is visibly getting the defibrillator. Thank christ he wasn't up in the gods in the away end.

Here's one for you. Fan's United (vs Hartlepool). I was sat in the South Stand. I left late after the final whistle - we were taking it all in, as one may well have done, frankly, on that day. As I was leaving I saw one bloke sitting still, and two St John's ambulance people with him, handwringing a bit. The bloke looked dead to me. I was on the horns of a dilemma because at the time I was not 'trained', and back then its was still blowing in the mouth. My work in research had shown me that when a lab rat goes into VF you can bring them back by thumping the chest. I asked them if they needed help but they said no. But they weren't doing anything. I have never had the courage to look up what happened to him. These days a chest thump is recognised as part of the intervention. I wish I don't have the memory of that. I might have been arrested had I waded in, chest thumping, but I still feel like I bottled it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
In a new stadium it would probably been resolved quicker - all new arenas require enough space for ambulances to get next to the pitch (which is the main reason people are not as close to the action as in the old days). Never been to St James obviously, but it looks like there isnt enough space for that. So its probably a bit more of a hassle getting someone out of the stadium and in to the hospital.

Lucky it wasn’t an away fan, medic would have had a heart attack trying to race up there.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Amazed at such a stupid post. Clearly you weren't watching the match.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Here's one for you. Fan's United (vs Hartlepool). I was sat in the South Stand. I left late after the final whistle - we were taking it all in, as one may well have done, frankly, on that day. As I was leaving I saw one bloke sitting still, and two St John's ambulance people with him, handwringing a bit. The bloke looked dead to me. I was on the horns of a dilemma because at the time I was not 'trained', and back then its was still blowing in the mouth. My work in research had shown me that when a lab rat goes into VF you can bring them back by thumping the chest. I asked them if they needed help but they said no. But they weren't doing anything. I have never had the courage to look up what happened to him. These days a chest thump is recognised as part of the intervention. I wish I don't have the memory of that. I might have been arrested had I waded in, chest thumping, but I still feel like I bottled it.

As I have mentioned before, when I had my first cardiac arrest, my sons accidentally dropped me as they were moving me from the bed to the floor. I was told later, it probably saved my life.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As many people as possible should be trained how to use and just as importantly, maintain AED’s.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
As I have mentioned before, when I had my first cardiac arrest, my sons accidentally dropped me as they were moving me from the bed to the floor. I was told later, it probably saved my life.

They were after their inheritance a wee bit early :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here