Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 1 goal in 3 games

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
First of all, this isn’t meant to be overly negative at all as our points total and league position are amazing and I think Potter is fantastic. And obviously we’ve only conceded 1 in those 3 games so defensively we’re very good.

But looking for constructive ways to improve, 1 goal in 3 games against very mediocre opposition is not great if we’re looking to try and consolidate a top half position. Where do we think we can improve this with the players we have available?

For one, I would like to see Mac Allister used a bit more as I think he is a really clever player who gets in really dangerous positions and always looks to move forward. Personally I would rather he than Gross at the moment.

And two, I would like to see someone else taking the set pieces. With Dunk, Duffy, Webster and or Burn in the middle we really should be looking to score more than we do from these - 1 goal from corners from 8 games so far. Gross’s delivery has generally been really poor from quite a few opportunities so far this season. When Trossard and March have taken them we have looked more dangerous.

Any other suggestions?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Enjoy the ride in what is currently our best ever season since we were formed?

It is very unlikely to get any better this season.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
First of all, this isn’t meant to be overly negative at all as our points total and league position are amazing and I think Potter is fantastic. And obviously we’ve only conceded 1 in those 3 games so defensively we’re very good.

But looking for constructive ways to improve, 1 goal in 3 games against very mediocre opposition is not great if we’re looking to try and consolidate a top half position. Where do we think we can improve this with the players we have available?

For one, I would like to see Mac Allister used a bit more as I think he is a really clever player who gets in really dangerous positions and always looks to move forward. Personally I would rather he than Gross at the moment.

And two, I would like to see someone else taking the set pieces. With Dunk, Duffy, Webster and or Burn in the middle we really should be looking to score more than we do from these - 1 goal from corners from 8 games so far. Gross’s delivery has generally been really poor from quite a few opportunities so far this season. When Trossard and March have taken them we have looked more dangerous.

Any other suggestions?

The crosses into the box are consistently poor.
Several times yesterday, great approach play down the side of their penalty area was undone by a cross that was behind the Albion players in the box or blocked by the first defender.
Unfortunately, when we did actually get a great delivery Maupay missed from close range. If he had more of those, he would definitely score one or even two!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Told you the club ****ed by not signing a striker

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Over the course of the first few games, where there was much "Brighton have sorted out their goalscoring problem" and "what have Brighton changed this season?" type stuff in the media, I was thinking "Oh no we haven't" and "nothing".

We had a bit of good fortune over the first few games but, frankly, we were due a bit.

We remain what we have been for a while: a very good footballing side lacking a clinical edge.

Obtaining that clinical edge is difficult, costly and there are no guarantees that any attempted solution will work.

Fortunately our miserly defence helps mitigate what we lack at the other end of the pitch.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Enjoy the ride in what is currently our best ever season since we were formed?

It is very unlikely to get any better this season.

100% agreed Icy. As I say, I’m delighted where we are at the moment, just trying to look at ways to improve our goal output which I think we need to to make that top 10 position.

Two tough games coming up where we’re unlikely to score many, if any, so that could potentially be 1 goal in 5 and 8 in 10 league games. It’s an area I think we do need to try and improve.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
We need a clinical finisher.. If Muzza had been on the end of the chance that Maupay miraculously managed to lift over the bar yesterday he would have scored it 11 times out of 10.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The crosses into the box are consistently poor.
Several times yesterday, great approach play down the side of their penalty area was undone by a cross that was behind the Albion players in the box or blocked by the first defender.
Unfortunately, when we did actually get a great delivery Maupay missed from close range. If he had more of those, he would definitely score one or even two!

Lallana’s shot from the edge of the area was quality and was well saved by Krull who got away with the rebound off him and Trossard’s shot that was tipped onto the bar was sublime. Solly’s twisting and turning and cross deserved a much better finish from Maupay.

Norwich’s finishing from their breaks was appalling, I really hope we adjust our pressing against City as we will get thumped with the same tactics. Trust in GP to have a totally different game plan.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021

Any other suggestions?

I agree about Gross. I would like to see Moder taking set pieces as he does for Poland

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think the main struggle is that there is no one to carry the ball past their first line of defense. Webster and Bissouma are the ones usually doing this. Instead of just carrying the ball past their forwards and midfielders, the team now needs to pass and combine through it, which is more difficult and results in slower buildup and more mistakes.

I only saw second half against Arsenal but against both CP and Norwich the team didnt create enough chances to score more than one goal, really. So yeah maybe a bit more Ali Mac (maybe, not entirely sure he is that type of player) as neither Gross or Lallana are going to start sprinting past opponents any time soon. Hopefully Webster and Bissouma will be back soon.

I have to object against the "very mediocre teams" thing though (and I'm also sure all of their fans were saying the same about Brighton). There is no such thing in the Premier League. No one won a lottery to get to the currently best league in the world and no one won a lottery to stay up. I dont think there has ever been a season where a team ending up in the bottom 3 didnt beat a team ending up in the top 3. When people use those "predict all results" websites, the bottom teams usually end up with 20 or so points with three or four getting close to 100, which is never happening in reality. Its a tough sport. To say that there are no easy games is no exaggeration. This applies to a lot of sports but football in particular because in a low scoring game the much scorned concept of "luck" plays a significant part.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We need a clinical finisher.. If Muzza had been on the end of the chance that Maupay miraculously managed to lift over the bar yesterday he would have scored it 11 times out of 10.

It's actually quite bizarre how often we manage to achieve that rarified skill of lifting the ball over the bar from just about point blank range. Who's taking the coaching sessions? The Krankies?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think the main struggle is that there is no one to carry the ball past their first line of defense. Webster and Bissouma are the ones usually doing this. Instead of just carrying the ball past their forwards and midfielders, the team now needs to pass and combine through it, which is more difficult and results in slower buildup and more mistakes.

I only saw second half against Arsenal but against both CP and Norwich the team didnt create enough chances to score more than one goal, really. So yeah maybe a bit more Ali Mac (maybe, not entirely sure he is that type of player) as neither Gross or Lallana are going to start sprinting past opponents any time soon. Hopefully Webster and Bissouma will be back soon.

I have to object against the "very mediocre teams" thing though (and I'm also sure all of their fans were saying the same about Brighton). There is no such thing in the Premier League. No one won a lottery to get to the currently best league in the world and no one won a lottery to stay up. I dont think there has ever been a season where a team ending up in the bottom 3 didnt beat a team ending up in the top 3. When people use those "predict all results" websites, the bottom teams usually end up with 20 or so points with three or four getting close to 100, which is never happening in reality. Its a tough sport. To say that there are no easy games is no exaggeration. This applies to a lot of sports but football in particular because in a low scoring game the much scorned concept of "luck" plays a significant part.

I totally agree with all the early part of what you say and no one should really be complaining about anything when sat on this points total after 8 games. However I do think there are mediocre sides in the League but that's more to do with Covid and less money having been spent in the last transfer window. There are 3 sides at the bottom of the League who haven't even won a game yet and we are 8 games into the season. And there is another 3 who have only won 1 game.

Where Brighton find themselves is quite phenomenal in terms of League Position to date but there definitely are quite a few very average teams in the League this year due to the lack of signings by some clubs during that last transfer window.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
100% agreed Icy. As I say, I’m delighted where we are at the moment, just trying to look at ways to improve our goal output which I think we need to to make that top 10 position.

Two tough games coming up where we’re unlikely to score many, if any, so that could potentially be 1 goal in 5 and 8 in 10 league games. It’s an area I think we do need to try and improve.

We might not score any in the next 30. Then that will be 1 in 33.

Shambles.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here